James Chester

KJT123

47 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's not confirmation bias for me.  He's a very solid defender who made a whole load of positional errors last season which directly lead to goals.  The same way that Sam Johnstone made a lot of errors too - however, Johnstone got lambasted and Chester generally got praised.

Chester has been better this season - and I think pairing alongside Terry will have helped - but the criticism last season, for me, was warranted at times.

In that case wouldn't you say theirs a hint of confirmation bias from those that still Criticism him for his performances this year? Granted there arent many of those. 

As for last year i think in the whole he was good but I do remember errors that cost us. But his errors weren't in isolation whilst the rest of the team were playing well. We were just poor all round. 

He'd easily get in Liverpools back four, if only he was called Chestinho. 

The only thing holding him back from being a great defender is a little lack of pace on the turn and a bit more raw strength. 

But he's often a 7/10 player.  

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In that case wouldn't you say theirs a hint of confirmation bias from those that still Criticism him for his performances this year? Granted there arent many of those. 

As for last year i think in the whole he was good but I do remember errors that cost us. But his errors weren't in isolation whilst the rest of the team were playing well. We were just poor all round. 

No - as I don't think I've really criticised him this season.

His errors were entirely individual last season, whereas the team as a whole weren't great.  That's why they stood out.  He started this season fairly poorly, but has been better as it's progressed (as I say, I think Terry has helped) as is a solid defender - certainly good enough to be lower Premier League.  He's still positionally suspect at times, but his composure on the ball is superb.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ok. I completely disagree with your assessment of Chester and find it genuinely baffling. 

But that's beside the point. The point I was really making is that Johnstone got lambasted because he was really shit. Even if you don't rate Chester, for whatever reason, he was not even close to being as bad as Johnstone. That's why one got lambasted and the other didn't.

If you DO think Chester was as bad as Johnstone then this isn't even worth the debate because our opinion of Chester is as far apart as you can get.

You disagree that he's a solid enough defender but made a load of mistakes last season?

I don't know where I've said Chester was as bad as Johnstone - just that Johnstone took a lot of stick for individual errors, whereas Chester basically didn't.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You disagree that he's a solid enough defender but made a load of mistakes last season?

I don't know where I've said Chester was as bad as Johnstone - just that Johnstone took a lot of stick for individual errors, whereas Chester basically didn't.

I disagree that he made a "load" of mistakes and that he wasn't consistently excellent.

You didn't say that Chester was as bad Johnstone. But you questioned why Johnstone got stick for errors and Chester didn't. The answer is that Chester was our best player, and Johnstone was one of our worst. Better players tend to get a bit more leeway.

Not to mention Johnstone made a lot more.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree that he made a "load" of mistakes and that he wasn't consistently excellent.

You didn't say that Chester was as bad Johnstone. But you questioned why Johnstone got stick for errors and Chester didn't. The answer is that Chester was our best player, and Johnstone was one of our worst. Better players tend to get a bit more leeway.

Not to mention Johnstone made a lot more.

I don’t think he did - but Chester was certainly a better performer than Johnstone overall.

His defending in the 3-0 against Brentford and for Forest’s late winner was **** atrocious. Literally cost us points in both games. I think I remember those games particularly as they were back-to-back, in fairness.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:20, lapal_fan said:

He'd easily get in Liverpools back four, if only he was called Chestinho. 

The only thing holding him back from being a great defender is a little lack of pace on the turn and a bit more raw strength. 

But he's often a 7/10 player.  

Doug Ellis would get into Liverpool's back 4 ;)

• Haha 1

Â