Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

for me the answer is "not sure" but a certain "no" to AVFC getting promoted if we sack him...i dont think the club could cope with rebuilding the backroom as well as the playing staff sufficiently to challenge the top 6

i'm still bruce in...but lets see how the season starts - if he gets the youngsters in the first 18 (which we wont have a choice) and lets the reigns off them we might see some entertaining games

Why didn't he give them more game time last season. Nah I was only tolerating Bruce in the hope he got promotion

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Those who thought bruce was the right man were wrong. I can't see how anything that has been reported since his failure could lead anyone to continue to believe in him. 

There is absolutely no chance Bruce promotes the new version of avfc. It requires more than just man management and i'm afraid he doesn't seem to have anything other than that at this point in his career. 

I wouldn't be averse to the team and Head Coach system.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

He's had his chance and failed , he needs to go. One example of the failure..... He threw Baker's transfer fee on Terry's wages and now we need to replace Terry with a player who's not gonna be as good as Baker. Our defensive record with Baker was good, 3rd best in the league. The defence didn't need strengthing.

Landsbury should have been given game time , he's a good offensive midfielder with proven experience in the championship.

If Bruce isn't sacked then Xia has lost interest and we're destined for more Lerner style abandonment. UTV. 

Very good post and your first point concerning Baker was something I’d mentioned when Terry was signed.

I just wonder how much Landsbury is earning? Sustainable or another to go?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Would that be the same Stoke that appointed Gary Rowett as manager only a few days ago?

Haha. I don't follow other clubs... 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

He's had his chance and failed , he needs to go. One example of the failure..... He threw Baker's transfer fee on Terry's wages and now we need to replace Terry with a player who's not gonna be as good as Baker. Our defensive record with Baker was good, 3rd best in the league. The defence didn't need strengthing.

Landsbury should have been given game time , he's a good offensive midfielder with proven experience in the championship.

If Bruce isn't sacked then Xia has lost interest and we're destined for more Lerner style abandonment. UTV. 

I said this at the time as well, it wasn't a go at Terry as I think he's a good player.. but Baker we could have got another 10 years plus of service whereas Terry was an all eggs in one basket approach

Like you say our defence was fine, we could have used those Terry funds getting a proper striker in, we were struggling up top until Grabban came in. 

I didn't see the point of Whelan ether, just another aging body that was destined to be added to the deadwood list. Said this at the time as well.

In fact all of Buces permanent signings (bar Hourihane & Bree) have been ether short sighted or plain shit (Taylor, Terry, Whelan, Hogan, Samba, El Mohamaddy, Lansbury) and all on big wages.

• Like 1

I just posted in another thread was surprised the last 10 league games Whelan played in resulted in 9 consecutive wins and draw against Derby. He's actually decent DM unlike Thor

CAN Bruce get us promoted? Yes, of course he CAN.

WILL he get us promoted? That I genuinely don't know. I'm leaning towards no.

A massive amount depends on what the squad looks like in a few weeks.

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I just posted in another thread was surprised the last 10 league games Whelan played in resulted in 9 consecutive wins and draw against Derby. He's actually decent DM unlike Thor

Whelan is a good player.

Another one who people made their mind up on after a handful of games and have struggled to change their opinion since.

He and Jedinak are comfortably superior to Thor, despite Thor's improvements and admirable performances in the second half of the season.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Surprise a few people! How? He has been in football management for over 20 years and has adopted the same style of play season after season so what uber miracle is he going to perform next season that will be such a shock!

Suprise people not his playing style in I think Bruce would have a successful season at villa. He is experienced he knows the league he knows the players the club. People just seem to think Bruce will just flop. I don't think he will.

The football might stay the same but I didn't here many complaining when we were winning games. I don't care about style as long a s we are successful. Yes we didn't go up but we were a whisker away.

Like I said before all depends on bruces vision. If its just sign old men again then he should leave. But if he is interested in building a side for the future and using more youngsters then i woukd stick with bruce.

He knows how to setup a defence, makes us strong at home and always has the dressing room support which i like. He also dont take crap like what McCormack did

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I get the whole "lets throw everything at it" approach we took. I understand why you want and need experience in your squad.

But poor managers always use experience over youth - it's the easy option. You actually have to coach and develop the youth players.

I'm not convinced Bruce can do this. If we are going to "start over", we should do so with the manager first.

Hmm. And if bruce used the youngsters and we finished 10th then people would moan. I think the approach would ahve worked if kodjia and grealish did not have such long term injuries.

Also the poor start did not help. It's too early to say if these youngsters are good enough. I'm certain we will heavily rely on younger players this year and I think we will then know how good or bad they are.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Suprise people not his playing style in I think Bruce would have a successful season at villa. He is experienced he knows the league he knows the players the club. People just seem to think Bruce will just flop. I don't think he will.

The football might stay the same but I didn't here many complaining when we were winning games. I don't care about style as long a s we are successful. Yes we didn't go up but we were a whisker away.

Like I said before all depends on bruces vision. If its just sign old men again then he should leave. But if he is interested in building a side for the future and using more youngsters then i woukd stick with bruce.

He knows how to setup a defence, makes us strong at home and always has the dressing room support which i like. He also dont take crap like what McCormack did

Bruce's strategy (if you can call it that) is flawed and unsustainable. A good article in MOMS sums up exactly what I think of him.

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/aston-villas-flawed-and-wasteful-championship-strategy-analysed/

There's some awfully short memories on this thread. We should be thanking Bruce for saving us from becoming Sunderland not tearing him apart. He may or may not be the answer next season, but at least next season we have a chance!

Edited by pintpotvilla
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think there is a misconception of how good our youngsters are. If they were good enough they would play. Grealish aside, Gardner is one of the most talented players too come out of our youth setup and even he struggled playing for us. 

Ive no doubt some of our younger players will have decent championship careers similar to how Robinson has managed at Preston. 

But I don’t think they are as good as we like to believe and even when given a chance will struggle to match the expectations of the fans. 

well davis did well when he came in...o'hare and green too in their limited games. as for the others the jury's out cause we havent seen them at this level

Actually I have changed my mind - I think he should he should go:-

1.He Brought in John Terry for an outlay of £3.6m - and sold Nathan Baker to finance this. Baker and Chester was ok season before. Whilst the defence improved under Terry the whole game plan became we won't concede lets nick one at the other end - and that approach became more prominent as the season went on

2.At every club Bruce has been at - he has struggled to find a guy who scores goals - he hasn't been able to do it at villa with available funding - what chance of him picking up a gem of a striker for next to nothing.

Â