Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

Newcastle have not finished their summer spending despite an outlay of more than £25m on Dwight Gayle, Matt Ritchie and Matz Sels.

But, according to the Northern Echo, there's likely to be plenty of activity the other way too.

The likes of Georginio Wijnaldum, Moussa Sissoko and Siem De Jong remain “the most likely candidates” to depart. 

Courtesy of the SS transfer ticker. I think Newcastle are the chief promotion rivals if we sort ourselves out and losing those players will be good news for us.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

No pressure then :D

I'm not sure they pay attention to the odds ;)  Quite telling that bookmakers/the public think they're that far ahead of everyone else, though.

Newcastle 15/8

Aston Villa 9/1

Norwich 9/1

Derby 11/1

Brighton 12/1

Sheff Wed 14/1

Wolves 16/1

With Wolves looking like coming into big money, we really need to take advantage of the head start we have over them, and get promoted straight away. That said I'm not convinced that Newcastle are going to run away with it, in the fashion that some people seem to think.

36 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not sure they pay attention to the odds ;)  Quite telling that bookmakers/the public think they're that far ahead of everyone else, though.

Newcastle 15/8

Aston Villa 9/1

Norwich 9/1

Derby 11/1

Brighton 12/1

Sheff Wed 14/1

Wolves 16/1

Baffles me seeing Newcastle that far ahead. Are they really THAT good?! I don't see it myself. Obviously they will be favourites with Benitez at the helm and given quality of some of their players. They are still a very average side though and I wouldn't say we are miles behind them, despite those odds indicating otherwise...

Edited by briggaman

5 minutes ago, briggaman said:

Baffles me seeing Newcastle that far ahead. Are they really THAT good?! I don't see it myself. Obviously they will be favourites with Benitez at the helm and given quality of some of their players. They are still a very average side though and I wouldn't say we are miles behind them, despite those odds indicating otherwise...

they didnt lose in last 6 last season including vs Liverpool, City and slaughtering Spurs. their players are a disgrace but they are a lot better than what we currently have if get act together

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

they didnt lose in last 6 last season including vs Liverpool, City and slaughtering Spurs. their players are a disgrace but they are a lot better than what we currently have if get act together

They are a good side with an excellent manager but the mainstay of their current team still only managed 9 or so wins all season, with very few wins away from home (2).  Benitez and his signings will make them stronger, but 15/8 still seems very short to me given how tough the league is this year.  Be interesting to see how their players handle the pressure and expectations of being nailed on favourates - definitely takes pressure of us so quite happy with it tbh.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Bookies odds only partially reflect the strength of the side.  They also reflect betting patterns and protect against potential payouts.  Plus Newcastle as one of 2 giants in the league, and the only giant not in disarray, are well capable of getting that far ahead.  So it makes sense even if it turns out not to reflect reality.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Manchester United or Arsenal, in his head.

Shit player.

he is as deluded as they come but somehow he will probably play in a Euro 2016 semi final :crylaugh:

2 hours ago, briggaman said:

Better for us, as all the pressure will be on Newcastle, not us

56 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he is as deluded as they come but somehow he will probably play in a Euro 2016 semi final :crylaugh:

How is he "as deluded as they come"?

Personally think Sissoko is a cracking player.

• Like 2

Â