Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Quite frankly if (and lets be honest no one knows)  we have to have sell Grealish, Chester and the training ground then:-

1.We should seriously consider sticking two fingers up to FFP and pay the fine - even take the embargo

2. Xia needs to take a long hard look at himself.

14 hours ago, Xela said:

I don't think identifying managers is Wyness' remit? Surely that must be the responsibility of Steve Round? 

I would disagree, I don't really think Round has any clout at all. He will just agree with Wyness

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Quite frankly if (and lets be honest no one knows)  we have to have sell Grealish, Chester and the training ground then:-

1.We should seriously consider sticking two fingers up to FFP and pay the fine - even take the embargo

2. Xia needs to take a long hard look at himself.

What would the fine be?  IF we went on a mad transfer spending spree and brought it players who could keep us in the prem league if we did get promoted.  Bournmouth got fined 4 mill and i think it was 2 years into their prem league campaign.  Also no transfer ban!

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

What would the fine be?  IF we went on a mad transfer spending spree and brought it players who could keep us in the prem league if we did get promoted.  Bournmouth got fined 4 mill and i think it was 2 years into their prem league campaign.  Also no transfer ban!

Thats what I mean - if FFP f*** us over that much, and XIA has the cash - then paying a £4m fine shouldn't faze him - its certainly better than asset stripping the club to its bare bones.

If we have no choice but to sell grealish or the training ground then Xia is up there with Lerner for lack of forward thinking and terrible decisions. 

Hopefully there is no truth in it. 

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

If we have no choice but to sell grealish or the training ground then Xia is up there with Lerner for lack of forward thinking and terrible decisions. 

To be fair he could "sell" or long term lease the training ground to himself or Recon as an FFP move.

Alarm bells ringing, £15m drop in income next season with reduced parachute payments. Lots of players will definitely have to go. Shifting players like Hogan, McCormack, Jedinak, Lansbury, Taylor and Whelan will be paramount given their wages.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It has been a high risk strategy which could have worked in the right hands, however he (or rather the people he put in place to make the decisions) **** up by bringing in RDM and then Bruce. The financial fallout from not going up is going will put this club right on the brink, if not push it over the edge.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It has been a high risk strategy which could have worked in the right hands, however he (or rather the people he put in place to make the decisions) **** up by bringing in RDM and then Bruce. The financial fallout from not going up is going will put this club right on the brink, if not push it over the edge.

That same statement could have been made after the first few years under Lerner. If we are forced to sell Grealish or the training ground then Xia loses a lot of my faith and respect. 

He has had a go and the plan has so far failed.....A Quick return was always a gamble....but fair play to him for trying.....he can't be compared with Lerner.

too many players bought and not giving us anything has been our main problem and forced us in the arms of FFP

• Like 1

I hope Dr T is prepared to make the right tough decisions. I wonder though about the  kind of information he's getting in order to make those decisions. Dr T has entrusted the running of this club to a triumvirate of three guys. Wyness, Round and Bruce. Wyness is purely and simply a business and marketing guy, and Round and Bruce are the football guys. Both Round and Bruce arrived at Villa with similar negative footballing philosophies.

Wyness, Round and Bruce share a common interest .... Keeping their jobs!

Will the three of them convince Dr T that tightening our belts and maintaining the status quo is the way forward? The next few days will indicate whether the current 'jobs for the boys' is going to continue, or whether Dr T will say " It's time for radical surgery".

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has had a go and the plan has so far failed.....A Quick return was always a gamble....but fair play to him for trying.....he can't be compared with Lerner.

too many players bought and not giving us anything has been our main problem and forced us in the arms of FFP

Again, could this statement not have been said after the first few years of lerner?

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I hope Dr T is prepared to make the right tough decisions. I wonder though about the  kind of information he's getting in order to make those decisions. Dr T has entrusted the running of this club to a triumvirate of three guys. Wyness, Round and Bruce. Wyness is purely and simply a business and marketing guy, and Round and Bruce are the football guys. Both Round and Bruce arrived at Villa with similar negative footballing philosophies.

Wyness, Round and Bruce share a common interest .... Keeping their jobs!

Will the three of them convince Dr T that tightening our belts and maintaining the status quo is the way forward? The next few days will indicate whether the current 'jobs for the boys' is going to continue, or whether Dr T will say " It's time for radical surgery".

bit like Fulham did to get promotion??

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Again, could this statement not have been said after the first few years of lerner?

I think the situation was different, but not entirely different.

but your point id valid.

Personally , I have had little confidence in our signings over a long period of time.....sure we get some right, but in the main they don't for me.

I like Tony Xia me. I think he's great. After the Lerner shit show I'm amazed at people knocking him. He's ended up wasting a bunch of money on some pretty sub standard dross from the RDM debacle. And now we have to tighten our belts. Time to get busy, pull a few rabbits out of hats and knuckle down to the hard task of promotion. Maybe a nice lesson in spending wisely early on will stand us in good stead for the future? Who knows? But Xia doesn't strike me as all mouth and no trousers like Lerner. We go again! onwards and upwards would be nice.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

bit like Fulham did to get promotion??

I hope Dr T isn't thinking the same!

It's a flawed comparison in my opinion TRO. Fulham missed out on promotion through the play offs 2016/17, but they were already developing an attractive (and more importantly .... effective) system of play. I was really impressed with what Jokanovic was putting into place there, and this season has allowed SJ to further enhance a style of play and a team cohesion that teams found difficult to cope with.

If Bruce was doing the same at Villa of course I'd back him to get it right next season .... but he's not!

We're the polar opposite of Jokanovic's Fulham, and Bruce's attempt to buy a bunch of experienced pro's (been there, seen it all and got the tee shirt mentality) has failed. It's now past it's sell by date.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I hope Dr T isn't thinking the same!

It's a flawed comparison in my opinion TRO. Fulham missed out on promotion through the play offs 2016/17, but they were already developing an attractive (and more importantly .... effective) system of play. I was really impressed with what Jokanovic was putting into place there, and this season has allowed SJ to further enhance a style of play and a team cohesion that teams found difficult to cope with.

If Bruce was doing the same at Villa of course I'd back him to get it right next season .... but he's not!

We're the polar opposite of Jokanovic's Fulham, and Bruce's attempt to buy a bunch of experienced pro's (been there, seen it all and got the tee shirt mentality) has failed. It's now past it's sell by date.

Buts its not though.....Dr T bought in to the experienced rebuild for one season, which is what it was and it hasn't got us over the line....it was an effort for a quick return, it always was a gamble.

To suggest everything has failed is untrue.....John Terry for one, was the right thing to do for me and the lads like Jack have benefitted.....The margins are slim....we could so easily have won, with a bit better fortune, not least from the ref.

Jokanovic has done a good job.....but was they all saying that at the end of December, when they were 10th and we were 5th despite our own bad start and losing 3 of our best players for long periods.

I like the way Fulham play and they have some good players in Cairney and sessegnon, McDonald isn't bad either, with their 2 full backs arguably better than ours......but to put it all in perspective....

Mitrovic was an inspired signing, since his inclusion they have lost 2 games.....He has been the difference to get them over the line.

Recruitment of the right players is key to our success or failure......square pegs and all that.

I honestly believe if we had of just had him or something similar, we would be in the premier league now.....our front men are all too similar.....they don't lead the line or have aerial nous, they don't hold the line and battle with centre halves and bring players in like Fulham with the success Mitrovic does.....its crucial, particularly at this level.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â