Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Just saying it doesn't make it fact. 

Well if you're hell bent on realism, just ask every other Championship chairman what their chances of promotion are this season with NUFC and AVFC in their league with cash to burn, and potentially two managers who have won the Champions League. I imagine their assessment would be realistic. 

• Like 1

Of all the teams who are realistically fighting for promotion next season we are probably the team with most to do in the summer when it comes to rebuilding.

Hopefully we'll have a new ambitious owner, and a proper manager with the mandate to ship out, keep, and sign the players he want's.

Very difficult but not impossible as it would have been under Lerner.

I can understand why others have low expectations, I just belive we will do better than that given the resources we have and the changes that are afoot.  If we finish low to mid table, not challenging for promotion at all, that would be a dismal season in my eyes. Only time will tell. As we all know, a lot hinges on how we perform in the transfer window - keeping better players, getting the words removed out, buying the right players to strengthen key areas.  We'll have a more 'realistic' idea of what might be in a couple of months i think.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I understand others have low expectations, I just belive we will do better than that given the resources we have and the changes that are afoot. 

The changes are in the pipe line mate but nothing has happened yet and with just 10 weeks until kick off there is just so much to do.

The ownership is in no mans land waiting to be rubber stamp by the football league, no manager, no CEO, a scouting network apparently going to be completely overhauled, a poor squad of players who the new manager may well want to access before making sweeping changes.

I think it would take an expectational manager and support team both in terms of his coaching staff and those above him on the board to turn this club around and get a side on the pitch in under 10 weeks to compete, and over a season compete for promotion. Time will tell but unfortunately I think it may well be too big an ask although I get the impression that may well be the new owners expectation which will put huge pressure on the manager and could lead to a very short spell in charge for the new manager if things don't go well quickly. It is certainly going to be an interesting season.

Edited by markavfc40

Its bad but I dont think its that bad,we were shit in the Prem but I think to get out of the championship we only need 3/4 players.A striker who can score goals a couple of decent defenders and a leader in midfield.Most of the players we already have should be good enough for the championship.Sinclair,Guzan,Hutton,Gestede,etc etc.  

4 hours ago, sne said:

Of all the teams who are realistically fighting for promotion next season we are probably the team with most to do in the summer when it comes to rebuilding.

That actually sounds like what a lot of us said last season and that didnt end well :( 

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's not really up to Tony though is it? He can only control so much, particularly in such a short time period.

The new manager won't have seen the current squad train, he won't know anything about the dressing room, yet were asking him to get one of the worst teams in sports history promoted at the first attempt. 

It won't happen. We, and Dr T, need to be realistic. I'd be fine with mid table. 

If we receive a £30-£40m investment in the squad, and appoint a decent manager, both of which are supposedly on the cards, then mid table would be a massive under-performance. 

If those things don't happen, then of course all bets are off. 

• Like 1

The league has loads of crap in it. Blues were fighting for the play offs until the last couple of months and they're awful. We have decent players who had zero confidence for 2/3 of the season. A lot will depend on who stays and goes but at present there's not many better squads in the league. Get a good manager in and we will be in play offs at least hopefully pushing for top 2. 

• Like 2

Just watched a little bit of the play off final and it got me thinking. Lets say for the sake of arguing that the football gods have guaranteed promotion, how would you like to come up? Automatically or via a day out at Wembley?

Might be a silly question but you don't get any medals for coming 2nd, i like the idea of another trip to Wembley. 

17 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just watched a little bit of the play off final and it got me thinking. Lets say for the sake of arguing that the football gods have guaranteed promotion, how would you like to come up? Automatically or via a day out at Wembley?

Might be a silly question but you don't get any medals for coming 2nd, i like the idea of another trip to Wembley. 

As much as a day out at Wembley would be absolutely awesome, I just want us to get promoted. A day out at Wembley could easily end horribly if we lost.

• Like 2

Can't we just buy the best players from our promotion rivals thus making them weaker and us stronger abit like what Man City did when they wanted to get top4 for the first time.   My knowledge of The Championship is poor so have no idea who we could pick up and how much they would cost but can't be more than £10 million per player?  

Watching this play off final we have nothing to fear if we sign the right players it's hoof ball at its best!  Nice goal there though!

• Like 1

Just now, S-Platt said:

Can't we just buy the best players from our promotion rivals thus making them weaker and us stronger abit like what Man City did when they wanted to get top4 for the first time.   My knowledge of The Championship is poor so have no idea who we could pick up and how much they would cost but can't be more than £10 million per player?  

Watching this play off final we have nothing to fear if we sign the right players it's hoof ball at its best!  Nice goal there though!

Exactly, we need to be aggressive and buy our way to promotion. I think this is Tony's plan - he's desperate to go up year 1. 

Hull promoted, which in glad about. They would have been more of a force next season ahead of Sheff Wednesday. 

Sheff W will be around the play offs but Hull would have title challengers. 

For me Newcastle, Norwich, Brighton and us should be challenging. There's always a surprise package too to throw into the mix. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Don't think I could handle a play off final,  

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Hull promoted, which in glad about. They would have been more of a force next season ahead of Sheff Wednesday. 

Sheff W will be around the play offs but Hull would have title challengers. 

For me Newcastle, Norwich, Brighton and us should be challenging. There's always a surprise package too to throw into the mix. 

Yes, not the result I wanted for personal reasons but probably a better result for Villa. 

Â