Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The Villa manager was keen to stress that his team are working hard behind the scenes and that there should soon be some movement.

“It’s not like we’re just sitting around just waiting,” he said.

I guess it's just a question of having faith that this time our manager knows what he is doing and will succeed in getting the personnel he wants.

But this quote did give me a baleful sense of déjà vu. We seem to have heard this stuff every summer for about the past 6 or 7 seasons. 

And we know how that ended up.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I guess it's just a question of having faith that this time our manager knows what he is doing and will succeed in getting the personnel he wants.

But this quote did give me a baleful sense of déjà vu. We seem to have heard this stuff every summer for about the past 6 or 7 seasons. 

And we know how that ended up.

there is nothing new under the sun

I am just not convinced about RDM at the moment- I hope I'm wrong but I just wish we had got David Moyes.   Also a bit unsure about Dr T at present but again, time will tell.   My pre-season enthusiasm was dampened greatly by the performance at VP on Saturday which was just like last season, good first half, silly gifted equaliser,  heads drop, we concede 3 and no-one wants to take a shot at goal - just fanny about with it and the chance is gone!    I hope Sunday revises my enthusiasm again.   We need a new striker - maybe we could tempt Benteke back into his Godlike role here - he could become a legend :-(

• Like 1

His tactics and team selection were shit vs Boro and was the same shit as last season.  I hope this excuse of 'it takes longer than a couple of months to fix years of mistakes' isn't what we are gonna be listening to, we need a manager who can go in and get shit sorted sharpish, fair enough if the owner doesn't back him but I get the feeling RDM thinks he has the midas touch which won't work on our shit squad. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hev said:

My pre-season enthusiasm was dampened greatly by the performance at VP on Saturday which was just like last season, good first half, silly gifted equaliser,  heads drop, we concede 3 and no-one wants to take a shot at goal - just fanny about with it and the chance is gone!    

Honestly, players generally just don't give a **** about pre season games and I'm getting the impression as time goes by that neither do managers. They literally treat it like a training session and I think given the choice they would rather play them behind closed doors. 

West Brom lost 2-1 to Torquay last night. My mate was there, said they were diabolical. Then they all hit a club with the managers blessing as they had today off. My mate wasn't bothered because he's of the same mindset, it's just a kick about. 

It means so little. I didn't even know our result from Saturday until tonight and that's only really because I wanted to look up Middlesbrough's squad.

I pay the absolute minimum attention to it and I think that's for the best, it saves me getting worked up over nothing.

• Like 3

so RDM with McCormack Ayew Gestede RHM has a good mix of strikers. Pace.. finishing.. skills and aerial ability. Gestede would be worth while coming off the bench late on to cause problems or for RDM to mix it up. Throw in Bamford too and we will have the best strike force in the Championship. If RMAC gets injured.. then we have to rely on last years.. so it would be good to get him in even if its on Loan then we can get better next season if were in the Premier League. 

Still needs a RB CB DM and AM though. 

De Laet McNair Jedinak and Morrison? We should be very very competitive with that squad. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KSV said:

so RDM with McCormack Ayew Gestede RHM has a good mix of strikers. Pace.. finishing.. skills and aerial ability. Gestede would be worth while coming off the bench late on to cause problems or for RDM to mix it up. Throw in Bamford too and we will have the best strike force in the Championship. If RMAC gets injured.. then we have to rely on last years.. so it would be good to get him in even if its on Loan then we can get better next season if were in the Premier League. 

Still needs a RB CB DM and AM though. 

De Laet McNair Jedinak and Morrison? We should be very very competitive with that squad. 

dont forget Gabby :P

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 23:13, Zatman said:

all this striker talk and I bet we end up with a cheap freebie somebody like Andy Johnson, Bobby Zamora or Johan Elmander

Sometimes, on a warm summer evening, with the benefit of hindsight, I sink back into my leather armchair, light up a cigar and take a moment to reflect; wondering if maybe, just maybe, I might've been better off letting that emotion pass without expressing it...

• Like 3

I'm optimistic tbh. We have some seasoned players experienced in top league. Kozak, Sanchez (if he stays), Veretout etc I think will really flourish on this league. It was a horrific situation last year, not the place for a loads of players from other leagues to hit the ground running. I think we will be promoted or least have the manager and players to get promoted regardless of last season. On a side note, I would love Gabby to rip it up and smash them as one last happy memory before he **** off next year.

• Like 2

McCormack and Morrison would make things look alot more rosy in the garden. I actually think Morrison could be a great signing if he has his head screwed on. He has the talent to burn the championship up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Honestly, players generally just don't give a **** about pre season games and I'm getting the impression as time goes by that neither do managers. They literally treat it like a training session and I think given the choice they would rather play them behind closed doors. 

West Brom lost 2-1 to Torquay last night. My mate was there, said they were diabolical. Then they all hit a club with the managers blessing as they had today off. My mate wasn't bothered because he's of the same mindset, it's just a kick about. 

It means so little. I didn't even know our result from Saturday until tonight and that's only really because I wanted to look up Middlesbrough's squad.

I pay the absolute minimum attention to it and I think that's for the best, it saves me getting worked up over nothing.

Maybe you haven't seen the game either ?  If you do you will see it isn't a case of people failing to understand friendlies, it was the MANNER of the game that caused so much concern. 

I was there and there were 2 very distinct moods.  At half time there was a chilled, relieved, quietly pleased atmosphere all around.  People were talking about certain positives, Baker, Gardner, Grealish in particular.  (And the need for a striker !!)...

Then Boro scored and you could see players visibly shrink, panic, and give up.  A reasonably balanced performance became a replica of the worst of last year.

It is that - character - issue that caused so much concern, that RDM hasn't been able to alter the mentality of the side (and it wont get easier to do, it will get harder  (excepting of course if we change the players) and those from last term are no better mentally.

Had we been half arsed all the way through, or became half arsed whilst still ahead, that would be in line with the sort of thing you are saying, but it was a clear and obvious poor reaction to conceding.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yet it happens every. ****. season.

Am I right in saying the Championship pre-season Di Matteo was in charge of WBA they lost every game? Then won their first 6 Championship games and got promoted?

I've said it in numerous threads, but the amount of stock people on VT put into pre-season friendlies is astonishing. They are almost entirely meaningless.

That same season Newcastle played Leyton Orient and lost 6-0, I remember their fans wanted Hughton fired for that performance and they ended up destroying the league. 

10 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Sometimes, on a warm summer evening, with the benefit of hindsight, I sink back into my leather armchair, light up a cigar and take a moment to reflect; wondering if maybe, just maybe, I might've been better off letting that emotion pass without expressing it...

im going to take the credit that my post was the last straw and that got the board working on it ;) 

Â