Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

On 5/5/2016 at 19:00, Dave J said:

Stevo- do you think we are better than wolves when they went down? I'm not so sure of this and look what happened to them- hope your right mind.

In another thread you called me out for picking an extreme example to make my point.

This is exactly what you've done here.

No I don't think we're better than Wolves were. But that means almost nothing.
It's the same as saying Burnley will win the Premier League in 2 years now that they've been promoted because Leicester did it.

Just because one team did it, doesn't mean every other team will do it.

Derby were the worst team in Premier League history, but they didn't go down to league 1 after relegation.

Edited by Stevo985

30 years ago we went down and we were a shambles, but we were able to get the best young manager in the country and we just about scraped up on the last day of the season. Next season will be much harder as we are even more of a shambles and the competition in the 2nd tier is much tougher than it was. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Moyes

Flores

Hughton

Any of those three as manager and I think we would come up at first attempt. pearson i am 50/50 on

I think Flores would be one hell of a risk.  One season in British football with a club on the up.  Hmmmm...

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

In another thread you called me out for picking an extreme example to make my point.

This is exactly what you've done here.

No I don't think we're better than Wolves were. But that means almost nothing.
It's the same as saying Burnley will win the Premier League in 2 years now that they've been promoted because Leicester did it.

Just because one team did it, doesn't mean every other team will do it.

Derby were the worst team in Premier League history, but they didn't go down to league 1 after relegation.

Stevo really!  Called you out? All I did was to challenge your opinion. Your views are no more or no less relevant than anyone else who posts on here- it's a football forum and no one should expect their comments to be ring fenced. Stevo this is just a bit of fun surely? I for one would not advise anyone to take it too seriously.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Stevo really!  Called you out? All I did was to challenge your opinion. Your views are no more or no less relevant than anyone else who posts on here- it's a football forum and no one should expect their comments to be ring fenced. Stevo this is just a bit of fun surely? I for one would not advise anyone to take it too seriously.

I'm not taking it seriously.

By "Called out" I mean pulled me up or Corrected me.

Nothing malicious.

Let's be realistic about this. Say a deal went through today with new ownership, board members, management, coaching staff and a turnround of 15/20 players.

IMO still minimum of 2 years to rebuild and challenge at the right end of the table. 

• Like 1

Agree with the above points. To be amongst the top end we need to be winning about the the same amount of matches as we have for the last 3-4 seasons. The stink of losing has permeated so much it's not even the quality of the opposition as opposed to just a complete inability to win a football match. The entire mentality of the club needs to be flipped 180. Next season we should be going out to turn over teams. When was the last time we set up to batter a team instead of sitting back and trying to nick a 1-0? It's hard to change from that. 

watching games in last few weeks and the quality is poor but I still think our squad will struggle in the league next season. a good pacey striker is a guaranteed 20 points already

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

Let's be realistic about this. Say a deal went through today with new ownership, board members, management, coaching staff and a turnround of 15/20 players.

IMO still minimum of 2 years to rebuild and challenge at the right end of the table. 

Maybe. It depends on who the manager is, the belief he creates and the quality of players we can afford/draw. If we can assemble a good group of players reasonably quickly, while cutting out the deadwood, with a pre-season together I don't see any reason why they can't hit the ground running.  The biggest problem is overcoming our losing mentality.  To suddenly become a consistently winning side is going to require an almighty turnaround at the club.  That said, I think it momentum plays a big role. Win 5-6 early games and we'll be in with a shout.  Of course the opposite it also true - lose 5-6 early games and it will be an uphill struggle.

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

I agree with this. Teams that are successful - and by that I mean teams that can win matches consistently in any division - have a consistent spine to their team, that is added to and grows over time into a team of players who know each other and the club. That's why teams climb divisions like Leicester and Burton Albion have done, and why Man Utd under Sir Alex had so much success with their golden generation; because they had continuity of playing squad. It's also why we were so bad this season, because we tried to replace half our squad.

So next season, either a large part of our remaining playing squad after the summer is good enough to get promoted with a few additions, or we need to start from almost scratch. I think it's going to be more likely the latter, especially if we lose some of the better players like Ayew and Amavi.

51 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Why do you think that?

Because we are monumentally shit, the whole club is rotten to the core from the very top right down the players on the pitch.

This will not be a quick fix at all, there are already a lot of teams in the championship that are better than us by some way. We need a turnover of about 10 players at least in the first team. I think it will be a long time before we are back in the premier league, i'd be surprised if we were back before the parachute payments stop

Â