James Chester

KJT123

Are we jist looling to find faults with players now ?

He made less errors under the other way weve been playing. People want a more attacking style of play which invariably means the other team get more chances yet we still have one of the meanest defences.

• Like 2

At this level he’s okay. Always seems to have a problem when pressured by an attacker, and not sure about his fitness, he was badly out of breath compared to Terry yesterday. If we go up , not sure he would be good enough in the Premiership, he wasn’t good enough for the barcodes at that level. But at the moment along with Terry he’s the best we’ve got.

The phenomenon of 'players who are too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League' is well understood by most people in the context of strikers, with Dwight Gayle looking like the latest example. But I don't see any reason it can't be extended to CB's, and there must be an argument about Chester in that regard. Certainly in the Premier League you would have to assume that his mistakes in the last two matches would have been punished by goals, rather than embarrassingly poor shots. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The phenomenon of 'players who are too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League' is well understood by most people in the context of strikers, with Dwight Gayle looking like the latest example. But I don't see any reason it can't be extended to CB's, and there must be an argument about Chester in that regard. Certainly in the Premier League you would have to assume that his mistakes in the last two matches would have been punished by goals, rather than embarrassingly poor shots. 

I think Chester probably is good enough (for a bottom half team looking to survive that is), he was solid enough over two seasons at Hull and at West Brom unlucky to be played out of position a lot (left back). 

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

At this level he’s okay. Always seems to have a problem when pressured by an attacker, and not sure about his fitness, he was badly out of breath compared to Terry yesterday. If we go up , not sure he would be good enough in the Premiership, he wasn’t good enough for the barcodes at that level. But at the moment along with Terry he’s the best we’ve got.

He didn’t play for Newcastle did he?

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

It's a stat that directly deals with your point about his errors leading to a chance on goal. Basically they really don't. 

Watch the Brentford 3-0 and Forest 2-1 losses last season. Both games after each other, 3 of the goals were entirely Chester’s fault.

These obviously don’t fall into whatever stats you’re looking up.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Watch the Brentford 3-0 and Forest 2-1 losses last season. Both games after each other, 3 of the goals were entirely Chester’s fault.

These obviously don’t fall into whatever stats you’re looking up.

I think he's a good player, admittedly I'm biased with also being Welsh. 

Is he a great player? No. But then that's why we're able to have him.

I think he'd walk into any other team in this division. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think he's a good player, admittedly I'm biased with also being Welsh. 

Is he a great player? No. But then that's why we're able to have him.

I think he'd walk into any other team in this division. 

Completely agree.

It DOES seem like I’m knocking him, but it’s only for balance sakes. He’s good but not great. 

• Like 1

We are lucky to have him imo.

He's a bottom half premier league centre half in ability as he was at Hull and West Brom after all. You can't say some of the defenders at the likes of Watford are better than him.

Who knows he could be even better than that if we get some good full backs and another good centre half if promotion is secured. Who knew Wes Morgan had premier league winning defending in him?! Look at Mee and Tarkowski at Burnley.

Anyway we need to go up otherwise he'll go. I don't believe he'd hang around for another year at this level.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Are we jist looling to find faults with players now ?

Well we are winning so people need something to complain about :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

He didn’t play for Newcastle did he?

Could you class WBA as barcodes? More Tesco bags I guess... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Bruce said he was playing with flu yesterday. 4 days off now for the whole squad.

You see, these are some of the things, we are not always aware of when we make our comments.

He got stuck at LB for WBA because he played for Pulis and he isn't 6'6''

Also, his fitness? He hasn't missed a league game for us (or even a minute I think) since he signed..

Very good player, comfortably a PL player too.

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Bruce said he was playing with flu yesterday. 4 days off now for the whole squad.

Bogey crap. He might have had a bad cold but if he had flu he would barely be able to get out of bed let alone play in a highly competitive professional sports match. 

I've told Bruce a million times before not to exaggerate. 

• Like 1

Â