Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

49 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I disagree.  A string a poor early results will get the fans on the backs of the players, which is even easier to do given we have retained a number of last seasons lot in our current first team. This will create a toxic atmosphere from the get go, thus making life more difficult. So a good start is pretty important in my book.

A large portion of our fanbase are already on the backs of the players as it's carried over from last season. It won't take long for it all to go tits up

Desperately hope I'm wrong but both RDM and Dr X have got it all to prove.  We are short minimum 4 players and are carrying loads of deadwood.  We look a middle of the road side at best.  Dr X talks a good game but talk is cheap. Personally I don't think RDM is a good fit for the job that is required - would be delighted to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

true but I think people arent happy with the same poxy tactics that cost us last season, a reliance on full backs for width and his starting of Bacuna everygame

rightly or wrongly I also think RDM lost a bit of goodwill from fans for not giving Petrov a contract

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have no idea where that idea is coming from. Can you expand?

just a feeling I have, place was full of optimism when Petrov was back and people seemed happy for the season to start. Petrov not getting a contract combined with the shambles from last season on Saturday has darkened atmosphere around the club

not helped today by Xia still being on Twitter

50 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Judging a manager on a few pre season friendlies with a squad he's only just inherited and half a transfer window is just mad. 

I have my concerns too over the direction we're going in, but throwing him under the bus at this stage beggars belief. 

We need a good 10 competitive games before we even begin to get a feel for how things are going. Even then, unless we're seeing extreme results one way or another it's still way too soon to be passing definite judgement. 

The same goes for ownership. Again despite my concerns, give them at least until the end of the transfer window before we start to ask real, searching questions. Anything else is plain unfair. 

People say "what's the problem, why not ask these questions now". Well, it spreads discontent. Panic. It creates an unnecessary atmosphere and disharmony which spreads from the message boards to the ground and worse case, onto the pitch. That's the last thing we need. 

I've always said, if Tony or whoever turns out to be a fraud I'll be back on the front line. But until that day, they have my support. Because I want to be a supporter, I want this club and it's fans to have that mentality. Call me selfish, but it's way more fun that way. 

Nobody is "throwing the manager/owner under the bus" but equally the purpose of a discussion site is to allow fans to say where we think we are right now - the idea that only postive comments are allowed and anything else will effect what happens on the pitch is both ludicrous and insulting

For me the jury is out at the moment on both Dr X and RDM - The Dr has talked the talk, big-time, but has so far not backed it up to the extent that his comments would suggest. Yes, he still has plenty of time to come good but as things stand I'm reserving judgement. Have we done as much as I expected so far? No not for me. That may change - to be honest, it has to change.

Likewise RDM has so far done or said nothing yet that inspires me with confidence that he is the right man for the job. Very early days of course, but my very early judegement is not positive.

That's my take on things so far. I thought that we would have a few more positive signs than we have seen. That can change very easily with a couple of inspiring transfers and a couple of inspiring results

• Like 2

Aston Villa: Roberto Di Matteo's message to the fans on the chase for a new striker

Roberto Di Matteo has hinted that he might need to turn on the charm in order to land his top striker target.

While the Aston Villa boss remains relaxed in his search for a new front-man, he’s also aware that his ways of persuasion could be called upon in times ahead.

The Championship season starts this weekend and Villa fans are concerned that they are yet to land a new goal-getter.

But the man in charge knows that another month of the transfer window remains and is confident he will soon get his man.

Asked if he is any closer, Di Matteo said: “It’s always a matter of knowing your realistic targets and being able to persuade them to come to our club.

“We have some targets who we are working on so we shall see how we get on.”

The Italian remained tight-lipped on the identity of those under consideration.

Ross McCormack was one striker Villa had looked at but he appears to be closing in a move to Norwich.

Bristol City’s Jonathan Kodjia and Patrick Bamford of Chelsea are thought to be on a long list but Di Matteo certainly seems to have a surprise target up his sleeve.

It’s possible that the manager is still waiting for Premier League clubs to complete their own business, and in turn, free up strikers currently on their books.

The Villa manager was keen to stress that his team are working hard behind the scenes and that there should soon be some movement.

“It’s not like we’re just sitting around just waiting,” he said.

“We’ve got some targets that we’re working on and we know that some players might leave. It will be in time.”

Villa have already signed three players - Pierluigi Gollini, Tommy Elphick and Aaron Tshibola.

Di Matteo hopes the new striker he is after shows as much encouragement and enthusiasm to join the club as the above trio.

“The three players who have signed had interest from other clubs as well,” he said.

“They were very happy to come here and be involved in this new project. We need players like that.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-roberto-di-matteos-11691143?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

just a feeling I have, place was full of optimism when Petrov was back and people seemed happy for the season to start. Petrov not getting a contract combined with the shambles from last season on Saturday has darkened atmosphere around the club

not helped today by Xia still being on Twitter

I think a Petrov comeback was always a long shot. He's 37, and he was pretty out of shape. That RDM isn't prone to sentimental roster moves is a damn good thing, IMO. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Nobody is "throwing the manager/owner under the bus" but equally the purpose of a discussion site is to allow fans to say where we think we are right now - the idea that only postive comments are allowed and anything else will effect what happens on the pitch is both ludicrous and insulting

I haven't said that. At all. Nothing even remotely like that. 

There are people declaring the owner a fraud and the manager not good enough. You only have to read the site, Twitter, talk to a few fans for ten minutes to see that. 

You're insulted by something that clearly isn't aimed at you. I myself have expressed concerns.

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

People say "what's the problem, why not ask these questions now". Well, it spreads discontent. Panic. It creates an unnecessary atmosphere and disharmony which spreads from the message boards to the ground and worse case, onto the pitch. That's the last thing we need. 

I've always said, if Tony or whoever turns out to be a fraud I'll be back on the front line. But until that day, they have my support. Because I want to be a supporter, I want this club and it's fans to have that mentality. Call me selfish, but it's way more fun that way. 

Dave I hadn't got a problem with your post until these last two paragraphs  and they sort of highlight a big bug bear for me recently .

For me the first paragraph I have quoted from you above is very much saying we shouldn't question things on the message board for fear of that questioning spreading to the pitch . If that's a big problem then all message boards need shutting down as it makes them redundant . It suggests that we should all have the same approach and opinion and links to the final paragraph in that.

you say you want fans to have that same mentality in the way they express their support, so presumably we should all show our support in that same way and not question things ? . We are all different people , we all do things / support the club for different reasons and in different ways. Someone posted on here the other day in response to an opinion I wrote "why are you even a villa fan" just that, nothing else no reasoned debate just that post. As if me questioning things suggested I wasn't , or worse shouldn't be, a fan. We are al different , we all have different opinions. Some may be close to other opinions but we express them and our support differently.

im not saying anyone is a better fan or not and I do not believe we should all think the same or act the same. Me I like the analogy that goes "your mate isn't the one that says yes to everything you wear on a night  out. Your mate is the one who says to you what the **** are you wearing that for you prat you'll look a right idiot" in terms of explaining support. But I accept and have no issue with people  thinking differently and taking a line that at this point they are not up for questioning. What I do have an issue with is the suggestion we should all be the same way about that and or  it is unhelpful to the club . This site and its posters , as frustrating as it can be, exist for various opinions on villa to be expressed and debated in an open and reasonable way . Was described to me at the start 13 years ago as a place to shoot the breeze about villa . If we should all feel the same or that debate was restricted to one view point , close the site now.

Thats how your last two paragraphs came across.

Edited by Richard
  • Like 3

What you've done there, like the poster before you, is take those comments out of context. The context that includes calling the owner a fraud and the manager clueless. 

There's a difference between that and showing concern. 

Basically, I think you've took it a bit too personal. 

• Like 1

Â