Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

Sorry but that was an extremely unimpressive start. The first half was absolutely shocking and despite better play in the second half the creativity and shape wasn't good enough, the effort and application in midfield wasn't good enough and throughout was an utter over reliance of hoofing the ball to Gestede, not good enough. 

RDM needs to learn fast. The midfield selection was absolutely abysmal, no width, no cover for the fullbacks and no energy. The play for the most part was too similar to last season as well, too much **** around at the back (which cost us a goal) and too much hoofing it when we do have the ball. 

Gestede should simply never start for us. The front line needs to be McCormack and Ayew as second striker for now. Ayew on the left is a brainless decision, he doesn't cover his fullback and he likes to pick the ball up deep in the centre of the park, so play him in a position that allows him to do that. 

Grealish should play left, Tshibola should play ahead of Gardner, Amavi when fit needs to replace the abysmal Cissohko and Bacuna probably isn't good enough for this level on the right, so consider Traore or Green in that position. 

Really disappointing, lessons from last season have not been learnt fast enough. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

right ..whose next ? :)

felt like remi garde was still in charge at times today , not good enough .... he still has time of course but he got his formation and tactics badly wrong today

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Personally I thought it was ok. Each to their own though. Cissokho and Hutton need replacing and we need a midfield but I'm sure he knows that. Still way too early to make judgement.

I think it's more than fair to judge what we saw today and it sure as well wasn't good enough. 

He didn't do too much wrong today, if Gollini never made that error it would be a different story.

Our players looked in good condition, they were pressing throughout the game, there is A LOT more fight in our team. The midfield is just lacking quality and this will be amended.

It's tough a job but RDM knows what he is doing, we need to give him time.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Not bad. For large parts of the second half we out played a top team in this league. 

Obvious where issues are and I think mentally it's going to be the biggest challenge to turn round. 

I think we just need to win a few and the confidence will quickly grow - hope than starts Wed/Sat.

Worst part of today IMO. Team shape was shocking and didn't change it until we won't behind. Even when we were on top they were breaking on us because we were set up poorly 

Ashley Westwood in a 442 when one of the 4 is Ayew is mental 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Worst part of today IMO. Team shape was shocking and didn't change it until we won't behind. Even when we were on top they were breaking on us because we were set up poorly 

Ashley Westwood in a 442 when one of the 4 is Ayew is mental 

Yep, pretty obvious stuff, very poor from the manager. 

My thoughts on the game, first half we weren't at it. Second was much improved. Midfield throughout was absent and it's worryingly going forward. No bravery on the ball from either Westwood or Gardner. Both full backs are weak, known this for some time. I personally don't see the need or point of buying Abel Hernandez. McCormack and Ayew will score goals, plenty of them. Centre midfield needs serious quality. I'd even toy with the idea of starting grealish there against Luton. Something different. 

Â