The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

59 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Someone said to me yesterday that Birmingham was shit because they'd been to the Selfridges and it wasn't as good as London's. Sick of hearing people put Birmingham down. Typical Midlands attitude to not be proud of where we're from.

Just because you had a good night out on a one off trip to Leeds instead of your usual trip to Arcadian every weekend doesn't mean Leeds is amazing and Birmingham is shit. Get to know the city better and stop perpetuating this bullshit myth that it's terrible - it's just like any other, really rough parts, really lovely parts, ugly buildings, pretty buildings, awful chain clubs and interesting pubs, soulless shopping centres, long standing and brand new independent stores, arts, parks, history etc etc etc.

If we could bomb Bordesley it would be the greatest city in the UK.

I thought somebody already had ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Sad that the most fun we've gotten out the club for a while now is speculating about everything that happens OFF the field. 

Just give us a decent owner and a decent manager to manage decent players so we can gain promotion and chip away at that division too. 

I have no idea if this "sale" is legit, I'm inclined to think it's bullshit, just cuz.

But I hope I'm wrong.

P.S. I don't want another "5 Year Plan", I want a new Villa philosophy that champions youth development, winning and integrity, and can last 500 years.

5 years !!!!

I'd be ecstatic with a plan that lasted more than 5 minutes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

People 1.1m vs 520k (Birmingham is second only to London)

Canals 35 miles vs however many Manchester has. Debate it if you want. (Birmingham has more than Venice)

Michelin starred restaurants 5 vs 0 (Birmingham has more than any UK city outside London)

GDP $121bn vs $92bn

Parks 571 vs 135 (Birmingham has more than any other city in Europe)

Dry days 123 vs 100

Pre-Raphaelite art (Birmingham has the largest collection of Pre-Raphaelite art in the world)

Motorway connections 4 vs 2

Universities 5 vs 3

Schools 434 vs c.200 (Birmingham is the largest Local Education Authority in the country)

"Preeminent" collections of literature (Birmingham Library has 6 of 8 collections nationally designated preeminent)

So yeah debatable, but a debate that someone armed with these facts would win.

One other thing to throw out there is that with all the canals and motorways there's likely also a hell of a lot of bridges too.  Never know what you'll find living underneath them.  A word of warning for any local billy goats.

PPPPPPZZZZAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Facts taste good!! mmmmmmmmmm

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Dry days 123 vs 100

Seems there are lots of piss heads in both cities, i have at least 3 days off PW.

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Parks 571 vs 135 (Birmingham has more than any other city in Europe)

The majority of those are filled with the aforementioned piss heads. 

:trollface:

3 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Think this thread sums up how much we've all been stung in the past. We're all like yeah yeah another takeover.

and even when they do happen we get Randy Lerner who eventually got us relegated.

I sometimes think if we got Ronaldo and Messi on free transfers because they were big fans of the club... we would win the first 3 games then they would collide into each other and rupture every bone in their bodies.. forcing us to replace them with Gabby and Sinclair upfront. 

Edited by KSV

Reading King's letter at the time it seemed that he was resigning to help a sale go through. Like a few others, I'm guessing that one of the sticking points in an ongoing takeover is that the new owners bring their own board in and Lerner wouldn't accept that. They both seemed to refer to a recent email from Lerner which made their positions untenable. That would have to be something pretty big which undermines them such as something along the lines of 'They wanted to bring their own board in, and as Mervyn and David haven't been here long, I've cancelled the sale.'

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Like a few others, I'm guessing that one of the sticking points in an ongoing takeover is that the new owners bring their own board in and Lerner wouldn't accept that.

Why would Lerner care what a buyer's board might look like, especially now?

27 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Reading King's letter at the time it seemed that he was resigning to help a sale go through. Like a few others, I'm guessing that one of the sticking points in an ongoing takeover is that the new owners bring their own board in and Lerner wouldn't accept that. They both seemed to refer to a recent email from Lerner which made their positions untenable. That would have to be something pretty big which undermines them such as something along the lines of 'They wanted to bring their own board in, and as Mervyn and David haven't been here long, I've cancelled the sale.'

Nope. Merv & Bernie had an email chat about Randy. Someone leaked it to him and he didn't like what they said.  Randy sends Mervyn and Bernie massive slagging off email. They do one. 

Has been on the news. Takeover is completely unrelated. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm guessing that one of the sticking points in an ongoing takeover is that the new owners bring their own board in and Lerner wouldn't accept that.

When you sell your company you don't get to tell the new owners who their board should be. Remember the infamous Doug Ellis "You'll work for me" quote? Needless to say our president emeritus didn't get his way.

Edited by villa89

36 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Nope. Merv & Bernie had an email chat about Randy. Someone leaked it to him and he didn't like what they said.  Randy sends Mervyn and Bernie massive slagging off email. They do one. 

Has been on the news. Takeover is completely unrelated. 

I hope it started like this:

Hey Merv..

Hey Bernie....

but I bet it was Riley who leaked it. Meant to be on good terms with Randy, he is the mole.

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Even cynical and negative about the city of Birmingham :D

Fascinating.

Already said brum is my fave city Stefan. Pages back. 

Keep up fella.

However, that's not to say it's a more attractive city for investors to buy a football team, which is now what the debate is about. Again, keep up. Try not to make every post a delusional evaluation of me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Can you link please?

The Beeb

The departure of David Bernstein and Lord King from the Aston Villa board was triggered by a bitter fall-out with the club's owner Randy Lerner.

Bernstein and King wrote to Villa chairman Steve Hollis on Monday, tendering their resignations with immediate effect.

It can now be revealed that their decisions were the result of a highly unpleasant exchange with Lerner.

After joining Villa in March and February respectively, Bernstein and King grew increasingly frustrated at the lack of progress they were able to make.

This came to a head when email communication between the pair, which included criticism of Lerner, was leaked to the US businessman.

Lerner responded with an email of his own that featured a stinging rebuke to Bernstein and King, which they felt left their positions untenable.

The incident was hinted at in King's resignation letter, which he started by telling Hollis: "You will be aware of recent communications between the owner of Aston Villa and members of the Football Board.

"Following these, I am sure you will understand that it is with real sorrow that I am writing to tender my resignation as a director of Aston Villa Football Club Ltd with immediate effect.

"I do not take this course of action lightly. As a supporter for over 55 years, how could I?"

Bernstein and King were stunned by the content and tone of Lerner's email - especially lifelong Villa fan King, given he has known the American since his takeover in 2006.

Despite their dissatisfaction, it is likely Bernstein and King would have stayed at Villa until Lerner had fulfilled his aim of selling the club. But the hostile interaction created a rift that could not be repaired.

King, a former Governor of the Bank of England, added: "It is no longer possible to carry out the role that I was asked to perform. When you [Hollis], David Bernstein and I were asked join the board, we were able to make a start. But progress has stalled."

Bernstein's resignation letter said: "I was invited on to the board to oversee a much needed review of the football side of the club including all aspects of operations at Bodymoor Heath.

"Following this I was to lead the implementation of this review and the ongoing management of football at Aston Villa. To this end a football board was created consisting of four people with considerable football and relevant experience. For this new structure to work it required all at the club to accept new disciplines, clear reporting lines and to adhere to the authority delegated to the new football board.

"Unfortunately it has proved impossible to implement the agreed structure and my position has quickly become untenable. The issues at the club are fundamental and the solutions are radical and do not lend themselves to compromise"

It is understood that Bernstein and King came into Villa expecting a far greater level of authority and autonomy than they ultimately received.  

Their initial communication with Lerner was positive, but that changed when they set about implementing their plans and it is not clear whether the owner was ever fully aware of the exact brief agreed between them and Hollis.

The newly formed football board - comprising Bernstein, King, former Villa player and manager Brian Little and ex-Football Association executive Adrian Bevington - never actually held a meeting or discussion as a group.

Little, who arrived on the same day as former FA and Manchester City chairman Bernstein, remains in his role as an advisor to the board.

Bevington is thought to be deliberating over whether to continue his work with the club, who were relegated from the Premier League with defeat at Manchester United last Saturday.

Before Bernstein and King left, they presented Hollis with a shortlist of candidates to succeed Remi Garde as manager following his sacking on 29 March.

That consisted of four names, as well as two back-up options.

Villa say the managerial search "remains a priority", while Hollis is "currently engaged in extensive negotiations in relation to the sale of the club".

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sne said:

Sure we can all keep dreaming of Mr Right, but being a football version of a non talented Shane MacGovan on crack means Kate Beckinsale won't be knocking at the door.

We have Lerner now, who is close to as bad as you can get. Sure it's easy to find owners who have been even worse, but where do you think we'll be in 5 years under Lerner?

It's absolutely not dangerous at all as I have no say what so ever in who the new owner will be.

So with that on mind I'll settle for MR Right now

edit: This should not be confused into thinking I don't have preferences or will be more or less happy with potential new owner, just that I think we are over as an elite club if Lerner is here much longer

My point is if we're just happy to get anyone but Lerner, then we could very easily end up with someone only very slightly better. Which in reality is still not enough to save us.

Let's say Lerner is a 1/10 owner. With this "anyone but Lerner" thinking, if a 2/10 owner comes along then boom we sell.
Is that really what we should be doing? Or should we be striving for a 6 or 7 or better?