January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Everything after this is just gravy.  The more outs we can shift the better, as they'll have been deemed surplus by Bruce so that's OK.  I kind of expect a striker to come in, although I bet we'll sell one as well in that situation.  All in all we're well set up for the remainder of the season, and chasing down those pesky Owls :) 

A striker will surely come in given SB was targeting Rhodes last week.

Be interested to see who plan B is....

28 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Seeing an awful lot of comments about what fantastic business we've done, how we've bought players who will be worth zillions, what a great job the board have done etc.

And I would stress fine, if that's how someone feels.

IMO that's why, a little further down the line, there is so much dissappointmdnt and anger directed at the players.

People were by and large very pleased with our summer spending, other than recognising there was more to do, yet very quickly Elphick, Gollini, Jedi, Tish, and McCormack and even Kodja have been often complained about, and their and the others character questioned pretty intensely.

I even remember when we bought Westwood that Crewes fans rated him highly.

As yet we have no real idea how well they will do, or their real levels of ability, and certainly not their 'character'.

So for me, I am pleased the Manager had been backed with what he thinks we need, impressed we've secured what appear to be decent players in the notoriously difficult window, and as most people always excited when new players come.

I will hang fire on the more celebratory stuff and keep my expectations at a low level however until I see how it goes. They are Championship players after all we aren't signing Ronaldo

And will be less likely to knock them later,

Hourihane and Bree both played and beat Leeds at the weekend. That shows to me they've got great character as both knew they were coming here and were still professional enough to do their job. Thor was part of an Iceland team who's biggest trait was their character and as for Lansbury from everything we've read and seen in the little he's been here shows he has a big character and wants to win. Going off of your post even if we signed Ronaldo you'd have to be wary!! 

You have to judge players at the time. When we signed Westwood and when he first came into the team he was a good addition. Over time that's waned and now he isn't good enough. If you don't celebrate our signings when they come in you may never do it but for me I think If Lansbury's debut is anything to go off he'll be a good signing and I'm very excited to see what the others bring.  This hasn't any bearing to whether over time they aren't good enough and they get slagged. That's football. 

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Everything after this is just gravy.  The more outs we can shift the better, as they'll have been deemed surplus by Bruce so that's OK.  I kind of expect a striker to come in, although I bet we'll sell one as well in that situation.  All in all we're well set up for the remainder of the season, and chasing down those pesky Owls :) 

I'm thinking Ayew may be one of the likely ones to go, Kozak also? Or McCormack under late consideration. Would kinds like him to stay though because as said with us, 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards, let's not buy a midfield then sell all the strikers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I think the difference is with 3 of these signings Hourihane, Bree and Lansbury is that their previous clubs did not want to sell.

Jedinek, Elphick even Adomah were surplus to requirements elsewhere.

Any transfer is a gamble but the vast majority are happy with the business done so Tony and Bruce have played a blinder.

I hope we are all patient enough to let them figure out each other's game.

The good thing here is we've signed three midfielders, not just one.

Imagine if Lansbury was our only midfield signing and the pressure he'd be under. The three coming in can all shoulder the burden and all have different qualities that can improve our middle considerably.

It's laughable RDM only signed Tshibola as a central midfield for the start of the season...too much pressure placed on a kid to immediately perform and he's struggled with that and injuries.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm thinking Ayew may be one of the likely ones to go, Kozak also? Or McCormack under late consideration. Would kinds like him to stay though because as said with us, 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards, let's not buy a midfield then sell all the strikers.

Don't worry JV we still have Gabby right ;)

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Kozak's just taking up budget at this point and gone in the summer. rather inconsequential at this point.
I'm amazed Gabby isn't on your list ;)
Also do we try and cash in on RHM now?

A  new striker is a must...even if McCormack knuckles down I still have no real idea how he fits into this team and Ayew has been a major disappointment at this level in terms of goal output.

We've been pretty clueless going forward without Kodjia so I'd be amazed if the manager is that complacent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

It's most likely going to be Rhodes isn't it. Has deadline day written all over it.

Boro in talks with Jese from PSG, that would be a major coup for them.

I think Rhodes will go on loan, clearly we don't want to pay what Boro are asking for.

He needs crosses though to be effective...not sure if he'd fit any better into our team than McCormack would tbh.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think Rhodes will go on loan, clearly we don't want to pay what Boro are asking for.

He needs crosses though to be effective...not sure if he'd fit any better into our team than McCormack would tbh.

That's strange to hear, I don't know what type of player he is to be honest but I was lead to believe he was more of the Poacher type and Gestede was the Target man type when they played together?

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd take Rhodes on loan with an option to buy clause if he settles in, if we cant agree on a permanent deal now.

sure I read that Kozak has gone on loan overseas .

Edited by Eastie

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That's strange to hear, I don't know what type of player he is to be honest but I was lead to believe he was more of the Poacher type and Gestede was the Target man type when they played together?

To poach goals you need crosses across the 6 yard box like Bent needed...

Yes I'd class Rhodes as a finisher siMilar to bent - create the chances and he will put them away . Could work well with kodjia and would give us many options .

40 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Quite right. I am happy with some of our signings, but some of the comments about the best transfer window ever are a bit over the top in my opinion. Hopefully these signings are the starting blocks and foundations to move us back in the right direction. There is still a long way to go before this squad is a decent mid table PL team, but I am more hopeful than I was at the beginning of January..

I honestly have not seen anyone say it is the 'best transfer window ever'. Maybe they have, in which case the proof of the pudding will of course be in the eating. At the same time, people are right to be excited IMO. They have attempted to fix a massive unbalance within the squad that we could all see by signing the very two players in particular who were waaaaaay up almost everybody's list. 

If you told me a few weeks back that not to worry too much about the gaping hole in midfield, we will be signing Lansbury and Hourihane to attempt to fill it, I'd have spaffed my pants. Because I see potential in the team and I honestly can't think of two better, more balanced players than those two to correct the issue. Realistically speaking of course. They also signed my favourite player from the Euro's so heck, yeah I'm excited. Very. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2