Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

20 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Honestly, players generally just don't give a **** about pre season games and I'm getting the impression as time goes by that neither do managers. They literally treat it like a training session and I think given the choice they would rather play them behind closed doors. 

West Brom lost 2-1 to Torquay last night. My mate was there, said they were diabolical. Then they all hit a club with the managers blessing as they had today off. My mate wasn't bothered because he's of the same mindset, it's just a kick about. 

It means so little. I didn't even know our result from Saturday until tonight and that's only really because I wanted to look up Middlesbrough's squad.

I pay the absolute minimum attention to it and I think that's for the best, it saves me getting worked up over nothing.

Yep, very much this.

I haven't even commented on any of the pre season games except to say that nobody should be drawing any conclusions from them.

I gave a summary of what I saw at Cambridge, but again I drew no conclusions from it.

The games mean nothing. And that's not me trying to be positive. If we'd beaten Boro 5-0 I'd be saying the same thing. They're meaningless. They're not worth the effort to care about them either way.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I haven't seen the game no for the other reasons I gave. Obviously. 

Sorry,  I didn't see any reasons. was just asking. Obviously. (?)

I thought you might have found my views on what happened interesting, that's all, given you r comment above. , never mind.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Sorry,  I didn't see any reasons. was just asking. Obviously. (?)

I thought you might have found my views on what happened interesting, that's all, given you r comment above. , never mind.

My reasons are;

Honestly, players generally just don't give a **** about pre season games and I'm getting the impression as time goes by that neither do managers. They literally treat it like a training session and I think given the choice they would rather play them behind closed doors. 

West Brom lost 2-1 to Torquay last night. My mate was there, said they were diabolical. Then they all hit a club with the managers blessing as they had today off. My mate wasn't bothered because he's of the same mindset, it's just a kick about. 

It means so little. I didn't even know our result from Saturday until tonight and that's only really because I wanted to look up Middlesbrough's squad.

I pay the absolute minimum attention to it and I think that's for the best, it saves me getting worked up over nothing.

Apologies for being ratty. I had 4 hours kip last night due to an unrelated incident! I took your comments on board but to be quite honest I still feel exactly the same. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, very much this.

I haven't even commented on any of the pre season games except to say that nobody should be drawing any conclusions from them.

I gave a summary of what I saw at Cambridge, but again I drew no conclusions from it.

The games mean nothing. And that's not me trying to be positive. If we'd beaten Boro 5-0 I'd be saying the same thing. They're meaningless. They're not worth the effort to care about them either way.

We all know what friendlies are about, and normally I'd agree with you. That really wasn't the issue at the weekend.

You are not concerned about the clear way the players collapsed when Boro scored ?  Everyone I know that went was, and I was.  It might not matter, but it was so reminiscent of last year it made pretty disturbing viewing.

For my part, 2 or three more changes in addition to a new striker could remove the problem, but as it stands, the players did not look mentally stronger in the least, and the fact it was only a friendly made that even more of a concern.

If we had lost 5-0 but it had just looked like a typical pre-season friendly performance I wouldn't have been bothered, but it wasn't like that, and it has nothing to do with the score really.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

My reasons are;

Apologies for being ratty. I had 4 hours kip last night due to an unrelated incident! I took your comments on board but to be quite honest I still feel exactly the same. 

I hope you are right, I really do.

One thing I think will be very positively different is the presence of a goalscorer.  It was/is hard to be sure how much of last seasons mental fragility was due to character defects (hard to remove) and how much was just a 'rational despair' at knowing we couldn't score goals so any conceded meant game over.  New Striker could make a massive difference to that if so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

You are not concerned about the clear way the players collapsed when Boro scored ? 

I honestly couldn't give the tiniest of shits about it.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly couldn't give the tiniest of shits about it.

normally I would agree with you about pre-season games but the Boro game 2nd half was just too eerie to last season debacle that I dont think it can be ignored

• Like 2

Preseasons to me are a chance to get new players looked at within the squad and play around with formations and tactics. It's as much about what doesn't work as what does. 

I don't think 'match fitness' comes in to it now as like you say, people don't treat it with much dedication. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Blame the internet, we can see highlights, news reports etc of pre-season matches. In the 90s, fans didnt know who the team played or where in pre-season. No-one gave a shit.

?

Think maybe you've forgotten we can actually attend matches ? :)

I used to go to friendlies before the internet, and I still go now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

?

Think maybe you've forgotten we can actually attend matches ? :)

I used to go to friendlies before the internet, and I still go now.

what? WHAT? what is this witchcraft????

What I like about Di Matteo's work so far is that he's given us a spine to the team. Bringing in Gollini, Elphick, Tshibola and McCormack shows a good old-fashioned management style of reinforcing down the middle of the team and I like that.

I think it shows a mentality of adding a bit of steel and hopefully we will see a Villa that has a more competitive edge about them, rather than the powder-puff showing that we had last season. 

I'm enjoying how open he is to talking about transfer situations. He sounds confident in the resources available and it gives me confidence that there's nothing to hide at the club anymore.

Contrast this to Garde having to do coy press conferences throughout January with the worry that Fox/Lerner wouldn't sanction any deals at all.

• Like 3

Â