Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Needs some massive work in the next few weeks.  Has anyone seen the leaked fixtures that have popped up on social media?

Yes had us playing Wolves midweek Home and Away and Huddersfield away 1st game but anyway they are not the fixtures the Football League have said.

Ok, I know the chances of it being real are pretty slim, but just looking at the fixture list has made me actually start to feel quite excited about the coming season.

It was all so horrific last season I genuinely tried my best to forget football even existed. And now we're in a right horrorshow of a league that we'll likely struggle to get back out of. And seeing some of those games brings home how hard it will be to win consistently enough to challenge at the top. Not enough stand out as games I'd back us to win with great confidence or ease.

And yet I still find myself feeling that little frisson of excitement thinking about Villa playing again. What's wrong with me?

On 5/29/2016 at 02:01, AJ said:

70 to 80 points!

200_s.gif

Holy crap I hadn't thought about that...

To put that in perspective, we've only amassed 93 points in the last three seasons combined which is ironically exactly how many points Burnley acquired this season to win the league. Burnley won 26 games this season while we've only won 23 games in the last FIVE seasons combined... :ph34r:

• Like 1

But on the flip side, in the 14/15 season Burnley were relegated only having won 7 games and losing 19. Yes their points tally eclipsed ours of this season, but it's still worth remembering!

6 hours ago, Intercourse_The_Penguin said:

Ok, I know the chances of it being real are pretty slim, but just looking at the fixture list has made me actually start to feel quite excited about the coming season.

It was all so horrific last season I genuinely tried my best to forget football even existed. And now we're in a right horrorshow of a league that we'll likely struggle to get back out of. And seeing some of those games brings home how hard it will be to win consistently enough to challenge at the top. Not enough stand out as games I'd back us to win with great confidence or ease.

And yet I still find myself feeling that little frisson of excitement thinking about Villa playing again. What's wrong with me?

Well, I can promise you we certainly will be playing those games, if it helps.  I just can't guarantee the order.B)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

But on the flip side, in the 14/15 season Burnley were relegated only having won 7 games and losing 19. Yes their points tally eclipsed ours of this season, but it's still worth remembering!

oh to have won 7 games in the Premier League.

those were the good old days

We can do it, won't be easy mind. I still have absolutely no idea of what players we'll be bringing in or even what kind of market we'll be shopping in? A new goal keeper is absolutely imperative though, that fat clearing in the woods Guzan is the main and outstanding contributor to our downfall. He's appalling.  

1 hour ago, Holtern8 said:

Guzan is the main and outstanding contributor to our downfall. He's appalling.  

Haha, really?!! 

Yes he's been shit for a while, yes he needs to be replaced, but the main reason we are where we are?

9 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Haha, really?!! 

Yes he's been shit for a while, yes he needs to be replaced, but the main reason we are where we are?

maybe one of the main 24 reasons  :P

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JPAngel said:

Holy crap I hadn't thought about that...

To put that in perspective, we've only amassed 93 points in the last three seasons combined which is ironically exactly how many points Burnley acquired this season to win the league. Burnley won 26 games this season while we've only won 23 games in the last FIVE seasons combined... :ph34r:

I don't think we will finish in one of the automatic promotion places next season. I think it's an admirable but totally unrealistic aim given the sheer amount of work we will need to do to overhaul the squad in time. 

However I will say this - just like losing, winning can become a habit. If we make all the right moves this summer, it only takes 3 or 4 wins on the bounce and in a division notably weaker than we are coming from those stats posted become completely irrelevant. Winning 26 games in the Championship is not an impossible dream, it's just one that is a bit beyond us this coming season, IMO. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think we will finish in one of the automatic promotion places next season. I think it's an admirable but totally unrealistic aim given the sheer amount of work we will need to do to overhaul the squad in time. 

However I will say this - just like losing, winning can become a habit. If we make all the right moves this summer, it only takes 3 or 4 wins on the bounce and in a division notably weaker than we are coming from those stats posted become completely irrelevant. Winning 26 games in the Championship is not an impossible dream, it's just one that is a bit beyond us this coming season, IMO. 

I think you're right. My post was just for a bit of perspective though and I also agree that I don't think we'll go up in the automatic places just yet.

Am I alone in forgetting how it feels to go into a game with confidence? I think that's why I'm struggling with the concept of winning X amount of games/accruing Y amount of points.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fully agree. I believe the overhaul is in progress. We were so glaringly bad as a club, we really needed an enema to clear out the crap. Some people are a little pessimistic about our chances, due to our recent history of being good at being awful. However, with Lerner gone and a good manager, we can make progress to where Aston Villa belongs. Also looking at the quality of game during the promotion play offs, I believe we should give ourselves more credit than we do, especially if we manage to overhaul the playing squad. I  think it is better to stay positive.

But what are we to base any optimism on? What do we know and what dont we know?

We know

We are Aston Villa

We are in the championship and it is a slightly weaker league than the premiership.

The current squad and ex management and owner were the worst in the Premier League last season

What we dont know

How the new manager and his team which are also new to him will cope in the championship

What players we will have coming to the club

What players will be leaving the club

The style of football we will play

The investment in the playing squad the owner will make and if more investment will be made in January

See all the things we dont know are the things we need to know if we are to be optimistic.  There are far too many unknowns and too much to do to make them known right now. Seems to be the only thing we know that should make us optimistic,  or some people optimistic,  is we are Aston Villa and I'm afraid thats not good enough we shouldnt be basing all our hopes on that fact.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

......looking at the quality of game during the promotion play offs, I believe we should give ourselves more credit than we do, especially if we manage to overhaul the playing squad. I  think it is better to stay positive.

Have you considered the quality of our play from last season too?

And the quality we showed against lower league opposition over the last few years?

We no longer have N'Zog and Richardson, but as of now the rest of the disgraceful shite is still clogging up the bog.

We've got to get rid of at least 6 Shisters and replace them with suitables for a promotion push.

Thats a minimum of 12 difficult deals to push through, bed in, and set a pattern of play within 6-8 weeks.

We need a good start otherwise teams will come to VP and look to sneak 1-3pts.

Lets face reality, we've been shite for 5/6 seasons now, we need more than just new owners, board, manager, coaches and a few players to turn it around.

Nearly EVERY decision, Manager, coaches, budget, sales, buys and a philosiphy has to be right. Our margin for error is something like 6-8 from 23 home games, and 12-16 from 23 away games.  Basically 23 away Cup finals and 23 home games equivelent to 23 trips to Wembley for teams coming to VP.

Throw in 2 Cups and we are in for a 2 games a week slog more often than not.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Have you considered the quality of our play from last season too?

And the quality we showed against lower league opposition over the last few years?

We no longer have N'Zog and Richardson, but as of now the rest of the disgraceful shite is still clogging up the bog.

We've got to get rid of at least 6 Shisters and replace them with suitables for a promotion push.

Thats a minimum of 12 difficult deals to push through, bed in, and set a pattern of play within 6-8 weeks.

We need a good start otherwise teams will come to VP and look to sneak 1-3pts.

Lets face reality, we've been shite for 5/6 seasons now, we need more than just new owners, board, manager, coaches and a few players to turn it around.

Nearly EVERY decision, Manager, coaches, budget, sales, buys and a philosiphy has to be right. Our margin for error is something like 6-8 from 23 home games, and 12-16 from 23 away games.  Basically 23 away Cup finals and 23 home games equivelent to 23 trips to Wembley for teams coming to VP.

Throw in 2 Cups and we are in for a 2 games a week slog more often than not.

Yes, I have considered our quality of play from last season, like I said, we have been so good at being awful, and we do need to get rid of a lot of crap out of the playing squad, especially the lazy bastards and the disruptive asshats. If we can get a squad that is motivated and actually enjoy playing football, then we have a good shot. I believe we can do it. If I am a fool for being positive, then I will be that fool. It helps me sleep better at night.

Pessimists vs. Optimists

• Like 3

@Richard To me optimism isn't as scientific. I am optimistic because I will be in a shit mood for the next 2 months waiting for the season to start if I am anything but optimistic about it. So I choose to be optimistic regardless of what facts there are against my current mindset. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Yes, I have considered our quality of play from last season, like I said, we have been so good at being awful, and we do need to get rid of a lot of crap out of the playing squad, especially the lazy bastards and the disruptive asshats. If we can get a squad that is motivated and actually enjoy playing football, then we have a good shot. I believe we can do it. If I am a fool for being positive, then I will be that fool. It helps me sleep better at night.

Pessimists vs. Optimists

I see what you mean

Pessimism/Optimism doesnt come into it though.

There are factors in our situation at the moment so we cannot rely on a whim/hope or it'll be alright on the night kind of mentallity.

I really do hope that the wheels are turning and Dr X gets the sale through. RDM is not my first choice but he'll get my full support. I really want a new start after the Lerner-disaster, so all the cancers that are associated with his idiocy have to be removed from the club. That's a lot of work getting rid of enough old so the new takes the lead in forming a positive atmosphere.

Like I said, there is not a great deal of margin for errors to get us back on the up. How much "up" we can get, who knows, and if its enough for top 2/6 remains to be seen.

I'd rather see things as they are and get behind Dr X RDM & the (new) players expecting an improvement in the right direction so that we get promoted eventually.

I can see a danger of people expecting too much, showing no patience, then calling the players Shite, wanting to Sack the Manager and calling Dr X "RL mk2" after a few bad results.

This Club is broken and the repair job is huge, second only to the even more huge amount of money needed to put it right.

Having said all that, nothing would please me more than Dr X

1) financing the payoffs of the said cancer/scum

2) budgeting enough to bring in the players needed to get us Up (Ch winners if possible).

3) spunking enough to challenge in the PL next season

4) being a major player in PL & CL for years to come

Anyway

back to todays reality

Gaby, Lescott, Richards, Bacuna, Sinclair & Guzan all due back for training after Euro's as it stands.

• Like 1

Â