Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's a bit of an intangible - was it a factor with relegated clubs like Leeds, Wolves, Sheff Wed. Man City, Sunderland etc. that plummeted down, or were they (as we are) a total piggin' shambles that it'd have made no odds?

Honestly, I can't answer that - mainly because I don't really remember the teams.

In my mind, only Leeds are a "big club" from those teams in the terms we're talking about.  As we all know, they were run (and are still run!) atrociously and financial difficulties have massively screwed them.  From what I can recall, Sheff Wed were in a similar position too?

The others - I think Man City have basically moved upwards in my lifetime.  My overriding memory of them is as a League One club.  Wolves and Sunderland are both well-supported teams that could easily yo-yo between the two leagues.  In fact, isn't that what they've done?

But yes, maybe a mix of teams bringing their A-game plus a bit of not-as-good-as-they-should-be for the supposed big boys. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

we will be the biggest fish in league, all teams will raise their game against us

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

I never denied this.

Well I do deny it. There's been some rubbish on this thread recently. Some people saying we're going to be playing '46 cup finals' or some such drivel. Let's imagine it's February, a wet Tuesday night, we're playing Huddersfield away and they haven't sold out their stadium, we're 12th and they're 13th, is that going to be a 'cup final' for them?

• Like 1

we will be the biggest fish in league, all teams will raise their game against us

But luckily the refs will give us the big team bias, so that'll work in our favour

;)

• Like 2

I still can't believe we've actually been relegated. Missing out on the TV money is catastrophic if we don't find some sugar daddy to save us. Christ Almighty.

I'm not buying into the notion that it's catastrophic. Relegation is obviously bad, and it's definitely worse this year because of the money, but money isn't everything.

The money in the premier league from next year onwards doesn't all of a sudden mean that every year the three promoted teams will go straight back down because they haven't benefitted from the increased money. There are lots of factors in being a good team. Money is just one of them. Teams who survive this year and get the money can still buy bad players, employ bad managers or have terrible runs of form resulting in their relegation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I'm not buying into the notion that it's catastrophic. Relegation is obviously bad, and it's definitely worse this year because of the money, but money isn't everything.

The money in the premier league from next year onwards doesn't all of a sudden mean that every year the three promoted teams will go straight back down because they haven't benefitted from the increased money. There are lots of factors in being a good team. Money is just one of them. Teams who survive this year and get the money can still buy bad players, employ bad managers or have terrible runs of form resulting in their relegation.

Missing out on the TV money would be catastrophic IF we are burdened with Lerner for another year or two. We could drop right down to Division One and really be up against it. So it could* be catastrophic.

Edited by maqroll

I don't think it is. Even if Lerner is still in charge, I don't think we'll drop another division. I think with likely changes made to the squad and an average manager, we'll easily get mid-table with the players at our disposal.

Some people might see that as catastrophic, but it's not, in the grand scheme of things.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I don't think it is. Even if Lerner is still in charge, I don't think we'll drop another division. I think with likely changes made to the squad and an average manager, we'll easily get mid-table with the players at our disposal.

Some people might see that as catastrophic, but it's not, in the grand scheme of things.

This. 

I really don't think we'll drop down another division. I said elsewhere that you have to be really really shit to go down again.

And I don't think we are/will be next season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This. 

I really don't think we'll drop down another division. I said elsewhere that you have to be really really shit to go down again.

Stevo- do you think we are better than wolves when they went down? I'm not so sure of this and look what happened to them- hope your right mind.

21 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Stevo- do you think we are better than wolves when they went down? I'm not so sure of this and look what happened to them- hope your right mind.

That logic doesn't really work. Derby were the worst PL team ever and they didn't go straight down.

Wigan on the other hand only narrowly went down and won the FA Cup to boot yet still went down again.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2016 at 20:48, HanoiVillan said:

Well I do deny it. There's been some rubbish on this thread recently. Some people saying we're going to be playing '46 cup finals' or some such drivel. Let's imagine it's February, a wet Tuesday night, we're playing Huddersfield away and they haven't sold out their stadium, we're 12th and they're 13th, is that going to be a 'cup final' for them?

Yes but I would say it could have a impact on the home form. Most clubs will take the full allocation and be really up for it. Will we be? Our home form is so brittle any half decent effort from a away side could result in yet another mind numbing defeat at Villa Park. Unless a lot changes in a sort space of time.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes but I would say it could have a impact on the home form. Most clubs will take the full allocation and be really up for it. Will we be? Our home form is so brittle any half decent effort from a away side could result in yet another mind numbing defeat at Villa Park. Unless a lot changes in a sort space of time.

I wouldn't place too much weight on our historical home form to be honest  - I think the team will be different and the quality of opposition will be much weaker; tough but not premier league standards. Ultimately It will be up to the team and manager to make VP more of a fortress, rather than a buffet for opposition teams to fill their boots. 

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This. 

Errrrr- 3 wins this season?? 10 wins in the last 70 league games? 7 home wins in nearly 2 seasons? 22 home wins in the last 5 seasons? Having 4 managers in a calender year? Appointing a manager promising to fund player acquisitions and then not backing him when we were facing our first relegation in nearly 30 years?

Appointing and sacking the C.E.O in less than 18 months? Getting a highly respected football man on the board only for him to leave in disgust in barely 6 weeks? The fact that we have been up for sale for nearly 2 years and have not been sold? Our worst home defeat for over 75 years? Our joint worse consecutive defeats in league football since 1888? And in all probability that will be smashed on Saturday? And the fact the last time we lost 11 was due to a fixture pile up due to the winter of 1963? 

The fact we have become a byword for a footballing joke? That Lerner has made Ellis look like a good owner?  

That we are nowhere close to a new manager or takeover any time soon? 

Why then is not getting relegated again a real possibility?

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Errrrr- 3 wins this season?? 10 wins in the last 70 league games? 7 home wins in nearly 2 seasons? 22 home wins in the last 5 seasons? Having 4 managers in a calender year? Appointing a manager promising to fund player acquisitions and then not backing him when we were facing our first relegation in nearly 30 years?

Appointing and sacking the C.E.O in less than 18 months? Getting a highly respected football man on the board only for him to leave in disgust in barely 6 weeks? The fact that we have been up for sale for nearly 2 years and have not been sold? Our worst home defeat for over 75 years? Our joint worse consecutive defeats in league football since 1888? And in all probability that will be smashed on Saturday? And the fact the last time we lost 11 was due to a fixture pile up due to the winter of 1963? 

The fact we have become a byword for a footballing joke? That Lerner has made Ellis look like a good owner?  

That we are nowhere close to a new manager or takeover any time soon? 

Why then is not getting relegated again a real possibility?

This is the reality of it all

then add

board RL Krulak & SH

no manager

shit players

running at a loss

even less budget

prize scalp for EVERY championship side

ATM we have

GK Guzan/Bunn

RB Richards/Hutton/Bacuna

CBR Richards/Okore

CBL Lescott/Clark/Baker

LB Cissokho/Amavi(inj)

DMF Gana/Sanchez

CMF Westwood/Vertout

AMF Sinclair/Grealish/Gil/Ayew

CF Gaby/Gestede/Kozak

League 1 is not too far away

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

This is the reality of it all

then add

board RL Krulak & SH

no manager

shit players

running at a loss

even less budget

prize scalp for EVERY championship side

ATM we have

GK Guzan/Bunn

RB Richards/Hutton/Bacuna

CBR Richards/Okore

CBL Lescott/Clark/Baker

LB Cissokho/Amavi(inj)

DMF Gana/Sanchez

CMF Westwood/Vertout

AMF Sinclair/Grealish/Gil/Ayew

CF Gaby/Gestede/Kozak

League 1 is not too far away

But thats how we are now, in 8 weeks time could be completely different. i wont hit the panic stations just yet. people are over thinking things in a negative way. In my mind there is no way it could be worse than this shower of shit season with a bunch of losers, a embarrassment to a Villa side. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

But thats how we are now, in 8 weeks time could be completely different. i wont hit the panic stations just yet. people are over thinking things in a negative way. In my mind there is no way it could be worse than this shower of shit season with a bunch of losers, a embarrassment to a Villa side. 

Its not negative thinking though is it?

its the Status Quo at the moment.

For things to happen, things must change. The closest we got to change was DB/MK who walked out because they couldnt make the changes needed.

What makes you think RL wont F**k up the sale?

What makes you think he will try to replace DB/MK like for like?

What makes you think that anyone else except chancers would take a position  1) on the board 2) as manager 3) Good Championship players?

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Its not negative thinking though is it?

its the Status Quo at the moment.

For things to happen, things must change. The closest we got to change was DB/MK who walked out because they couldnt make the changes needed.

What makes you think RL wont F**k up the sale?

What makes you think he will try to replace DB/MK like for like?

What makes you think that anyone else except chancers would take a position  1) on the board 2) as manager 3) Good Championship players?

Exactly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

it really can and will get worse, we are heading into biggest pre-season in clubs history with no manager, a chairman who doesnt give a **** and probably stuck with a bunch of highly paid clearings in the woods who sent us down

• Like 2

Just as an aside I think any reference to the word Championship should be banned. I have decided to call it the Aston Villa founded football league 

• Like 1

Â