Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

41 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I agree. That setup was terrible. Midfield was too weak and movement was lacking. Nothing unexpected when you start Bacuna-Westwood-Gardner of course. 

There must also be a rule of never play Gestede when the full backs are Hutton and Cissokho. 

To be fair alot of people were screaming gadner needs a chance and he bottled it. I dont think tish was fully fit tbh so therefore we didnt have many cm options

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The 'Gestede role' lol. I don't think anyone can play the Gestede role, it's a very shit role indeed. 

edited for realism

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

We seem to be getting better with our corners, now that McCormack is taking them. Hopefully, one day, we'll be able to arrange a decent throw-in.

Lack of movement showing for the ball is still shocking.

I thought he whipped in some terrific corners. I don't think I've seen corners that good since Solano was here. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The 'Gestede role' lol. I don't think anyone can play the Gestede role, it's a very unique role indeed. 

That, I do not deny.  However, if a player needs to come off after 75 minutes, then you don't keep him on because another player is not performing well.

I think we all know that Gestede is not the answer and likewise that he will not be starting for us come September.  There was a valid reason why he stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes yesterday.  That is the point, not how specific the "Gestede role" may be.

22 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

That, I do not deny.  However, if a player needs to come off after 75 minutes, then you don't keep him on because another player is not performing well.

I think we all know that Gestede is not the answer and likewise that he will not be starting for us come September.  There was a valid reason why he stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes yesterday.  That is the point, not how specific the "Gestede role" may be.

I think his presence from the start was absolutely unnecessary. It should have been Ayew and McCormack up front. Gestede should only ever be a plan B, i.e. if we need to switch things up or are chasing a game then throw him on to give us a different dimension and long ball option. 

Wednesday actually did this to decent effect yesterday, they threw on that big lump with like 30 mins to go and changed the dynamic somewhat. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think his presence from the start was absolutely unnecessary. It should have been Ayew and McCormack up front. Gestede should only ever be a plan B, i.e. if we need to switch things up or are chasing a game then throw him on to give us a different dimension and long ball option. 

Wednesday actually did this to decent effect yesterday, they threw on that big lump with like 30 mins to go and changed the dynamic somewhat. 

Well we'd all probably pick a different side.  I don't think I would have stated Gestede either.  If we'd have won 1-0 through a Gestede header though,  nobody would have been complaining.

I liked yesterdays line up-It was brave for such a tough fixture.  When we get a replacement for Gestede on board and a couple more attacking options in midfield, we have the potential to be quite potent.

• Like 1

I think this highlights how inept Gestede is up front for us. We need a striker like a Abel Hernandez who can lead the line, but also gives us movement. Don't think we really have the players to play with a target man. 

Also how Grealish didn't get a start is beyond me has been our best player in pre season, but only gets 10 minutes? Someone like Bacuna who has been consistently poor gets a start? 

The thing is, Gestede really didn't used to be quite this crap . . . you can watch games from his time at Blackburn where he just looked so much more lively. I think his confidence must be shot. Anyway, hopefully RDM can hire someone else to replace him. He needs to be a bench option at most until he hits some confidence. 

• Like 1

Â