Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

2 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I've never been one calling for a load of players coming in. As you say Traore and Amavi are like new signings, I think if RDM can screw Grealish's head on he can be one of the best midfielders in the league. However a striker is imperative, and I think we'd be in so much trouble without a cm with some balls who'll run himself into the ground. Even though I'm not calling for a mass cull of our crap players, I think people like Gabby HAVE to go, as much as I'd love to see him turn it around. Players need to see that people with his attitude will not be tolerated any more.

Tony himself has said we are after the right kind of players, so I'm not panicking.  Sadly the players most of us think would be of some use to us like Veretout and Gil are most likely to be of use to others and therefore may be out the door quicker than the turds we desperately want to get rid of.  It's also only just gone halfway through July, the fact that the window closes so long after the season starts is ridiculous and makes things a lot more difficult, but that's out of our control.  I just hope Amavi and Adama are fit enough to start the season as they could provide the X factor creatively we need even if we don't quite get the strikers in time.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Tony himself has said we are after the right kind of players, so I'm not panicking.  Sadly the players most of us think would be of some use to us like Veretout and Gil are most likely to be of use to others and therefore may be out the door quicker than the turds we desperately want to get rid of.  It's also only just gone halfway through July, the fact that the window closes so long after the season starts is ridiculous and makes things a lot more difficult, but that's out of our control.  I just hope Amavi and Adama are fit enough to start the season as they could provide the X factor creatively we need even if we don't quite get the strikers in time.

I could live with getting a couple of players in by the end of the window, even if I'd rather we didn't have to play four or five games without them. But yes, Amavi and Traore starting would be amazing. It would be a breath of fresh air seeing players of ours taking the ball towards the opponents goal rather than turning around and passing it back to ours.

Amavi and Adama? Liverpool are sniffing around Amavi and I think it would be odds against Adama being here next season as well.

There goes our "two new signings" .

I have to say I'm disappointed so far especially when you look at what Newcastle have been doing. We've signed two cast-offs who didn't play any games for their teams last season plus a relegated goal keeper.

GREAT. 

• Like 2

Having seen the few preseason games im more convined that we need at least 6 more in.

Im not expecting that to happen before the season starts or even really before the window closes.

What is clear to me is that if we dont get those 6 before the window closes i dont believe there is enough quality in the squad to compete for a playoff place.

As we stand i think we are only just good enough to avoid relegation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Holtern8 said:

Amavi and Adama? Liverpool are sniffing around Amavi and I think it would be odds against Adama being here next season as well.

There goes our "two new signings" .

I have to say I'm disappointed so far especially when you look at what Newcastle have been doing. We've signed two cast-offs who didn't play any games for their teams last season plus a relegated goal keeper.

GREAT. 

Elphick played 12 games and would have played more had he not been injured and Tshibola was also injured. Hardly cast-offs!

8 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Elphick played 12 games and would have played more had he not been injured and Tshibola was also injured. Hardly cast-offs!

Doesn't sound very reassuring, eh?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Needed knocking down and rebuilding according to RDM.  He's not even hired the JCB yet

I took that as the club overall needed knocking down and rebuilding... 

If we say the new owner and board are the new foundations, and the new manager and coaching staff are the walls and roof, then we really just need new fixtures and fitting (players). 

Yes, it may not appear that we have done a lot on the player front and we all want new players in and old ones out, but I think sometimes it's easy to overlook how much has changed at the club in a short period of time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

What are Newcastle doing?

not fixing the defence that's been shit for about 5 years, realising their 2 starting CBs and buying grant Hanley...selling wijnaldum, sissoko, cisse and Townsend and buying gayle and ritchie, the only thing they've really strengthened so far potentially is the keeper and he's an unknown you've just got to automatically assume he's better than the shit they had

dwight gayle has played 63 league games in his 3 years at palace scoring 15 goals, struggled to get in the team ahead of adebayor (1 in 7) wickham (5 in 21) chamakh (7 in 59) and Frazier Campbell (0 in 11) don't know where this status on here comes from, decent player not much more, mitrovic will be the one there next season

they were in a stronger position than us following relegation, they aren't in a as strong position now IMO

Love this post, everyone's blowing smoke up Newcastle's bottom, whereas for me, they are going to be considerably weaker by the time the season starts. 

Do I think Villa can finish above Newcastle as the squads stand at the moment, absolutely! 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The manager. He has a level of access to the squad that I don't. 

I'm aware of when the season starts and I'm aware of when the window closes. I have thought since the end of last season that no matter what happens with ownership or who comes in as manager one summer will not be long enough to perform the required amount of surgery to get this team promoted. I'm pretty sure you said the same? So why the concern now?

Things can turn around fast though and we could easily see 4 players leave and couple come in during the space of a few days. That's the nature of transfer windows, it doesn't matter what I want. I'm sure RDM would love to get all his ins and outs completed tonight but it just isn't that simple and I refuse to get het up about it. 

Dave I'm not worried about promotion next season , as far as I am concerned it's not on. I've felt like that for a while. I am worried about how we progress as a club and we do need to move away from last season and make a fresh start as soon as possible . Starting the season with virtually the same team (save one or two) is a worry for me and a retrograde step. It is , Imo, vitally important we start anew. Not for next season but for future seasons 

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What are Newcastle doing?

not fixing the defence that's been shit for about 5 years, realising their 2 starting CBs and buying grant Hanley...selling wijnaldum, sissoko, cisse and Townsend and buying gayle and ritchie, the only thing they've really strengthened so far potentially is the keeper and he's an unknown you've just got to automatically assume he's better than the shit they had

dwight gayle has played 63 league games in his 3 years at palace scoring 15 goals, struggled to get in the team ahead of adebayor (1 in 7) wickham (5 in 21) chamakh (7 in 59) and Frazier Campbell (0 in 11) don't know where this status on here comes from, decent player not much more, mitrovic will be the one there next season

they were in a stronger position than us following relegation, they aren't in a as strong position now IMO

They got Benitez to stay.  Worth two or three quality players in its own right.

• Like 1

As things currently stand I might start with:

Gollini, Hutton, Elphick, Okore, Amavi, Tshibola, Gueye, Gardner, Grealish, Traore & Ayew. 

I would look at say Steer, Lyden, Toner/Suliman, Green, Westwood, Gestede & Kozak for places on the bench. 

I guess a couple of these might go and a few more that I have not named are likely to go as well. Others would need to show a significant change in their attitude to even get near the bench for me.

So we really need a striker now to play alongside Ayew or two of them if we cannot hold onto Ayew. More signings would be nice and much needed I would think we might add a minimum of 3 loans from clubs who have young players to spare and loan them out in numbers. Lets get it done!    

• Like 2

We've been waiting for the club to sign a striker since nearly this time last year. 

I'll feel much better about this season when we know where the majority of goals are coming from. I know this is RDMs priority now, but I'd love someone Who'll get us properly excited!

8 hours ago, 1958Villan said:

There is so little happening at Villa that the papers are recycling old news.

Romain Saiss, the Angers Moroccan DM refusing to talk to us about a move, last January.

A £5m bid going in for Jonathan Kodjia, even though Bristol City have made it clear they have received no bids.

Liverpool interested in signing Jordan Amavi.

Villa have a new owner.

Still they do say the darkest hour is just before dawn. How stupid a saying is that? Like anyone would expect the darkest hour to be mid morning.

This one sounded like a signal calling me . . .

It's trivially true that it's darkest in the middle of the night, and that the sky is significantly lighter just before dawn. As you say, it's a really really dumb expression. 

Must admit I am a bit disappointed. I think our midfield still needs plenty of work. They might be good players but can't say I see this as a promotion midfield. Tshibola is a good prospect but expecting him to play 40+ games at a consistently good level for promotion next season is madness. Upfront we lack goals and not sure I can take another season with Hutton at right back. It's ok saying trust RDM and his team but I'm still not convinced by our transfer business so far. I expected more signings or atleast more bids in for players. Ross McCormack going Norwich is pretty disappointing too if that happens IMO. I'm not saying they are bad players but in order to achieve promotion we need a much stronger squad in my opinion. 

• Like 4