Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think 11/1 is terrible value. maybe for promotion it's about right, but to win it - no chance.

In comparison to the odds for other teams, it is.

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

And a couple of decent defenders.

Yeh And  

4 midfield players

2 strikers 

and some back up. I'm more concerned currently of realistically competing in the championship. Have we all just blanked out last season???

with have a new owner we now need the structure of the club to be built again and a new team and manager with strategy . Really really hope I'm wrong but it's going to be very difficult to bounce back straight away. The state we are in will take some sorting out we are not in a position I feel to challenge for the championship. 

Lets hope we appoint the correct manager/ really concerned RDM is being linked.

Everybody saying it wont take much spending to do well in that league and citing the fact that other clubs didnt spend much or need to spend much,  I'm afraid that is not relevant to us at all as our squad is ,  frankly,  appalling and needs improving all over the place.

Those other teams kept together a decent crop of players and just added to it or took a few years to construct a squad capable of competing in that division.  we need to replace the majority of ours in one hit and be competitive straight away.  That is going to take ,  I would argue,  every penny of 30 or 40M and that is without receipts from sales in my humble opinion. We also need to factor in that squad development will need to be for this year and the next couple of years.  We cannot be signing players this summer and then next starting again with premier league quality players if we get promoted.  We will need a core group signing this year that can develop with us and stick around for a few years and just be supplemented.

So this summer we need

Decent Goalie - what is that going to cost 2 or 3 M?

Two new defenders as a minimum - central defenders maybe even a right back. So what 4 or 5M each?

Two new midfielders - again a minimum of central  midfielders maybe a wide mand as wel . Again 4 or 5M each?

New forward players - main striker and one other say 10M for a striker and 5 or 6 for the back up.

Thats betweem 33 and 39 million and those are pretty ow prices and conservative estimate of the positions needing filling

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard said:

New forward players - main striker and one other say 10M for a striker and 5 or 6 for the back up.

Thats betweem 33 and 39 million and those are pretty ow prices and conservative estimate of the positions needing filling

£10m a low estimate for a striker, when the Championship record is £11m and we already have a player who scored 32 in 60 in that league from '13-'15. Okay.

Oh, and the "Most expensive Championship XI" from last summer cost £42.8m. But £39.m is a "low estimate" of the minimum we need to spend.

Edited by kurtsimonw

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

£10m a low estimate for a striker, when the Championship record is £11m and we already have a player who scored 32 in 60 in that league from '13-'15. Okay.

Oh, and the "Most expensive Championship XI" from last summer cost £42.8m. But £39.m is a "low estimate" of the minimum we need to spend.

You've obviously not read the rest of my post,  come back when you have.  Oh and how does a squad put together from a number of teams in that division remotely equate to other clubs not having to spend much or my assertion that we need multiple players all over the park to replace an entire team.  Oh and something I missed by the way in my post that you didnt read the prices of players will increase as there is more money in the game and if our new owner is legit people will put prices up anyway as it's Villa.  if we want to be competitive in that division next season we need around 8 new players (note need not want and when it is need the price has a tendency to rise slightly as well).  Players that are good enough for next season and good enough to develop for at least the season or two after next.  Those type cost a bit you know.  8 players at 3M is 24 M.  I maintain that the type we need are in the 4-5M bracket. So that very quickly pushes it up to 40M,  But you wont agree,  its not your opinion.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

You've obviously not read the rest of my post,  come back when you have.  Oh and how does a squad put together from a number of teams in that division remotely equate to other clubs not having to spend much or my assertion that we need multiple players all over the park to replace an entire team.  Oh and something I missed by the way in my post that you didnt read the prices of players will increase as there is more money in the game and if our new owner is legit people will put prices up anyway as it's Villa.  if we want to be competitive in that division next season we need around 8 new players (note need not want and when it is need the price has a tendency to rise slightly as well).  Players that are good enough for next season and good enough to develop for at least the season or two after next.  Those type cost a bit you know.  8 players at 3M is 24 M.  I maintain that the type we need are in the 4-5M bracket. So that very quickly pushes it up to 40M,  But you wont agree,  its not your opinion.

I did read it. 

As for it being different clubs, that would be even more against your argument. Surely each of these clubs are likely to spend "big" once. What're the chances that one club spends "big" 11 times? Certainly unlikely. We don't need to replace "an entire team". Our net cost will almost certainly decrease if we do that, as we'd obviously be selling players. Don't be shocked if we end up with quite a few players in the side who are still at the club.

I don't think it's massively outside the realms of possibility that the likes of Clark, Baker, Westwood, Gardner, Gestede will be first team players next season - that's without the likes of Grealish, Gil, Amavi and whoever else might stay of those that're "too good" for the Championship and then whichever youngsters get put through in to the first time squad, Toner and Lyden aren't far off given this past few months. Note, I am talking about need. It may well be that the new manager doesn't want a single player in the squad, we sack every one off and spend £100m. But I certainly don't think we need to do that. It's easy to have an overreaction after a season we have had. Obviously a different time, but Derby had the worst season ever with a squad that obviously - due to promotion - competed in the top end of the Championship. Easy to dismiss saying "it's different". But none of us know how our players will cope. What we do know is that Gestede is a proven scorer in that league and who knows how Sinclair will be as it's been a few years since he was. Bristol want to keep Baker, Forest want to sign Gardner, so I don't imagine those pair did too awful. 

I'm not going to get carried away thinking we're going to have turnover of 30 players or anything. Could we? Yes. Do we need to? No, I don't think so.

• Like 2

Newcastle and Norwich obviously our main rivals for Promotion. Who else will be in with a shout?

Our favorite neighbours make a push?

Derby with Pearson for sure. Brighton with Houghton seems likely. The loser of Sheffield Wednesday and Hull? QPR?

Going to be harder than we think. Although.. looking at their squads... i dont see why we cant compete. I expect us to be in the top 3 and win the FA Cup so we play Europe when we get promoted ;)

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, KSV said:

Newcastle and Norwich obviously our main rivals for Promotion. Who else will be in with a shout?

Our favorite neighbours make a push?

Derby with Pearson for sure. Brighton with Houghton seems likely. The loser of Sheffield Wednesday and Hull? QPR?

Going to be harder than we think. Although.. looking at their squads... i dont see why we cant compete. I expect us to be in the top 3 and win the FA Cup so we play Europe when we get promoted ;)

Didn't take long for the banned legal highs to surface ;)

34 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Didn't take long for the banned legal highs to surface ;)

Hehe fa cup was a joke but I think we can come up. Our squad was not Premier League level but a few astute signings and keep a few of our better players together with some of our youth players.. we should have a decent enough squad for the championship . Bannan is a star in it.. can't be too good!

On 20 May 2016 at 13:47, Richard said:

Everybody saying it wont take much spending to do well in that league and citing the fact that other clubs didnt spend much or need to spend much,  I'm afraid that is not relevant to us at all as our squad is ,  frankly,  appalling and needs improving all over the place.

Those other teams kept together a decent crop of players and just added to it or took a few years to construct a squad capable of competing in that division.  we need to replace the majority of ours in one hit and be competitive straight away.  That is going to take ,  I would argue,  every penny of 30 or 40M and that is without receipts from sales in my humble opinion. We also need to factor in that squad development will need to be for this year and the next couple of years.  We cannot be signing players this summer and then next starting again with premier league quality players if we get promoted.  We will need a core group signing this year that can develop with us and stick around for a few years and just be supplemented.

So this summer we need

Decent Goalie - what is that going to cost 2 or 3 M?

Two new defenders as a minimum - central defenders maybe even a right back. So what 4 or 5M each?

Two new midfielders - again a minimum of central  midfielders maybe a wide mand as wel . Again 4 or 5M each?

I would be suprised if we need to spend that much to be honest rich. It all depends on how many players leave the club. I think that will determine how much we need to spend. 

2 minutes ago, KSV said:

Hehe fa cup was a joke but I think we can come up. Our squad was not Premier League level but a few astute signings and keep a few of our better players together with some of our youth players.. we should have a decent enough squad for the championship . Bannan is a star in it.. can't be too good!

I'm amazed we think the championship will be a breeze for villa next year we still don't have confirmed new owner we don't have a manager. We still have the same shit squad Not capable of challenging for the Micky mouse cup. 

The repair to our club is going to take some time 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I'm amazed we think the championship will be a breeze for villa next year we still don't have confirmed new owner we don't have a manager. We still have the same shit squad Not capable of challenging for the Micky mouse cup. 

The repair to our club is going to take some time 

#TrustInTony

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

#TrustInTony

It's not really up to Tony though is it? He can only control so much, particularly in such a short time period.

The new manager won't have seen the current squad train, he won't know anything about the dressing room, yet were asking him to get one of the worst teams in sports history promoted at the first attempt. 

It won't happen. We, and Dr T, need to be realistic. I'd be fine with mid table. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's not really up to Tony though is it? He can only control so much, particularly in such a short time period.

The new manager won't have seen the current squad train, he won't know anything about the dressing room, yet were asking him to get one of the worst teams in sports history promoted at the first attempt. 

It won't happen. We, and Dr T, need to be realistic. I'd be fine with mid table. 

I dunno. When this thread began, it was no chance. Tony on board, good chance. New manager and proper squad surgery - every chance. 

1 hour ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I hope I'm wrong really but I do not see us getting up first time. 

I belevie there are better teams positioned to push for promotion next year , and we will struggle. 

We need to refresh the squad we need players to bed in with the new manager . The manager needs to Attract players the get them playing the way he wants. The manager will need time! 

This is a new dawn for the club but  I still think there is an awfull lot of work to be done just to get us positioned to challenge.

again hope I'm wrong but I belevie we will need more than one season to sort this mess out . 

I Agree, I said something similar weeks ago, We need to be realistic about this. Say the deal went through today with new ownership (Approved & Confirmed), New board members, management, coaching staff and a turnround of 15/20 players.

IMO still a minimum of 2 years to rebuild and challenge at the right end of the table. 

Staying in the division should be the number one priority and hopefully challenge for the play offs the following season.

I think we will get promoted or we'll be very close if we don't.  This talk about 'staying in the division' is absolute tosh IMO and is setting the bar way too low. We will be a much better side next year, with a better manager, in a much poorer league relatively speaking. We should be pushing hard for promotion and we should expect nothing less. 

Â