Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

56 minutes ago, Richard said:

I know fans of a few clubs in the championship and one soon to be in the championship and I can tell you that when talking about next season all I am seeing is them saying that they are playing Villa.  It is a huge scalp for them,  no pressure on them.  pressure on us every game. 

In addition there will be many many midlands derbies.

Derby

sha

dingles

Nottingham Forest

Burton

Walsall

A quarter of our games potential Derbies with the added pressure of those clubs definitely wanting to beat us.

What I'm like reading this argument:

XFHosN.gif

What I'm trying to be like:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Championship Season starts August 7th - in just over 13 weeks.

Before this time we need to:

Get a new owner.

Get a manager + staff

Offload some players.

Buy some players.

Have a good pre-season - starting in 7 weeks, assuming we want a 6 week pre-season. (Who's arranging this btw?  Usually we know where we are going to be based by now). 

I predict a slow start due to the amount of changes that need to happen.  If we can stay in touch up to Christmas we will be in with a shout.  What I think will happen is that the predicted slow start will result in pressure, hostility and it will make things harder.  New players will be written off too early, and old players will be reminded of this season.

Glad i've just re-newed my ST!  UTV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Just like Newcastle were when they won the league straight after going down - getting over 100 points in the process.  Being a scalp doesn't mean shit.

I think it does, especially if we can't cope with it. 

2016/17 Championship Specials

Aston Villa to win Championship 10/1

Aston Villa to be promoted 3/1

Aston Villa to be relegated 20/1

Aston Villa to finish in Top 6 4/5

Aston Villa to finish in Top Half 1/7

Aston Villa to finish in Bottom Half 9/2

Who Will Finish Higher

Aston Villa 2/7 Birmingham City 5/2 

General prices are with B265

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, philgetaway said:

Get a new owner.

Get a manager + staff

Offload some players.

Buy some players.

Have a good pre-season - starting in 7 weeks, assuming we want a 6 week pre-season. (Who's arranging this btw?  Usually we know where we are going to be based by now). 

I predict a slow start due to the amount of changes that need to happen.  If we can stay in touch up to Christmas we will be in with a shout.  What I think will happen is that the predicted slow start will result in pressure, hostility and it will make things harder.  New players will be written off too early, and old players will be reminded of this season.

as you put it like that, we're screwed, its rather quite depressing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I think it does, especially if we can't cope with it. 

That's the point that has got lost in the rush to say its nonsense.

We WILL be a big scalp,that is clear as day, but whether it ends up working for or against us is impossible to predict.  It could  - with the wrong players, such as those we are all familiar with - be absolutely catastrophic.  Imagine this lot and their collective surrender mentality ?

But with a few changes (I don't think the whole lot need to go, maybe 6/8) and the right calibre of player (in terms of those qualities we sorely miss, such as leadership, spirit, desire, and some idea of how to play football as a Team game) then what you could call the Keegan effect at Newcastle could work FOR us, with Villa Park becoming a hot bed of fervent singing and support, a place where teams fear to tread, building an unstoppable momentum that will carry us up and onward to the heights of the Premier League in 2 years time.........................................

Ok, perhaps that's hoping for too much, but it certainly could go either way.  As we all know really, the key is whether Mr L goes.  With him here, it wont matter what else changes, we will be sunk.

1 hour ago, philgetaway said:

Get a new owner.

Get a manager + staff

Offload some players.

Buy some players.

I've got an atlas and a bit of time spare next week, do you think I should pop along and suggest a few things ?.............................to, erm,.........................dunno, have we sacked the coach driver ?

I think if we start slow we will drop like a stone, as you pretty much outline in the next but one sentence. Can you imagine VP if we aren't winning pretty much every home game ?   Terrifying thought.

Edited by terrytini

1 minute ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I give it until the end of September before this thread is replaced with a new relegation thread.

Yeah, after our first defeat of the season. ;)

4 hours ago, Richard said:

I know fans of a few clubs in the championship and one soon to be in the championship and I can tell you that when talking about next season all I am seeing is them saying that they are playing Villa.  It is a huge scalp for them,  no pressure on them.  pressure on us every game. 

In addition there will be many many midlands derbies.

Derby

sha

dingles

Nottingham Forest

Burton

Walsall

A quarter of our games potential Derbies with the added pressure of those clubs definitely wanting to beat us.

I actually look forward to this. It's better than everyone expecting us to be whipping boys like in premier league. It's nice that everyone knows we are the mighty aston villa and they want a piece of us. Refreshing I say, bring it on. 

4 hours ago, philgetaway said:

Get a new owner.

Get a manager + staff

Offload some players.

Buy some players.

I think this is really difficult to predict to be honest with you- if the current squad remained unchanged I fear flirtation with relegation, however I am not expecting the squad to remain unchanged so I guess it's hard to try and predict without knowing who's in - who's out

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

2016/17 Championship Specials

Aston Villa to win Championship 10/1

Aston Villa to be promoted 3/1

Aston Villa to be relegated 20/1

Aston Villa to finish in Top 6 4/5

Aston Villa to finish in Top Half 1/7

Aston Villa to finish in Bottom Half 9/2

Who Will Finish Higher

Aston Villa 2/7 Birmingham City 5/2 

General prices are with B265

I think I'll look up the 5000-1 option and have a cheeky £10 on it.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually look forward to this. It's better than everyone expecting us to be whipping boys like in premier league. It's nice that everyone knows we are the mighty aston villa and they want a piece of us. Refreshing I say, bring it on. 

I would say that if we have any sort of plan, any sort of manager, and any sort of committed owner.

Sadly we don't.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Here's a question. Do you actually want the club to get promoted ?

if yes why?

if no why not ?

Yes.

Because I support Aston Villa.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

if yes why?

if no why not ?

Yes. Winning games is fun.

If we rebuild and win a shit load of games in the Championship it will give us momentum for the Premier League. Something we've not had since MON walked out the door. 

15 hours ago, philgetaway said:

This is what worries me as well. Last summer's pre-season was a joke, as we ended the season with a new manager, who managed to cobble together a training camp in Portugal and a couple of non discript friendlies. Whether that was down to the club being in limbo waiting to be sold and nobody sorted anything, or whether that was down to an inexperienced manager I do not know. What I do know is that We were badly prepared for the start of the season, and we never really turned it around from there. The manager (First Sherwood, then Garde), were complaining about the level of fitness in his squad at the start of the season, and that comes down to the terribly arranged pre-season last summer in my eyes.

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

if yes why?

if no why not ?

Of course. Surely as a supporter of Aston Villa you would want them to be competing at the very top, winning every game they take part in. (I know the idea of winning games has become alien to us...)

What makes you ask such a question? Why would anyone NOT want it to happen? 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

if yes why?

if no why not ?

Why are you even asking this question on a Villa forum?

Â