Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:41, TRO said:

Buts its not though.....Dr T bought in to the experienced rebuild for one season, which is what it was and it hasn't got us over the line....it was an effort for a quick return, it always was a gamble.

To suggest everything has failed is untrue.....John Terry for one, was the right thing to do for me and the lads like Jack have benefitted.....The margins are slim....we could so easily have won, with a bit better fortune, not least from the ref.

Jokanovic has done a good job.....but was they all saying that at the end of December, when they were 10th and we were 5th despite our own bad start and losing 3 of our best players for long periods.

I like the way Fulham play and they have some good players in Cairney and sessegnon, McDonald isn't bad either, with their 2 full backs arguably better than ours......but to put it all in perspective....

Mitrovic was an inspired signing, since his inclusion they have lost 2 games.....He has been the difference to get them over the line.

Recruitment of the right players is key to our success or failure......square pegs and all that.

I honestly believe if we had of just had him or something similar, we would be in the premier league now.....our front men are all too similar.....they don't lead the line or have aerial nous, they don't hold the line and battle with centre halves and bring players in like Fulham with the success Mitrovic does.....its crucial, particularly at this level.

You're spot on about Mitrovic getting Fulham up there - he was the difference for them! Fine margins is right too. Look at Grealish and his injury. If that injury had have prevented him playing this last season, we wouldn't have been in the play-offs in my opinion.

Appreciate all Dr T has attempted to do these last few years but looks a bit out of his depth currently, backed the wrong people to get Villa up in Wyness and Bruce who have miss read and failed to appreciate that the championship has changed and is no longer a experiance essential and hoofer league it used to be. Deserved better with all the money and energy he has put into it but so it has gone. If he is still serious about Villa he needs to consider if Wyness is really the right CEO as well as SB as manager.

Current mood about Villa feels a bit like Brexit... been told there are plans for all outcomes but not what they are, gut instict feels like there are no plans other than to carry on and take it all as it comes, but continue the mantra to fans that all is in hand and plans are afoot. Hope i’m wrong and Dr T has it all sorted but am now resigned to the fact Villa are well and truely a Championship club like Leeds and the other dinosaurs that used to roam in higher echelons of the football league. We are where we deserve to be based on our Learner ownership years and current guys reliance on old school football men. Fans are premier league, deserve so much better.

• Like 2

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/05/30/club-statement-dr-tony-xia-on-future-plans

I know that all the Villa fans experienced a very frustrating and disappointing Play-Off Final last Saturday. After seeing many Villa supporters on Twitter hoping that I can publish a statement as soon as possible, I feel like it would be best for me to write the following words when I am relatively calm.  

I care as much about this club as anyone. Even though I am back in Beijing, I still can't recover from our game at Wembley. The emotion needs time to heal. However, I know that all our management staff, coaches, players and myself need to get back on our feet and prepare to fight again.  Like everyone else, I'm delighted to see that under Steve’s management this season, we demonstrated character and unity. We fought like a team. Indeed, the loss is a pity, but we know how much effort and hard work our coaching staff and players put in this season. I want to thank Steve from the bottom of my heart, particularly for his remarkable level of professional focus despite losing his parents this year. With that, I would like to say thank you to Steve and his coaching staff once again for leading the team forward wholeheartedly throughout the season.  

We are all aware that we will face severe FFP challenges next season. I am an Aston Villa fan. But I am also a businessman. Under the current circumstances, I think the club needs to rethink not only the past two years but also the past ten years. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club. People join. People leave. That is the cycle of football. But the football club always remains through it all.  This is the ultimate reality that cannot be changed, but I can assure you that everyone behind the scenes is working tirelessly towards achieving our ultimate goal.  

We have been heavily investing for the past two seasons. However, the loss on Saturday means that we need to change a lot of things. No one wanted to see the club have to go through this, but I believe that only changes can help the club to progress towards the positive direction and this requires the joint efforts of everyone associated with this great football club.  No matter what the changes will be, I sincerely hope that everyone can unite and overcome the challenges together. Our goal has not changed and as long as we believe, regardless of how tough the process will be, I am sure we will succeed in the end.  

Thank you very much once again for all your support.

Chairman
Dr Tony Xia

Well if ever there was any doubt about how absolutely massive Saturday was, that statement should make it clear. They'll be loads of unrest and negativity amongst the fans now. 

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what to make of it.

Is it praise for Steve and "We go again"

Or is it, thank you and goodbye, we have to change course but we wholeheartedly appreciate your efforts and hope the fans respect our decision?

4 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Well if ever there was any doubt how absolutely massive Saturday was, that statement should make it clear. They'll be loads of unrest and negativity amongst the fans now. 

Hopefully it wakes up the deluded few who kept saying "I enjoy it down here".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nabby said:

We have been heavily investing for the past two seasons. However, the loss on Saturday means that we need to change a lot of things. No one wanted to see the club have to go through this, but I believe that only changes can help the club to progress towards the positive direction and this requires the joint efforts of everyone associated with this great football club.  No matter what the changes will be, I sincerely hope that everyone can unite and overcome the challenges together. Our goal has not changed and as long as we believe, regardless of how tough the process will be, I am sure we will succeed in the end.   

Hopefully all these references to changes means the sack for Bruce.

• Like 2

It's a nice statement but doesn't really make a difference in terms of where we are. We knew we would be changing a lot of things now that we have failed to gain promotion. Dr Tony didn't really need to make a statement at all if the content is basically just to thank people, unless significant change was coming.

As others have mentioned on here, it would seem that the statement would confirm Bruce's staying if that were the case, and it does suggest that he is leaving more than he is staying but you never know.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The high risk strategy Xia deployed well and truly blown up on all of us. What a mess, an absolute mess, he has screwed up big time with the last two managerial appointments and oh how dearly it has cost us. 

To be honest, he appointed Bruce based on Wyness' recommendation, and it's not like Bruce hasn't had a track record of promotions. His advisors have been the problem, his job was to back the men that were recruited and he did that. He's not going to say, "Hang on Steve, I've done extensive scouting on Scott Hogan and I don't believe that he will fit in to your style of play. That is the job of our DOF and scouting team. Dr Tony sacked RDM when required and couldn't really sack Bruce with us in the play-offs. Now is the right time for change, but he also needs a new team underneath him to put a proper long term vision in place as opposed to a quick fix, which is all Bruce will have been.

Well I’m glad he agreed with those who thought it was a good time to speak. I don’t think that now he’s done it it would be fair for people to complain that it’s not what they want to hear !!

Its couched vaguely as one would expect but I think the key is he - correctly in my view - says the whole decade needs looking at.

Personally I take that to mean only one thing. A new Manager, a new set up, a new approach to systems, scouting, and player development. He has looked at Bournemouth, Southampton as was, Brentford, and other Clubs that have largely eschewed big money approaches, and decided Villa need to shake up. 

I agree. A full revamp is a sensible idea, we’ve been neither one thing or another for too long, and many hitherto ‘ smaller’ clubs have gone past us.

Should be fun, I’m looking forward to it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Agreed. I don't think Wyness has under-performed against the objectives he would have been set - in fact, I would say that, purely as a CEO, he has out performed. As a Club, operationally and culturally we are a million miles better than where we were when he came in and the stabilizing influence he has had in <2 seasons has been impressive. It was a huge task getting fans back on board (I still know fans that haven't returned since the dark days of McLeish) and I think we are actually being quite innovative on the commercial side as well. 

As CEO, he had to back Bruce, least of all because we needed so desperately that continuity and stability, which is critical. Bruce came to the Wyness as a highly experienced Manager with a fantastic record, so of course Wyness would have listened to Bruce when he outlined his plans for taking the experienced route. On paper, there would have been nothing to oppose Bruce on given his track record.

What will be interesting, is to what extent Wyness can now properly evaluate what went wrong last season on the footballing front and then, critically, address it. For me, there were just too many games that we simply played to draw and it will be down to Wyness et al to carefully message to Bruce that next season we need to try and win every game and evolve our style (and likely personnel) to achieve this. Secondly, he will need to facilitate this financially. If he does both those things, then I don't think we can ask much more. 

I agree with pretty much all of the above, except I don’t think that Steve Bruce will be able to achieve the goals you’ve set out in the last paragraph. He’s just not that type of manager and I don’t think he’s about to change at this point of his career. 

I appreciate the statement but it underlines how difficult next season will be. From what I take from the statement is that Bruce will be here at the start of the season ( in about 8 weeks time, very short time off), and that anything that can be sold at Villa, will be. North stand development has gone for a burton as well. 

Â