Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

The look on his face close to the end of the game yesterday was almost painful.

Knowing he's bet on the wrong horse and was missing out on a £200m windfall.

The club he invested millions and millions on didn't even turn up for the first 45.

2 years in and the only thing he has of value is the fans and a player that was already here when he bought the club.

So much money wasted and nothing to show for it.

Time to make the hard decision and replace some of the key staff. If not he might as well sell up because we are going nowhere with this current set up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

I hope he comes out soon to make some assurances.  These are pretty worrying times.

Are they?

Wyness said earlier in the season that they know what to do financially if the club don’t go up.

• Like 1

We need an immediate statement re the manager, the position we are in re having to sell players, and plans for next season. Otherwise we will have everyone touting our players, and it'll be impossible to sign anyone. 

5 hours ago, thejoker said:

The only positive of failing to win promotion is that at least Randy Lerner doesn’t get his ‘bonus’ payment from Xia. I think we had to get promotion within 2 years if I remember correctly.

You made me smile :)

I like this very much if that's so.

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I think the next managerial appointment is far more important than the player recruitment for the coming season. 

The likes of Jokanovic, Houghton and Wagner have shown its not the players but the style of play that gets you out of this league. Even add Warnock to the list. 

Whatever budget we have would be better spent getting the right manager in than than big name players, hope Xia can see this

I had a brief chat yesterday with a guy who claims to be cousin of Mendez-Laing at Cardiff. He said he called his cousin and asked how such a shit bunch could get promoted. The answer was something like: We've got togetherness and fight for each other. 

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Are they?

Wyness said earlier in the season that they know what to do financially if the club don’t go up.

I think Wyness knows how to keep the club on an even keel financially. Can he spot a manager who can do what we require ? ...its the second bit I am not so sure.

Personally I am not convinced Xia has the financial clout that we are lead to believe. Things went downhill pretty fast for Lerner when he decided to stop paying big salaries - we seem to be on a similar path now. 

Quite simply if xia has the money he leads us to believe he must find a way of getting that money to where it matters. FFP is full of holes - I am sure we have people at the club capable of finding them 

34 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I think the next managerial appointment is far more important than the player recruitment for the coming season. 

The likes of Jokanovic, Houghton and Wagner have shown its not the players but the style of play that gets you out of this league. Even add Warnock to the list. 

Whatever budget we have would be better spent getting the right manager in than than big name players, hope Xia can see this

Its both....but you can have any style you like, but you cannot succeed without good players.

jokanovic has players who are comfortable with the ball, so he sets his dtyle up accordingly....they were not the same team without Mitrovic so he signs a leader of the line that brings players in ...he holds ball so the midfield have confidence to come forward.

Warnock, signs big powerful units  and plays the physical game that bullies teams off the ball....they have 6'4 sean Morrison thats the driver of the whole thing..he is robust and durable character...similar to the Leicester team under O'neill with Walsh and his cohorts.

I am not convinced with your argument, but not totally lost on it.....I just happen to think we have shortfalls in the attributes of the team, that is making hard work for some of our better players like Jack.

we had enough crosses yesterday to have won 2 matches, if players from yesteryear with their aerial abilities had of been on show......we was never going to score a headed goal, despite the perseverance with the action.

i want us to play football, winning football, not tippy tappy stuff with no purpose.

I don't particularly want Warnocks style, but it works to a degree.....the problem with us is we are neither one thing or the other.....just to pick up on one point during the game...the amount of balls in the air we were out challenged for is concerning and this is Fulham, not some big brutish team.

But it does require a rethink....irrespective of who the manager is.

The problem with a Warnock type is they will be destroyed in the premier league as his teams always are, you can bully your way through the lower leagues but 50m+players will just pass it around you when you try it in the Prem.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think Wyness knows how to keep the club on an even keel financially. Can he spot a manager who can do what we require ? ...its the second bit I am not so sure.

I don't think identifying managers is Wyness' remit? Surely that must be the responsibility of Steve Round? 

11 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He is hurting like all of us.

I think in the next few weeks we are going to see how relentless and how obsessed he is with getting this club promoted.

I believe that he has planned for this outcome.

Planned? What in wasting millions of the parachute payments on player recruitment, switching manager and coming just short? 

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its both....but you can have any style you like, but you cannot succeed without good players.

jokanovic has players who are comfortable with the ball, so he sets his dtyle up accordingly....they were not the same team without Mitrovic so he signs a leader of the line that brings players in ...he holds ball so the midfield have confidence to come forward.

Warnock, signs big powerful units  and plays the physical game that bullies teams off the ball....they have 6'4 sean Morrison thats the driver of the whole thing..he is robust and durable character...similar to the Leicester team under O'neill with Walsh and his cohorts.

I am not convinced with your argument, but not totally lost on it.....I just happen to think we have shortfalls in the attributes of the team, that is making hard work for some of our better players like Jack.

we had enough crosses yesterday to have won 2 matches, if players from yesteryear with their aerial abilities had of been on show......we was never going to score a headed goal, despite the perseverance with the action.

i want us to play football, winning football, not tippy tappy stuff with no purpose.

I don't particularly want Warnocks style, but it works to a degree.....the problem with us is we are neither one thing or the other.....just to pick up on one point during the game...the amount of balls in the air we were out challenged for is concerning and this is Fulham, not some big brutish team.

But it does require a rethink....irrespective of who the manager is.

I've said before though TRO, we have the highest number of crosses in the division statistically, so why on earth would you sell Gestede and buy Hogan who scored plenty in a fast pass n move style at his previous club?

I'm sorry but this completely on the manager, I don't think he even knows what our "style" is, just get a good group of players together and hope they click is his management style.

I have no doubts the managers i mentioned would all have taken this group of players up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

We need an immediate statement re the manager, the position we are in re having to sell players, and plans for next season. Otherwise we will have everyone touting our players, and it'll be impossible to sign anyone. 

I'd expect a detailed statement from the owner in the next couple of days regarding our financial position going into next season and the future of the manager. He will still be in the country at the moment and you'd expect holding meetings with Wyness and Bruce.

Its a rebuild.. then a rebuild requires a new manager. Bruce had his chance.. rebuilt the side and its an aging side and our best players were on loan. 

We have a very good youth side.. if Bruce is willing to back 2-3 of the better ones like RHM Green Doyle Hayes Lyden etc then maybe hes worth staying.. especially if he can convince Terry/Grealish/Chester to stay. 

12 hours ago, hippo said:

Personally I am not convinced Xia has the financial clout that we are lead to believe. Things went downhill pretty fast for Lerner when he decided to stop paying big salaries - we seem to be on a similar path now. 

Quite simply if xia has the money he leads us to believe he must find a way of getting that money to where it matters. FFP is full of holes - I am sure we have people at the club capable of finding them 

Personally I don’t think we need to worry about Xia’s finances, let’s not forget that Recon have just given our training ground their first sponsorship. 

13 hours ago, Junxs said:

I've said before though TRO, we have the highest number of crosses in the division statistically, so why on earth would you sell Gestede and buy Hogan who scored plenty in a fast pass n move style at his previous club?

I'm sorry but this completely on the manager, I don't think he even knows what our "style" is, just get a good group of players together and hope they click is his management style.

I have no doubts the managers i mentioned would all have taken this group of players up

• Because Gestede was not good enough.....I mentioned Glen Murray, Chris Woods and Mitrovic himself that is the standard that would have sent us up....I thought Grabban was good at Sunderland, but he hasn't done it for us in the same way....but I think he is the wrong type for us......We have 3+1( problem) strikers and none of them hold the ball up other than Davis.....and none have any real aerial Nous.....We have too many shortfalls in attributes for me.....too many samey players.
  • Well get a good group of players together is a start....I understand what you mean about the style, but not sure I entirely agree, I partly agree......It is clear to me what we try to do and what our intentions are, so there must be some style there....What I see in the main is, we just don't do, what we intend to do.......The game for me was littered with players being brought down I.e Jack and Snodgrass and players failing to win aerial balls which  gain you territory.....Running around in a passive fashion at times is not "Fight" fight is when you stretch every sinew to win a ball, whether its on the floor or in the air.
    • The manager has to remain responsible, but my view is they chose a route to get a quick return( quick in their eyes, not some fans) and went for an experienced plan, in the main its has worked, but in finally getting over the line it hasn't, albeit we have come very, very close, if we are to be fair with ourselves.
    • I cannot see him leaving, there are too many elements for me that suggest, he will stay, not least, we have no money.
    • There is so much written and spoke about football, do you not think that if it was such a glaring flaw of him not having a style, it would be picked on like an irritating scab.
  • I have doubts that other managers would have done any better....When I weigh up the injury set backs we have had to endure.
    • What would a season of looked like with a fit Jack Grealish or a fit Kodjia and losing John Terry was disruptive despite us rallying well, we lost Hutton for key games, how would Fulham have faired without Tome Cairney or Ryan Sessegnon.
    •  
  • FWIW.....
    • I think, we now need a rethink and lower the average age of the team, not just for the sake of it but part of the overall plan.....youthful exuberance with hunger and fight.
    • I think we need height in key area's like CB, not as a substitute for skill, but to combat the threats you get in this league from set pieces....and create a solid platform to build an exciting attacking side.
    • .I think we need a leader of the line that can bring players in and allow the midfield to come forward with more confidence of not having to immediately scurry back...O'Hare as an example would benefit from this where he can use his guile off a big man.
    • Pace is another attribute we have been lacking....how many of our players get brought down in mid flight, because they cannot get away from the clutches of cynical tackles, our game is stop start with the amount we have to deal with.

I think the result at Wembley is a real set back, in the main financial reasons, but we are not Sunderland, it could be worse.....I watched the Rotherham v Shrewsbury final, my god them guys fight for everything....Thats what I want to see moving forward, yes better than we have shown from certain individuals.....with the financial situation like it is , I do not see this quick return either, we have no money so we need to be shrewd and capitalise where we can, we need to get players who are going to add value to our play and give us something we have been lacking, we have too many samey players for me.......We need to get back to the days of signing players and making them better at BMH just like Ron Saunders did and Neil Warnock does....we are not going to emulate Wolves, so we may as well forget it.....I see us going up in 2-3 seasons, yes that is how long I think it will take with no money to get the right players assembled.....I do not see a quick route to this anymore.

Where i do tend to agree with you, is I don't see a bunch of players signed and thrown in based on if they play ok or not on certain occasions......we need a building plan, with a horses for courses approach and a method or identity of play.

Edited by TRO

It's not good having a high number of crosses, they have to be good crosses. The majority of ours hit the first man, are overhit to the far side of the pitch or go straight out. 

Those that make it are almost always the product of a cut back which has taken all the momentum out of the attack. 

I would prefer a smaller number of whipped in crosses from the correct foot for the side it's being delivered from allowing strikers more chance to get ahead of an unset defence. 

Numbers alone mean nothing. 

EDIT Just realised this is on the Tony Xia thread, talk about off topic! 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â