Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 home games coming up.  Unlucky today and the team came into the game 2nd half.  But for the mistake,  it would have been Wednesday who were more happy with the point.

The season we got promoted under Saunders, we started with 3 draws.  lets keep things in perspective here.

• Like 3

Second half performance looked good and whilst we lost thanks to a ridiculously stupid error, I thought defensively we looked a bit better. There was one point when Gollini came out rashly and last season the defence would have panicked - but they coped, calmly, to remove the danger.

Still a long, long way to go - both in the season and for us to improve. Hopefully a strong team will be sent out against Luton in the week and a bit of morale built with a decent win. To lose it wouldn't be particularly helpful.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I thought he played a blinder to be honest, intentional or not. We contained them for 45 and then went for the jugular. Thought his changes were decent too and well timed. Not often I feel that way after a loss. 

If he continues to pick Westwood and Gardner at centre mid maybe I'll feel differently, but I am aware he is also finding his feet. His first competitive game and it's clear the squad still has a glaring hole in the middle of the park, considering that he did well. IMO. 

Whether he should have already fixed that glaring hole is another matter, of course. 

I think Tshibola will go someway to fixing that hole. I was impressed with him in his cameo. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KHV said:

I thought RDM got it wrong today and made some very poor choices 

Left back , right back , cm pairing , Gestede , Bacuna , ayew at left mid

but apart from that I think he got it spot on :)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Left back , right back , cm pairing , Gestede , Bacuna , ayew at left mid

but apart from that I think he got it spot on :)

Left back.. i guess we can understand Amavi is not ready. Great that he was on the bench ahead of Bennett. 

RB... Richards may get a run if he has a Bacuna style 'im now up for it' attitude. Bacuna wasnt too bad i thought.. better second half than first. Gestede did.. literally.. **** all. Think that 1 season he had was a fluke. 

Ayew needs to be upfront with McCormack. CM pairing all wrong. 

One thing I did notice was that their heads didn't drop when we conceded which was a major concern even in pre season. We could have scored when we were losing, so I'll take that positive. 

I can see another 3 players at least being put into that starting line up once they're done with business so won't overreact. Either way, I was fairly happy with the performance. Contained them first half and probably edged it second half. A draw would have been the fair result. 

Wow if he manages to get rid of Gabby and Lescott on top of the others we have already let go... its amazing. Half the job right there!

I dont mind if Bacuna and Richards stay.. they arent in favour with the fans but if their head space is in the right place.. they will give it their all.. like Bacuna did yesterday. Squad players at best though. Dont think anyone will come in for them. 

Deserved a draw yesterday. Unlucky to lose thanks to a killer deflection. 

Di Matteo did great. My only complaints would be Bacuna sub was too late and midfield needs improved (hopefully that will happen this week).

That second half performance encouraged me. Yes we lost but we have two home games coming up in the League which are easily winnable.

Play like we did in the second half and improve every game and I fancy our chances in this league.

6 hours ago, KHV said:

I thought RDM got it wrong today and made some very poor choices 

I agree. That setup was terrible. Midfield was too weak and movement was lacking. Nothing unexpected when you start Bacuna-Westwood-Gardner of course. 

There must also be a rule of never play Gestede when the full backs are Hutton and Cissokho. 

Â