Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

Way too early to write off a season that hasn't even begun yet - regardless of us not technically having an owner, manager or pre-season schedule lined up (let alone a playing squad which requires an overhaul). It certainly sounds like a horror situation we're in. 

One thing I've noticed over the years with the Championship and beyond, is that the leagues are always heavily congested and there is always that opportunity for a team to go on a last minute run and gatecrash the promotion candidacy. (I believe Barnsley we near to the bottom of League 1 at Christmas and still got promoted this season).

I'm not expecting a quick fix and a walk in the park next season but I don't fear the worst either.

We need more information to really have a crack at guessing how we'll fare next year.

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Way too early to write off a season that hasn't even begun yet - regardless of us not technically having an owner, manager or pre-season schedule lined up (let alone a playing squad which requires an overhaul). It certainly sounds like a horror situation we're in. 

One thing I've noticed over the years with the Championship and beyond, is that the leagues are always heavily congested and there is always that opportunity for a team to go on a last minute run and gatecrash the promotion candidacy. (I believe Barnsley we near to the bottom of League 1 at Christmas and still got promoted this season).

I'm not expecting a quick fix and a walk in the park next season but I don't fear the worst either.

We need more information to really have a crack at guessing how we'll fare next year.

True- we could be midtable in December and still reach the playoffs.

• Like 2

I still don't see how anyone can sAy we are going to go up or not at this stage, no manager in place, or owner and we have no idea what the squad looks like. I'll wait until august until I make my precidition as I expect massive changes if takeover goes through. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I still don't see how anyone can sAy we are going to go up or not at this stage, no manager in place, or owner and we have no idea what the squad looks like. I'll wait until august until I make my precidition as I expect massive changes if takeover goes through. 

This. here are a lot of uncertainties still. What does make me more in the "promotion pushing" camp is that Dr Xia is saying he wants to get straight back up, meaning he will likely back the manager. Whether it is pulled off or not is entirely different, but at it is a step in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

What else is new ?

Well if you are referring to me in the way I am normally referred to (incorrectly as it happens) as being pessimistic all the time,  I'd probably say my pessimistic predictions for the last few years didnt pan out very wrong did they?

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lol

What's funny about me saying that?  As Dave has said I'm not depressed by that thought that we wont get promoted but given we are ten weeks away have no manager,  no coaching team,  no board,  no owner and the squad needs a complete overhaul I just think there is too much work to be done to catch up and that there are other teams needing less work than us and having a more stable base than us in that league.  Laughing at my comment suggests that people think just because we are Aston Villa we will be promoted no problem.

On 29 May 2016 at 12:24, markavfc40 said:

Thinking we can turn things around in a couple of months and be competing for promotion next season is asking a lot regardless how much we have to spend and who the manager is.

Totally agree. Teams that get relegated where they've just failed to stay up, where the team spirit, ethos, manager etc. are all established and professional - say Burnley for example - they have a decent chance of returning. History suggests that teams that go down as an utter shambles tend not to go back up any time soon. Regardless of money, there's too much needing to be changed in too short a time. Villa as a team was not remotely premier league standard last season.  We were so far adrift it was disgraceful. There's a major rebuild needed. That will almost certainly take 2 seasons.

And then there's the new manager, new owner situation. An owner who's never owned a club before will make bad decisions, or at least get a fair few wrong. Players brought in won't all settle in and we need to bring quite a few in.

Expecting promotion next season is extremely optimistic in my view.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Totally agree. Teams that get relegated where they've just failed to stay up, where the team spirit, ethos, manager etc. are all established and professional - say Burnley for example - they have a decent chance of returning. History suggests that teams that go down as an utter shambles tend not to go back up any time soon. Regardless of money, there's too much needing to be changed in too short a time. Villa as a team was not remotely premier league standard last season.  We were so far adrift it was disgraceful. There's a major rebuild needed. That will almost certainly take 2 seasons.

And then there's the new manager, new owner situation. An owner who's never owned a club before will make bad decisions, or at least get a fair few wrong. Players brought in won't all settle in and we need to bring quite a few in.

Expecting promotion next season is extremely optimistic in my view.

Yeah I think we're down here for awhile. 

7 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

We will have a better idea of our promotion prospects come August.

Pretty much. So many premature predictions right now. I honestly don't know what to expect because there are so many unknowns.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villa89 said:

Or longer, which is a real worry.

Why is it a worry? Not like we've got any choice in the matter and we've been floundering for years with no real structured plan. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Why is it a worry? Not like we've got any choice in the matter and we've been floundering for years with no real structured plan. 

The longer we are in the Fizzy Pop leagues the longer we go without the huge amount of TV money that the premier league brings in and the further behind premier league teams we will be. Plus the parachute payments run out eventually so if we want to compete in the premier league we need to get back into it as soon as possible. Unless Dr X has bottomless pockets of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

The longer we are in the Fizzy Pop leagues the longer we go without the huge amount of TV money that the premier league brings in and the further behind premier league teams we will be. Plus the parachute payments run out eventually so if we want to compete in the premier league we need to get back into it as soon as possible. Unless Dr X has bottomless pockets of course.

I understand all of that but again, we don't really have any choice in the matter - so worrying seems a bit pointless to me. 

Whilst we might not get promoted next season due to the mess we are in - We absolutely have to get promoted at first time of asking. This needs to be through the top 2, not the playoffs as that is too much risk of missing out. There can be no excuses, assuming we spend £20mill on top of sales.

and yes i know there is a good chance we might not even finish in the top 6.   

NO EXCUSES. 

36 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Whilst we might not get promoted next season due to the mess we are in - We absolutely have to get promoted at first time of asking. This needs to be through the top 2, not the playoffs as that is too much risk of missing out. There can be no excuses, assuming we spend £20mill on top of sales.

and yes i know there is a good chance we might not even finish in the top 6.   

NO EXCUSES. 

Wouldn't next season be the first time of asking?:unsure:

• Like 3

It's too early to try and predict what will happen next season. We'll know a lot more once the takeover goes through and we employ a manager and staff. A lot can happen in a short space of time and it could be that we act quickly in the transfer market and the new manager galvanises the team, with new positivity and direction and everyone playing to the same tune. We might be surprised by how well we do. 

It could, of course, easily go wrong and we end up nowhere near promotion.

I'm not qualified (couldn't afford the time travellers license) to predict which way it will go. It's hell waiting for news, seems to be taking forever. We just have to hold tight and see what happens. 

• Like 4

As most say it's too early to predict next season until the TO is complete or should I say the squad is in place but just going off our current squad we would be fighting for promotion. I expect there to be a big turnover and for our squad to be a lot better next season so going off of that we will be up there. The only only thing is will it be automatic or play offs. 

Too early to predict pending the takeover?

Well what can we predict?

The takeover is not yet complete and will not be for a few days yet. - yes we can predict that

We have no manager in place and the squad needs a complete change - yes we can also predict this

The league campaign starts in 10 weeks and whatever squad we have needs preparing including friendly games and coaching from a coaching set up we also do not have - yes that can be predicted too.

So given what we can predict which is uncertainty until a takeover is complete ,  and to be honest a degree of uncertainty after that as well,  I think it is fair to say that we will not land running at the start of the season and will be playing catchup and actually precisely because we do not know the squad make up or ownership or managerial team that means there are far too many uncertainties for us to expect a promotion push next season.  Just too many things have to come together quickly and be positive for that to happen. Tick tock

Yes, the new season starts in 10 weeks, but another way of looking at it is that last season finished a couple of days ago.  The transfer window isn't open yet.  Assuming that we are unlikely to be shopping for Euro players, most if not all of our targets will be on their holidays.  

We need to get a move on, but there is still time to get everything in place and I'm absolutely certain that plenty will be happening behind the scenes.  As soon as F&P tests are passed it'll be full on very quickly.  It's frustrating to be in limbo, but way too early to write off next season because of where we are now.

• Like 1

Â