Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

If you added the vision some want to his game he'd be playing for Chelsea or City.

He isn't going to change, imo we need to embrace his good points, of which there are many, and just keep fingers crossed he will occasionally accidentally pass.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If you added the vision some want to his game he'd be playing for Chelsea or City.

He isn't going to change, imo we need to embrace his good points, of which there are many, and just keep fingers crossed he will occasionally accidentally pass.

Not vision, just he's not passing to people he can clearly see. That isn't something that's ingrained in any players game. It's greed. Not his first time, squares it to McCormack against wolves we score. But he goes it alone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Not vision, just he's not passing to people he can clearly see. That isn't something that's ingrained in any players game. It's greed. Not his first time, squares it to McCormack against wolves we score. But he goes it alone. 

To be fair he went it alone in some key games where he scored from some daft angle and we got some points. Would love the moon on a stick but will settle for a selfish Kodjia. 

• Like 2

He does a lot of stuff very well.

He's very greedy though. But he scores goals (as opposed to Mr Ayew).

The more I watch him, the more I get frustrated by his lack of ability as a "target man". And I'm not blaming him, I'm more unhappy that as a team we fall back into treating him as one. Too often we lump balls up for him to hold up or flick on and he just doesn't have that in his game.

We need to play to his strengths more.

• Like 1

He seemed to not do much early on and Bruce was screaming at him to close down. McCormack continued to do that when he came on. 

Very frustrating player who scores goals but prevents us from scoring more with his lack of vision and selfishness. 

• Like 1

I still think he's more effective when playing as a wide forward. It's clear to me that when he's up front on his own, he often gets isolated and becomes completely ineffectual, and he's not going to win any headers. 

Needs to be played up front with McCormack or Gestede, or as an inside forward on the left in an attacking trio.

• Like 1

This guy is terribly frustrating to watch. Very greedy and selfish on the ball.  Refuses to pass to teammates. he even ran with the ball into his own half, under pressure and was still reluctant to pass it. 

He should have squared for RMC for the winner. Did he do the same against Wolves??  Would be so frustrating if you were RMC.

• Like 1

Very selfish. But you have to take that with some strikers. He's cost us a few points being reluctant to pass the ball, but he's also won us points by doing the same. I suppose it's also why he's at this level, if players had the strength, pace, etc that he does have and great vision, he'd not be in the Championship.

• Like 1

They said it last night on SkySports, when he got that chance, the Messi's and Aguero's of he world would have dinked the ball to McCormack, whereas the Kodjia's (et al) of the world get tunnel vision and go for goal, and that's the difference between being pretty good and trying to make it and the world class superstars.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

They said it last night on SkySports, when he got that chance, the Messi's and Aguero's of he world would have dinked the ball to McCormack, whereas the Kodjia's (et al) of the world get tunnel vision and go for goal, and that's the difference between being pretty good and trying to make it and the world class superstars.

For once a SS pundit got it right

(disclaimer - probably wanted to say something completely different - got confused - went all Dowie-esque "er ...... you know..... the thing is.......well if he'd of........ hmm........got... got.....got......erm.......yes.......he missed.......poor attempt........hmmm....... probably should have laid it off........was there anyone in the box Merse?.............yeah Villa just dont get enough bodies in the box for me Jeff......yeah....they need to spend big in the summer if they wanna go up

Edited by Grasshopper

If it was the other wat round, I'd be confident that McCormack would have squared it to Kodjia. You don't have to be world class to be aware of whats going on around you, and understand that its a team game 

After half a season I think it's fair to evaluate that we massively overpaid for him. 

9 goals is an ok return but I can think of several championship strikers who I would have before him. 

Thinks he's a lot better than he is, misses a host of chances and wastes too many attacks. 

Question marks over whether he should be the main striker if we really want to kick on in this league. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would get swallowed up in the premier league.

45 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Are you serious? 9 goals this season. Nobody else comes close to that.

Absolutely. Problem is our total lack of game plan. We just hoof it upwards and hope that something happens.

Thus far Kodjia has produced some great individual goals. Then again if he wasn't so greedy we'd have most likely scored a few more.

Him going away, will give others an opportunity to shine, and Bruce might finally be able to instill some much needed cohesion and collective endeavor to this team.

• Like 2

Â