Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

I can't see us coming back up any time soon

The squad is a joke and it needs major surgery

Even after we get rid of the wastemen such as gabby and lescott were still left with the shitters not good enough that need to go as well

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

It seems to be received wisdom that we need to throw out virtually our entire first team and bulid a new one before next season. 

IMO, doing that very thing this time last year was the major reason we got relegated. It takes time to integrate players, even when you introduce them one at a time into a settled eleven. When you suddenly get nine or ten total strangers on the pitch, it's a recipe for disaster. 

I actually think that many of those signings were decent players. Put any one of them into a top half side, and they would probably develop into something. But we had too many inexperienced players all at once, and they simply didn't have the nous to cope with a relegation battle. They got demoralised, and ended up looking like whipped dogs. We won't able to put a new team together between now and August, without the same thing happening.

So, whether the fans like it or not, the new manager - whoever he is - must work with and motivate the core of players we have now. Of course, some will have to go, and two or three experienced signings will be absolutely key. But talk of root-and-branch makeover is naïve, and potentially disastrous. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

So, whether the fans like it or not, the new manager - whoever he is - must work with and motivate the core of players we have now.

That is quite possibly the worst thing we could do.

We actually do need a revamp, players will leave naturally, players will come in naturally.

Watford for example have had plenty of changes last summer and were on the face of it fine, the problem isn't the amount of changes the problem is and always has been with us the recruitment and manager.

Past few seasons we have had no plan and it has shown. I know what you mean but honestly this actually requires a whole revamp from top to bottom.

Can you honestly say we have a core we can build on? What is our core?

• Like 2

I have no idea who would be in the 'core' - that's up to the next manager to decide. But there is no way we can throw the lot out and start all over in less than three months without suffering a similar fate to this season. 

Did the team fail because individual players played badly? Or did individuals play badly because the team was failing? I think it was more the latter than the former. 

• Like 1

The two other teams relegated had double our points total. There's no chance we will be anywhere near promotion unless massive changes are made. 

This team has more chance of relegation again than of coming straight back up.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have no idea who would be in the 'core' - that's up to the next manager to decide. But there is no way we can throw the lot out and start all over in less than three months without suffering a similar fate to this season. 

Did the team fail because individual players played badly? Or did individuals play badly because the team was failing? I think it was more the latter than the former. 

Unfortunately it seems to be both. Get rid.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I don't think we need a huge revolution in playing staff.

Unfortunately though, that's based on some key players staying.

I think if we kept players like Gana, Ayea, gestede, Westwood, Veretout, Adama, Gil and Amavi and added 6 or 7 good Championship players (mainly a defence and keeper) then we'd be in good shape next season.

But we may lose some/all of those players.

Having just watched Newcastle on MOTD, they seemed to play a blinder against Spurs. Begs the question why they hadn't played that way previously. 

If they can keep Rafa they'll be a force next season, hopefully it'll be us up there with them.

10 hours ago, Kingman said:

13177320_10209760057901337_7508969366591620379_n.jpg

Well if there are fans out there who don't yet think Villa fans are clearings in the woods, they will after seeing that.

Â