Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As a few other players which were widely slated on here when we had them.

So? it's a team game and he was not very good.  Don't care what his team does, and I doubt he was totally responsible for it. He just wasn't a good player and I'm glad he left and no iwouldnt want him back now

8 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Hull promoted, which in glad about. They would have been more of a force next season ahead of Sheff Wednesday. 

im just happy as it means Steve Bruce wont be joining for certain ;)

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

So? it's a team game and he was not very good.  Don't care what his team does, and I doubt he was totally responsible for it. He just wasn't a good player and I'm glad he left and no iwouldnt want him back now

He made the championship team of the year, so its definitely not a case of him being carried by the team.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I was just stating a fact. they were playing a "team game" at Villa too. Obviously being in a shite team does not help a player perform.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

If we receive a £30-£40m investment in the squad, and appoint a decent manager, both of which are supposedly on the cards, then mid table would be a massive under-performance. 

If those things don't happen, then of course all bets are off. 

Is it that simple? 

We need the owner, board, manager, management team all through the door before they can truly begin assessing the squad, scouting replacements and making decisions based on all of this before drawing up a list of targets and negotiating with clubs/agents/players. Then the manager has to train those players into forming a coherent team on the pitch, a hard ask for better managers than RDM.

We could still be weeks away from that process beginning on a practical level. At the very least, I would forgive them for not spending that money as wisely as they normally might given the circumstances and mid-table would be an entirely understandable performance. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is it that simple? 

We need the owner, board, manager, management team all through the door before they can truly begin assessing the squad, scouting replacements and making decisions based on all of this before drawing up a list of targets and negotiating with clubs/agents/players. Then the manager has to train those players into forming a coherent team on the pitch, a hard ask for better managers than RDM.

I totally agree with this. I think simply thinking we appoint a decent manager give him 30 mill to spend and bingo we will compete for promotion is not fully taking into account what a total shambles this club is.

There is no simple or quick fix to this. There are so many positions to be filled not just the manager. One of the main reasons we have ended up in this mess is that the positions above the manager have been filled with people out of their depth and not having a clue what they are doing.

We are now less than 10 weeks from the start of the new season. We have an ownership in no mans land with the sale still at least a week away from being rubber stamped. We have no manager, we have no CEO, we have a scouting set up apparently about to be overhauled and we have a poor squad of players that the new manager will want to access before undertaking a major rebuild.

Thinking we can turn things around in a couple of months and be competing for promotion next season is asking a lot regardless how much we have to spend and who the manager is.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

A £30m net spend for mid-table championship finish would be an unforgivable outcome for any manager/ transfer committee overseeing such a poor outcome. The Championship is surely an easy league to buy your way out of. It's very simple, sign quality players for that division and they will blast us out of it. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A £30m net spend for mid-table championship finish would be an unforgivable outcome for any manager/ transfer committee overseeing such a poor outcome. The Championship is surely an easy league to buy your way out of. It's very simple, sign quality players for that division and they will blast us out of it. 

You are clearly showcasing your lack of knowledge on football, it is not that simple furthermore your forgetting the key fundamentals such as creating a good team spirit, a cohesive understanding of how the each other plays, understanding the tactics ect. The championship is not a league where a team can buy their way out, teams that have done this have had a structure in place. We lack a structure.

Things do not work themselves out because money has been spent on supposedly quality players..

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is it that simple? 

We could still be weeks away from that process beginning on a practical level. At the very least, I would forgive them for not spending that money as wisely as they normally might given the circumstances and mid-table would be an entirely understandable performance. 

I don't necessarily disagree with some of that. 

Obviously, there are some conditions to my prediction - I mentioned two, that we actually invest £30m-£40m in the squad, and that we actually appoint a decent manager - but you can include some others as well. One that I thought was inherent in the first condition, but can be separately addressed, is that we actually get a new owner. If Xia fails the ownership test, or turns out to be lacking capital in some way, then all bets are off. 

In terms of the manager, I would hope RDM has done a certain amount of homework and is basically familiar with which players he wants to keep and which he wants to sell. He should also have some ideas in terms of player recruitment. While nobody expects him to be a scout, in the short term he may need to consult his own rolodex. It's true that we haven't got months to dilly-dally in, and we may have to boogie a bit faster than we are used to in the PL, but it's worth remembering the playoff final was only yesterday and the transfer window isn't even open yet. While we don't have a lot of time, we aren't a million miles behind. 

On the mid-table thing, we're just going to have to agree to disagree, and if Xia does take over, I think given everything he's said so far there's a 0% chance he will consider 12th to be an 'understandable performance'. 

18 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

You are clearly showcasing your lack of knowledge on football, it is not that simple furthermore your forgetting the key fundamentals such as creating a good team spirit, a cohesive understanding of how the each other plays, understanding the tactics ect. The championship is not a league where a team can buy their way out, teams that have done this have had a structure in place. We lack a structure.

Things do not work themselves out because money has been spent on supposedly quality players..

Ah OK, sorry about that coach!

• Like 2

Let's take people back 10 years....we were in a very similar state but still in the prem.

Lerner takeover went through in August, think MON was appointed only two weeks before start of season and we didn't  sign a single player, Petrov came in on last day of August window.

We were unbeaten in the league until October 27th.

I just think not having Lerner as our owner will give the place a massive boost and Villa Park will be a much more optimistic place on match days which will hopefully spread to the pitch.

We need to get cracking soon with transfers though as this squad isn't getting promotion anytime soon.

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Let's take people back 10 years....we were in a very similar state but still in the prem.

Lerner takeover went through in August, think MON was appointed only two weeks before start of season and we didn't  sign a single player, Petrov came in on last day of August window.

We were unbeaten in the league until October 27th.

I just think not having Lerner as our owner will give the place a massive boost and Villa Park will be a much more optimistic place on match days which will hopefully spread to the pitch.

We need to get cracking soon with transfers though as this squad isn't getting promotion anytime soon.

I agree to a certain extent but this situation is a lot different. That squad O'Neill inherited wasn't very good but it stayed up comfortably 8 points clear of the drop zone and had some decent characters in it like Mellberg, Laursen, Bouma.

This squad is dire. I think if it stayed together it would struggle to finish top half of the Championship. Not just based on ability but due to the dire attitudes of some of the players. It needs a massive rebuild. Only Petrov came in 2006 but that squad had enough in it to compete especially as O'Neill was very good at getting the best out of average players.

It is not just the playing side that is a mess. There is no structure in place above the manager. No CEO, the scouting side needs ripping up and starting again something Xia has said will happen. There is just so much to do and the season starts in under 10 weeks. We need major developments this week and I am not confident we will get them.

• Like 1

I'm with @Richard and @markavfc40

I think the particular set of circumstances needed in order to gain us automatic promotion next season are so wildly ambitious that I fail to see how they are even remotely realistic. However, I'm not shocked by this, or broken, I'm cool with it. I realise that the club is a **** mess right now and that it might take a couple of years for this mess to be rectified. I certainly don't understand why people are 'laughing out loud' at the proposition.  

I'm confident that under the right ownership we will probably spend 2/3 years in the Championship then will be promoted. At which time, hopefully, we will have a stable base from which to build further. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm with @Richard and @markavfc40

I think the particular set of circumstances needed in order to gain us automatic promotion next season are so wildly ambitious that I fail to see how they are even remotely realistic. However, I'm not shocked by this, or broken, I'm cool with it. I realise that the club is a **** mess right now and that it might take a couple of years for this mess to be rectified. I certainly don't understand why people are 'laughing out loud' at the proposition.  

I'm confident that under the right ownership we will probably spend 2/3 years in the Championship then will be promoted. At which time, hopefully, we will have a stable base from which to build further. 

I hate it when people say things like that, and it makes sence.

• Like 1

Â