The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I know papers are shit, but do they normally all pick up on a random link started by one paper and then repeat it like this?  Maybe someone's had a little word in someone's ear...

But, nah it's bollocks, I'm 99% sure of it

I think they do. 

It's an easy story to get quick clicks and reads. 

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I know papers are shit, but do they normally all pick up on a random link started by one paper and then repeat it like this?  Maybe someone's had a little word in someone's ear...

But, nah it's bollocks, I'm 99% sure of it

Yeah thats what im surprised  about.  Why are other news outlets jumping on it based off the Sun.

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Yeah thats what im surprised  about.  Why are other news outlets jumping on it based off the Sun.

Very rarely do papers print stories about football without someone they know from the club or an agent giving them information. A lot of the time, it's a bloke from the club making something up or an agent making up interest in a player to generate further interest

I would imagine people are jumping on the Sun's story becuase they are aware the Sun have a reliable link.

15 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

People 1.1m vs 520k (Birmingham is second only to London)

Canals 35 miles vs however many Manchester has. Debate it if you want. (Birmingham has more than Venice)

Michelin starred restaurants 5 vs 0 (Birmingham has more than any UK city outside London)

GDP $121bn vs $92bn

Parks 571 vs 135 (Birmingham has more than any other city in Europe)

Dry days 123 vs 100

Pre-Raphaelite art (Birmingham has the largest collection of Pre-Raphaelite art in the world)

Motorway connections 4 vs 2

Universities 5 vs 3

Schools 434 vs c.200 (Birmingham is the largest Local Education Authority in the country)

"Preeminent" collections of literature (Birmingham Library has 6 of 8 collections nationally designated preeminent)

So yeah debatable, but a debate that someone armed with these facts would win.

One other thing to throw out there is that with all the canals and motorways there's likely also a hell of a lot of bridges too.  Never know what you'll find living underneath them.  A word of warning for any local billy goats.

This is spot on, I have lived and worked in Manchester for the last 35 years and it is not a patch on Brum, you could fit M'cester inside Brum and rattle it. The restaurants are all franchises overpriced and not a decent one to be had. The pubs are disappearing and those that are left sell overpriced fairy liquid. The transport system is a joke they are ripping up all the streets to put in trams diving the cars out but also inflating the price of the parking meters. What M'cester do better than Brum is PR

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Good example of how football "journalism" works. Somebody picks up a rumour or makes up a story and publishes it. Then everyone else copies it.

This is true, There's a rumour going round in our local that I've got a 12" Knob... 

Mind you, I did start it! :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ClarrieBlue said:

This is spot on, I have lived and worked in Manchester for the last 35 years and it is not a patch on Brum, you could fit M'cester inside Brum and rattle it. The restaurants are all franchises overpriced and not a decent one to be had. The pubs are disappearing and those that are left sell overpriced fairy liquid. The transport system is a joke they are ripping up all the streets to put in trams diving the cars out but also inflating the price of the parking meters. What M'cester do better than Brum is PR

One of the reasons that Birmingham isn't seen as a party town, like Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle and Manchester, is because of its size. It's big enough to have many districts within the city and surrounding areas, that have their own centres  - Moseley, Harborne, Sutton, Solihull, Selly Oak, etc.

This means that there are options other than the city centre for residents, which can often make the city centre seem pretty quiet - especially during the week. I was back in Birmingham recently staying on Broad Street and it was dead on a Wednesday night.

Places like Newcastle have nothing but their city centre, which means that's it's always busy, giving it that atmosphere for a good night out. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Good example of how football "journalism" works. Somebody picks up a rumour or makes up a story and publishes it. Then everyone else copies it.

The story was probably copied from the Wang speculation in this very thread.

• Like 1