Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think you missed the part I quoted. It wasn't about next season.

But it's Off Topic so happy to leave it.

Oh I see. I was talking solely in the context of Promotion 16/17. 

I think to finish mid table next season we need a manager in quick sharp and 5/6 solid (not filler) additions to the squad. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah, exactly. Just like Chris Long is part of the Championship winning squad this season.

If we can find a Gray and a Vokes then sure. 

That's two players we are down on Burnley already IMO. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If we can find a Gray and a Vokes then sure. 

That's two players we are down on Burnley already IMO. 

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well.

Let's leave it there.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well.

Let's leave it there.

We're talking about the squad. I've stated it's **** dire. You have stated it doesn't need as much work as I think. 

Then we started talking about Robinson (and players like him, Green etc). I'm agreeing that as 3rd/4th choice (like Chris Long, who I didn't know existed until today) then yes I'm sure he will be serviceable. In that comparison we need 2/3 players to fill in ahead of him and that's just at striker position. Otherwise we're relying on these youngsters. Which brings me neatly back to my first point - I think we need 10 new players to challenge for promotion.

If you just don't want to debate with me that's fine. I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the management delay is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Whats so hard asking the group in takeover talks who they want? Whether its Pearson or whoever. Lets hope behind the scenes its been done and the new manager has seen who he wnats to get rid of. Dont fancy him just making his decisions based on dvds on games. He wont know what they are like in training or anything like that. That is my concern. 

My guess is that 2 different parties are still in the frame.

One of the buyers wants Pearson, the other buyer wants Di Matteo/someone else. 

So the manager can't be appointed until its decided which party is buying Villa.

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

My guess is that 2 different parties are still in the frame.

One of the buyers wants Pearson, the other buyer wants Di Matteo/someone else. 

So the manager can't be appointed until its decided which party is buying Villa.

This isn't based on anything more than a hunch, but I always got the impression that Pearson was the choice of the club if no new owners came in.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Too much to do, not enough time to do it, wasted opportunity to start the preparation early . No way will we be promoted next season 

we are already about 6 weeks and counting behind teams at the moment in terms of preparation  

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're talking about the squad. I've stated it's **** dire. You have stated it doesn't need as much work as I think. 

Then we started talking about Robinson (and players like him, Green etc). I'm agreeing that as 3rd/4th choice (like Chris Long, who I didn't know existed until today) then yes I'm sure he will be serviceable. In that comparison we need 2/3 players to fill in ahead of him and that's just at striker position. Otherwise we're relying on these youngsters. Which brings me neatly back to my first point - I think we need 10 new players to challenge for promotion.

If you just don't want to debate with me that's fine. I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it. 

Bloody Hell, calm down. I thought you were on holiday.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bloody Hell, calm down. I thought you were on holiday.

Huh?

I'm replying to your post on an internet forum in a perfectly calm manner! 

Edit - from my phone on a beach, admittedly! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I have been watching the promotion play-offs.Can anyone tell me if away goals count double ?

Might be handy to know if we get that far next season, as well.

They dont anymore

With this talk of needing 10-15 signings, I'm dipping into Football Manager mode for a moment.

Goalkeepers:

Steer - keep

Bunn - keep

Guzan - sell

Defenders:

Clark - keep

Baker - keep

Toner - keep

Amavi - keep

Bennett - keep

Hutton - keep

Okore - sell

Richards - sell

Lescott - sell

Cissokho - sell

Bacuna - sell

Midfielders:

Westwood - keep

Gardner - keep

Veretout - keep

Lyden - keep

Gana - sell

Richardson - sell

Wingers/Strikers:

Gestede - keep

Grealish - keep

Green - keep

Gil - keep

Hepburn-Murphy - keep

Robinson - keep

Ayew - sell

Traore - sell

N'Zogbia - release

Sinclair - sell

Gabby - sell

Kozak - sell

In this list, I feel that I'm being quite ruthless by even getting rid of some of the players who probably could do a job for us in the Championship even though some we'd rather see the back of (Okore, Gabby, Sinclair, Traore, Kozak etc).

If the above list came true, then I would say that we'd need a first choice goalkeeper, two centre-backs, a central midfielder, a winger and a striker.

That's 6 new players, combined with a fairly realistic retained set of players from this season, forming a decent (and in my opinion, promotion challenging) squad. Baring in mind that we will have some funds available from the sales of players, plus you'd hope the money that we didn't spend in January.

I don't have a good enough knowledge of other teams' players to make great suggestions, but if we brought in (for example) Tom Heaton, Lewis Dunk, Michael Dawson, Charlie Adam, Jonathon Walters and Nakhi Wells, I think we'd have a team good enough to challenge for a top 5 position.

We bought the filler last season, good players, but not enough on their own, if we can get the core this season (1st choice GK, DF, MF, ST) there's no reason to think we can't come straight back up. That's 4 players on top of replacing whoever leaves. Add in 2 or 3 squad options if we have the resources for them and we should be OK. It's all about getting the 4 core players right. Experienced and good quality (even if just Championship quality) and they will raise the level of the rest of the team naturally. As shit as they've all been this season some of our players are decent and with some experience and quality around them they should improve

• Like 2

If we could keep 2 from 3 of Grealish, Gana and Ayew I'd be pleased. It would be something to work with, they are our most talented players, attitude questionable though. I think Lyden could do a job at RB, nobody will take a punt on amavi been out so long which is good for us. Green should get game time. Westwood, Bacuna, Cisshoko to name a few not good enough, need replacing. Remember though, there is a discernible difference between the premier league and championship. Bamford tore the championship asunder last year, couldn't make a dent in the premier league this year-he's a talent though. Grealish will do well, granted he stops fannying around and puts in a shift too.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I mentioned him as being part of the squad.

People are talking like we need to buy an entire squad. We don't.

I think we do, really.  Most sides in the Championship (and certainly those challenging at the top) are heavy on rotation - Burnley actually fairly light in this respect, to be fair - and having a squad that can contribute on a regular basis is a huge thing.

Let's take Brighton and Middlesbrough as examples.  2nd and 3rd in the league, yet in each team only one player has scored double figures this season (Rhodes for Boro - 10 of his 16 goals actually came for Blackburn - and Hemed for Brighton with 17).  The rest of their goals have come from heavily-rotated players who are able to chip in.

Boro - Nugent (8), Stuani (7), Ramirez (7), Adomah (6) etc.

Brighton - Zamora (7), Dale Stephens(!) (7), Murphy (6), Wilson (5), Knockaert (5) etc.

Callum Robinson, and no disrespect to him as he may well come good (after all, Daniel Johnson has top scored for Preston this season with 8 goals from midfield), has scored 2 goals this season.  If we're not seeing a huge squad overhaul, you need about 5 Callum Robinson-type players to chip in with at least 5 goals each next season - and that's assuming Gestede scores somewhere around 15-20 goals.

Being part of a squad is fine, but we really do need a lot of recruitment to take place (unless, of course, the majority of this squad stays together).

• Like 1

We're close to being ready for a serious push for promotion next year. Just lacking new owner, new manager, new backroom staff and the bulk of a brand new first team. Other than that we're in a very strong position.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

This isn't based on anything more than a hunch, but I always got the impression that Pearson was the choice of the club if no new owners came in.

Don't know rumour was Lerner has previously said 'over my dead body' to previous links with Pearson [per Pat Murphy] - and he would seem out of step with any other manager Lerner has appointed. RDM seems much more of a Lerner man to me. 

Things are very interesting now that we have been sold, we are the hot topic on football forums amongst Championship clubs because they're not sure what to expect from us now..  The first step has been made, now we have several more before Pre season.  I think we are going to be very aggressive in the transfer market however that does not always result in success.

This is the best chance the club has in scrapping everything that is bad at this club and creating something new that is sustainable. I look at a Southampton & Swansea and they have a philosophy that is the blueprint of their infrastructure, which is what AVFC need. We currently lack an identity, i only hope that we are now able to build a real footballing identity.  As much as i want promotion next season, i feel like if we throw tons of money into the market we could become a yoyo club.   

Next season will be tough, i would be happy with a top 6 finish with signs of real progress at the very least.

Rome wasn't built in a day..

Â