Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

27 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’ve not seen any calls for a detailed breakdown of our position, but there’s not even been an indication as to the timetable from here.

No one will be expecting a line by line breakdown of where we are going to find the millions in reduced income this season.

Personally I think it would be reassuring and perhaps dampen some of the speculation predicting financial meltdown if a statement was released. It would only need to be along the lines of that we had prepared for this outcome and have plans in place to offset the reduced income and do not enviasge this will include selling any of the players we need to retain to ensure we can compete for promotion next season.

I am of course here hoping the above will be the case. It could of course be that we are facing financial meltdown and that our better players need to be sold and some have alluded to that being the reason why we are saying nothing.

I don't really need to hear Xia say he is hurting. All of us are I'd take that as a given. I'd decided by the time I'd left Wembley on Saturday though to look ahead to next season and not wallow in this defeat as it can't be changed. The only thing we can do is help push the club to a brighter future and no person is more able to do that than the owner.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

On 28/05/2018 at 15:16, VILLAMARV said:

I like Tony Xia me. I think he's great. After the Lerner shit show I'm amazed at people knocking him. He's ended up wasting a bunch of money on some pretty sub standard dross from the RDM debacle. And now we have to tighten our belts. Time to get busy, pull a few rabbits out of hats and knuckle down to the hard task of promotion. Maybe a nice lesson in spending wisely early on will stand us in good stead for the future? Who knows? But Xia doesn't strike me as all mouth and no trousers like Lerner. We go again! onwards and upwards would be nice.

Hear,hear.

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

No one will be expecting a line by line breakdown of where we are going to find the millions in reduced income this season.

Personally I think it would be reassuring and perhaps dampen some of the speculation predicting financial meltdown if a statement was released. It would only need to be along the lines of that we had prepared for this outcome and have plans in place to offset the reduced income and do not enviasge this will include selling any of the players we need to retain to ensure we can compete for promotion next season.

I am of course here hoping the above will be the case. It could of course be that we are facing financial meltdown and that our better players need to be sold and some have alluded to that being the reason why we are saying nothing.

I don't really need to hear Xia say he is hurting. All of us are I'd take that as a given. I'd decided by the time I'd left Wembley on Saturday though to look ahead to next season and not wallow in this defeat as it can't be changed. The only thing we can do is help push the club to a brighter future and no person is more able to do that than the owner.

Wyness already said in multiple interviews this season that they had plans in place for both outcomes this season, including transfer targets, and budgets. 

It's all media speculation at the end of the day. The club don't have to come out and say anything as far as I'm concerned. As it stands Bruce is the manager and the loan players have gone back to their clubs. There's obviously going to be changes. Most if not all the players are away on holidays taking a break (as deserved). Things will become clearer over the next few weeks or so. It's only been a matter of days since the final. Why would we come rushing out and say we have to sell our best players to balance the books etc? Keep our cards close to our chest, even if we do need to sell Jack or will accept a big bid for him, wait and see. The Dr's clever and knows what he wants to do. I'm sure there is a plan. I'm pretty sure Wyness said the same thing as well. We have a plan if we got promoted and a plan if we don't as Villan_007 said.

• Like 1

What is going on here?

Given his Mum's funeral was last week (I think) and our last game finished two days ago I'd hope Bruce has had a few days off. Decisions made in the heat of the moment can be rash and taking a couple of days to take stock of the situation and deal with the emotions and disappointment seems prudent to me.

If any definitive statement was forthcoming after the game it would surely be along the lines of letting Bruce go. As that hasn't happened it would appear the board aren't as unhappy as some of us here with missing out on promotion by the slim margins we did.

As for knocking Tony for a tweet I suppose that's what half the posters here seem to do in this thread. I bet some of you were also knocking Lerner for never saying anything.

I get the views on/against Bruce in his thread. I don't agree with some of them but I understand them.

Knocking Xia I just dont get at all. Would people prefer the Venkys lot turn up? Or that numbnuts at Blackpool a while back? He talks directly to the fans, has dug deep in his pockets when able and seems to be improving things off the pitch. What the hell do people want from an owner? Midas?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is ridiculous in his position as owner that he is stating he is still hurting. That is the kind of crap I'd expect a fan to post. He should be releasing a thorough statement regarding where we stand and what the plan is going forward especially given all the media speculation  predicting a financial meltdown.

I’m not sure we should expect a statement, it’s not something that owners do very regularly. 

If Bruce is sacked/resign then we’ll hear about that, I’d imagine by the end of the week. If he’s not there will be no statement and it’ll be BAU.

(sorry jumped into the thread at this point and have caught up now so see you have answered).

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

This club needs to start being managed properly and I'm not talking about Bruce.

When Lerner came in he threw money around recklessly to try and break into the Champions League and crippled us financially for the next 6 years. Tony has come into the club and thrown money around recklessly to try and get us promoted straight away and now from the sounds of it we are screwed for next season. Yes its media speculation but how often are all the newspapers wrong about the same thing.

I know we all wanted to hear it when he came in but saying we were going to be the best team in the world within 5 years was naïve. Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich. These are the biggest teams in the world. They have a global fanbase and they make more money from their official pot noodle partners than we do from our shirt sponsor. Spurs have been brilliantly managed since both us and them were trying to break into the Champions League 10 years ago. They have only just started to bridge the gap. To think we would achieve that in 5 years from a starting point in the Championship was ludicrous.

The parachute payments were there to cushion the blow of dropping into the Championship and allow the club to steadily bring down the wage bill and rebuild a squad for this level. Instead we've blown a fortune in transfer fees and wages in a desperate gamble on getting promoted. Excluding the likes of Man City and Chelsea with their unlimited money and clubs with a massive fanbase like Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool. The teams overachieving at the moment Brighton, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff, Spurs and Burnley all seem to me to have sensibly built their teams within their means. The likes of West Ham and Everton have wasted a fortune and aren't getting anywhere for it.

I'm saying now expectations need to be reset. We have a big stadium and fanbase. That should be a good financial advantage in this league but someone needs to start realising we can only live within our means.

• Like 4

Just now, praisedmambo said:

That was pretty much last summer too. 

In terms of fees paid out yes. But money from players was reinvested and would could bring in expensive loan players. Both those seem off the table at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We are firmly a championship team now, recovering from being in the premier league with the wages that we were paying certain players. We could quite easily be in this league for years to come. We need to accept that now really - we are no longer the giant of this league in terms of finances. We absolutely had to go up this season.  

Agreed - we have to run as championship club now - not a PL club in the championship. We still get bigger crowds than most and the youth set up seems to be improving - all is not lost.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed - we have to run as championship club now - not a PL club in the championship. We still get bigger crowds than most and the youth set up seems to be improving - all is not lost.

Oh absolutely the youth set up is second to none, the problem is the team management seem terrified to utilise our very good U23s.

I think I'm resigned to just being a good championship side now, I think us going up from this point onwards will be down to luck more than judgement. Sad times man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

I think we are in the situation we all feared when we were first relegated. Budget signings and hoping the u23's come good.

The u23's are immaterial, as our current manager, who now looks to be staying, does not utilise them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

The u23's are immaterial, as our current manager, who now looks to be staying, does not utilise them.

In his defence we said the same about MON not using the u23's - Barry Bannan, Delfonso, etc....

21 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The other possible big question Xia is asking himself could be, how happy is he with his CEO? I believe Wyness, and Bruce to be fair, deserve credit for turning us back into a properly run football club.

However there must be questions over the position we find ourselves in. Still in the Championship, with an ageing squad and an unsustainable financial model. Now if Wyness has basically been running the club day to day and working to Xia’s instructions then the buck stops with the Doc. However if Wyness has had a free hand in policy, hiring the coaching staff etc, then surely he has some questions to answer. Because we literally can’t go on like this. 

Agreed. I don't think Wyness has under-performed against the objectives he would have been set - in fact, I would say that, purely as a CEO, he has out performed. As a Club, operationally and culturally we are a million miles better than where we were when he came in and the stabilizing influence he has had in <2 seasons has been impressive. It was a huge task getting fans back on board (I still know fans that haven't returned since the dark days of McLeish) and I think we are actually being quite innovative on the commercial side as well. 

As CEO, he had to back Bruce, least of all because we needed so desperately that continuity and stability, which is critical. Bruce came to the Wyness as a highly experienced Manager with a fantastic record, so of course Wyness would have listened to Bruce when he outlined his plans for taking the experienced route. On paper, there would have been nothing to oppose Bruce on given his track record.

What will be interesting, is to what extent Wyness can now properly evaluate what went wrong last season on the footballing front and then, critically, address it. For me, there were just too many games that we simply played to draw and it will be down to Wyness et al to carefully message to Bruce that next season we need to try and win every game and evolve our style (and likely personnel) to achieve this. Secondly, he will need to facilitate this financially. If he does both those things, then I don't think we can ask much more. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

What if non of them are ready though? 

Davies was good for 3 games, ohare failed to impress on his chance, suliman failed in his loan, Hepburn Murphy didn't even look like he'd ever played football when I saw him, these are our top rated youth players and non seem ready, you can't just throw them in their careers would be over before they started. 

Green came good under Bruce but unfortunately seems injury prone, grealish is playing his best ever since Bruce came in and bree looks half decent too. 

19 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

What if non of them are ready though? 

Davies was good for 3 games, ohare failed to impress on his chance, suliman failed in his loan, Hepburn Murphy didn't even look like he'd ever played football when I saw him, these are our top rated youth players and non seem ready, you can't just throw them in their careers would be over before they started. 

Green came good under Bruce but unfortunately seems injury prone, grealish is playing his best ever since Bruce came in and bree looks half decent too. 

Suliman didn't fail in his loan. He was injured for a large part of it and by all accounts the manager they had for the majority of his time at Grimsby was an utter clown.

Â