Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

9 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I see what you mean

Pessimism/Optimism doesnt come into it though.

There are factors in our situation at the moment so we cannot rely on a whim/hope or it'll be alright on the night kind of mentallity.

I really do hope that the wheels are turning and Dr X gets the sale through. RDM is not my first choice but he'll get my full support. I really want a new start after the Lerner-disaster, so all the cancers that are associated with his idiocy have to be removed from the club. That's a lot of work getting rid of enough old so the new takes the lead in forming a positive atmosphere.

Like I said, there is not a great deal of margin for errors to get us back on the up. How much "up" we can get, who knows, and if its enough for top 2/6 remains to be seen.

I'd rather see things as they are and get behind Dr X RDM & the (new) players expecting an improvement in the right direction so that we get promoted eventually.

I can see a danger of people expecting too much, showing no patience, then calling the players Shite, wanting to Sack the Manager and calling Dr X "RL mk2" after a few bad results.

This Club is broken and the repair job is huge, second only to the even more huge amount of money needed to put it right.

Having said all that, nothing would please me more than Dr X

1) financing the payoffs of the said cancer/scum

2) budgeting enough to bring in the players needed to get us Up (Ch winners if possible).

3) spunking enough to challenge in the PL next season

4) being a major player in PL & CL for years to come

Anyway

back to todays reality

Gaby, Lescott, Richards, Bacuna, Sinclair & Guzan all due back for training after Euro's as it stands.

Good post, and I cant disagree with you. The first questions that are probably asked by Dr X and RDM is how did Villa turn so bad, and how do we undo the damage? Lerner, who I believe was responsible for a lot of the problems, is now gone. Therefore, hopefully we now have an owner who wants to see the club improve on its standings, rather than settle for making up the numbers in the PL.. From RDM's view, he is probably asking WTF were they doing out there? How we have been playing the last few seasons, no other team in the PL played like us. Keep ball, slow build up, and rely on crosses to try and get goals. Unfortunately, we were really bad at this too. We couldn't keep the ball because we would pass it straight to the opposition, we killed off any chance of counter attack, and the crosses were too wayward and the forwards were too scared of doing anything with it. If certain players are lazy, or they don't want to follow instructions, then ship them off. Some so bad, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Villa ever again. We all know who they are, and hopefully RDM agrees too. I do believe we are on the mend. When you get a fresh start and want to improve, you don't get there by repeating the same mistakes that got you in the shit in the first place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AJ said:

.......When you get a fresh start and want to improve, you don't get there by repeating the same mistakes that got you in the shit in the first place.

Lerner never learnt this.

I hope Dr X is aware of what has been going on and does things the way he's had his successes in business bearing in mind why we are in the Ch and how we got there, because more of the same wont get us back

Ah, cheer up you bunch of morbid bed wetters. Come May 2017 we'll be top, Gresford will be England captain and you'll only refer to Big Libor as "The Czech Dixie Dean". 

(I know what you're thinking. Of course I'm pissed. I had to put together a sofa bed tonight.) 

• Like 1

Success in football is pretty simple to me.  We can talk about set-ups, structures, transitions and rebuilding phases but at the end of the day it all boils down to having a squad of good footballers with a very good coaching team - I believe we have the later.  IF we buy enough good players to replace our poor players we can get promoted, I am certain of it.  If we don't we will fall short. We have to mix old and new - it is that mix that will determine our destiny.  If we are still relying on Guzan, Richards, Bacuna, Lescott, Richardson, Hutton, Cissokho, Westwood, Agbonlahor and Gestede to get us promoted we will struggle whoever we buy!   Too many of those players are poor footballers and are not good enough to win us promotion. We have to get rid of as many as we can. We can carry one or two with the right attitude (e.g. Hutton, Cissokho and Westwood) but not too many.  RDM's biggest mistake could be giving some of these players another go - he has to be ruthless and get them out.  If he can do that, while coaxing the likes Okore, Clark, Amavi, Gueye, Veretout, Gil, Grealish, Ayew and Traore to stay I think we can do well if we can find 8-9 'strong' replacements.  In an ideal world something like this:

• Buy a new GK to replace Guzan
  • Buy a couple of 'strong' experienced CBs to replace Richards and Lescott (keep Okore, Clark)
  • Buy a new RB to replace Bacuna (keep Hutton as squad player)
  • Sell Richardson (keep Amavi and Cissokho as a squad player)
  • Buy a couple of 'strong' experienced midfielders (keep Gueye, Veretout, Gil, Grealish, Traore, Westwood, Lyden, Green and Gardner)
  • Buy two proven goalscorers to replace Gabby and Gestede (try to keep Ayew, possibly keep Gestede as squad player)
Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Success in football is pretty simple to me.  We can talk about set-ups, structures, transitions and rebuilding phases but at the end of the day it all boils down to having a squad of good footballers with a very good coaching team - I believe we have the later.  IF we buy enough good players to replace our poor players we can get promoted, I am certain of it.  If we don't we will fall short. We have to mix old and new - it is that mix that will determine our destiny.  If we are still relying on Guzan, Richards, Bacuna, Lescott, Richardson, Hutton, Cissokho, Westwood, Agbonlahor and Gestede to get us promoted we will struggle whoever we buy!   Too many of those players are poor footballers and are not good enough to win us promotion. We have to get rid of as many as we can. We can carry one or two with the right attitude (e.g. Hutton, Cissokho and Westwood) but not too many.  RDM biggest mistake could be giving some of these players another go - he has to be ruthless and get them out.  If he can do that, while coaxing the likes Okore, Clark, Amavi, Gueye, Veretout, Gil, Grealish, Ayew and Traore, to stay I think we can do well if we can find 8-9 'strong' replacements.  In an ideal world something like this:

• Buy a couple of 'strong' experienced CBs to replace Richards and Lescott (keep Okore, Clark)
  • Buy a couple of 'strong' experienced midfielders (keep Gueye, Veretout, Gil, Grealish, Traore, Westwood, Lyden, Green and Garderner)
  • Buy two proven goalscorers to replace Gabby and Gestede (try to keep Ayew, possibly keep Gestede as squad player)

If we can get rid of the bad apples, keep a motivated Okore, Gana, Veretout, Grealish, Ayew then we wont go down with what we've got.

Lose some of the above and we will need to replace them with proven Ch players.

For a push for top 2/6 we need the shite out, and  new GK RB CB R/LW 2x CF that are top level Ch players (30mill at least)

18 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Success in football is pretty simple to me.  We can talk about set-ups, structures, transitions and rebuilding phases but at the end of the day it all boils down to having a squad of good footballers with a very good coaching team - I believe we have the later.  IF we buy enough good players to replace our poor players we can get promoted, I am certain of it.  If we don't we will fall short. We have to mix old and new - it is that mix that will determine our destiny.  If we are still relying on Guzan, Richards, Bacuna, Lescott, Richardson, Hutton, Cissokho, Westwood, Agbonlahor and Gestede to get us promoted we will struggle whoever we buy!   Too many of those players are poor footballers and are not good enough to win us promotion. We have to get rid of as many as we can. We can carry one or two with the right attitude (e.g. Hutton, Cissokho and Westwood) but not too many.  RDM's biggest mistake could be giving some of these players another go - he has to be ruthless and get them out.  If he can do that, while coaxing the likes Okore, Clark, Amavi, Gueye, Veretout, Gil, Grealish, Ayew and Traore to stay I think we can do well if we can find 8-9 'strong' replacements.  In an ideal world something like this:

• Buy a couple of 'strong' experienced midfielders (keep Gueye, Veretout, Gil, Grealish, Traore, Westwood, Lyden, Green and Garderner)

Like although we will be doing very well to sell Richardson for anything considering his contract is up

26 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Titchmarsh?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Richardson's contract has expired anyway i believe?

3 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Richardson's contract has expired anyway i believe?

We should make sure this is in every thread just in case people miss it.

It's guaranteed to cheer everyone up too in the case of them having a bad day!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

• Buy a couple of 'strong' experienced midfielders (keep Gueye, Veretout, Gil, Grealish, Traore, Westwood, Lyden, Green and Gardner)

Thats exactly what the plan should be but unfortunately very unrealistic we wont be able to keep a hold of a host of those players :(

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats exactly what the plan should be but unfortunately very unrealistic we wont be able to keep a hold of a host of those players :(

I am kind of hoping RDM/Clarke and Tony's vision might convince a few more to stick around.  If we can't it will mean mean more change but even then it is not insurmountable as long as we don't lose too many of our better players.  Lets  say we lose Gueye, Ayew and Amavi - those are  players I would love to keep, but lets be honest, none of them are world beaters right now - although they may become that in the future.  If they will not stay we should be able to find decent like-for-like replacements for them with the money generated from their sale. So I would stick to the plan of 8-9 strong replacements for our poorer players whatever happens (relying on proceeds from sales and Tony's investment capital).  I would then add like-for-like replacements IF we lose any of the players we want to keep.  We'll end up with an entirely new squad, and it will require a lot of work in the transfer market making our job that much harder, but it needs doing IMO. What we can't do is lose our better players and just replace them. Guzan, Richards, Bacuna, Lescott and Agbonlahor have to go IMO.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Â