Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

16 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Hopefully. As shit as some of them are, they aren't playing Premier League teams every week. The likes of Lescott, Richards, Guzan and Gabby are the ones we need shot of. I think some others were just part of a bad team rather than being spectacularly shit individuals themselves.

Absolutely this.

I'd try and hold onto most of our signings from last summer, bar Lescott and Richards.

Gana, Veretout, Gestede, Amavi, Adama, Ayew etc will all do well at Championship level.

In fact, without going too much off topic, I think they'd have done well at Premier League level too if they'd been recruited into a team that had a few quality players in there already. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolutely this.

I'd try and hold onto most of our signings from last summer, bar Lescott and Richards.

Gana, Veretout, Gestede, Amavi, Adama, Ayew etc will all do well at Championship level.

In fact, without going too much off topic, I think they'd have done well at Premier League level too if they'd been recruited into a team that had a few quality players in there already. 

I said last summer there was a base of a good side, I was just waiting for it to click, and as we all know it never did. 

Those players recruited from abroad are good players that need a few leaders around them. You could argue if they're that good they wouldn't, but it was a bit too much too soon in terms of new bodies in from abroad. 

I could see them coming into their own in the Championsip, rebuilding their confidence ready for another crack at the Prem. Completely feasible under Dr X now. 

• Like 1

Think we might need a bit of a reality check tbh, if we finish in the play-off positions next season it's got to be counted as a success. A lot of people were fearing for our Championship survival under the previous regime (and rightly so in my view). The squad needs gutting, we've got some absolute stinkers on the wage bill, we've got a job on our hands keeping our best players, and almost all positions in the first team need strengthening.

We've basically got 3/4 months to sort everything out. I'm really REALLY excited about what Dr. X can do in the long term, but the reality of our current situation shouldn't be forgotten in the blink of an eye. We must have patience :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I said last summer there was a base of a good side, I was just waiting for it to click, and as we all know it never did. 

Those players recruited from abroad are good players that need a few leaders around them. You could argue if they're that good they wouldn't, but it was a bit too much too soon in terms of new bodies in from abroad. 

I could see them coming into their own in the Championsip, rebuilding their confidence ready for another crack at the Prem. Completely feasible under Dr X now. 

I think the base is what we were missing.

The players we bought were all players that needed bedding in or time to adjust. But we didn't have the quality in the squad to allow that.

If, for example, we had Vlaar, Delph and Benteke still in the side, then the players we bought would have looked a lot better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 7392craig said:

The problem is with QPR they bought mercenaries, just there for a big wage. As people have pointed out, morale and work rate will be so important with our new players.

If we find a manager that can identify these players..

All won't be done in one season it will take time to build

59 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

We're actually 11/1 to win the league over at Skybet.

Now I'm not saying I think we'll do it, but I am saying those are good odds. I've put a £20 on each way. 

Wow we are really are not fancied are we. I am tempted to put a tenner on

We have a very very good chance of going up at the first attempt.Its like Reme Garde said, all we need ( to get out of the championship ) is a decent goalkeeper and a decent striker.We can hopefully keep the players like Ayew and Gana and players like Gestede and Sinclair will cause real trouble in the championship.

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

With Gestede,Sinclair and a decent striker we wont need new defenders because we will score more goals than the opposition :) 

I see a flaw in your argument...:(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont.With up to 25 mil to spend each on a goalkeeper and a striker we could sign someone like Austin,Benteke or Pelle.

Hate to break this news to you, but we were relegated. We will be playing next season in the Championship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Wow we are really are not fancied are we. I am tempted to put a tenner on

Well, we're third favourites behind Newcastle and Norwich who both came down with us but with higher points. So it sounds about right to me.

I agree it's good value though. I'll be putting some money on it.

In a way, If I could pick, I'd prefer 2nd over first. I just wouldn't want the "2016/17 Championship Winners" on our roll of honour. I'd prefer to sneak back into the league and then go again (c) Paul Lambert.

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree it's good value though. I'll be putting some money on it.

I think 11/1 is terrible value. maybe for promotion it's about right, but to win it - no chance.

• Like 1

Â