Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I would imagine we are waiting to see what sort of outgoings there might be - ie how many big salaries we can shift - before spending heavily. I agree that a striker is essential, but I suspect there are a number of options of varying expense and we'll have to see what we end up with.

I agree that it's not very exciting but with hardly anyone out of the door I'm not surprised we are keeping out powder dry for a bit - the squad (and presumably wage bill) are massive. 

8 minutes ago, Folski said:

I think Tsh plays a bit higher up the field to be honest, he's a proper MC but expect him to be bombing forward as opposed to holding.

He'll have us waxing lyrical, no doubt.

He'll sell out the stands, you'll get ya tickets from a tout!

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 3

I did say we didn't have anything close..although out of habit I keep refreshing to see if there's a suprise signing Happening!

I've been told there is clear interest in kodja but no bid made, but as stated before the staff really are trying to trim the squad.

But it's difficult when they played worse than a pub team last year and people aren't interested.

I would be suprised if Ayew is at Villa come the end of the transfer window, talk is the player himself doesn't want to be here, it'll come down to di matteo and Tony.

(please stay!!!)

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I want a right back, a midfield general and a striker, plus whatever miscellany RDM feels he needs to pad it all out.

This  -  except I think Tish is the 'General' ;  IMO we need a proper creative guy in there but gawd knows who.

I don't usually try predictions (as much for getting annihilated as anything else) but how's this ?.............

We probably have a Team, which I imagine, from the friendlies, is (with alternatives if some leave) Gollini, New Right Back, Okore, Elphick, Amavi (or Bennett), Tish, Gana (or Westwood),

New Midfielder, Grealish, Ayew, Striker.

With back ups of Hutton (yes I know but we cant shift all of them !), Baker, Lyden, Cissokko, Gardner, Gestede, RHM, Green, Adama,  and probably two or three (unfortunately, but would be better than keeping all of them !) out of Bacuna, Richards, Gabby, Lescott, Sinclair, Sanchez, Kozak.

With goalies that makes 26/27.  Must be about that I would think ?

I

It was always going to happen though wasn't it?  The players we want to keep will be picked up and the players we don't will remain.  There's no way we will get promoted if we go into this season with a group of players who know they aren't wanted but being forced to play. 

I genuinely think we will struggle next season,  not get relegated struggle but we may struggle for the playoffs unless major changes are made,  and with 2 weeks till the season starts it's looking unlikely.  

On holiday so left my phone in the room all day. Came back hoping to see at least a hint of a new transfer. So disappointing this is, we might need to start scouting players for RDM ourselves. And thanks for all the concern about my toe everyone, things are looking up :thumb:

Martin O'Neill used to leave it really late into the window before making his moves. Everybody used to panic then too, it never really seemed to make a blind bit of difference. The sky never fell. 

I'd rather they took the correct amount of time and got it right, first time. I'm not even remotely worried. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Martin O'Neill used to leave it really late into the window before making his moves. Everybody used to panic then too, it never really seemed to make a blind bit of difference. The sky never fell. 

I'd rather they took the correct amount of time and got it right, first time. I'm not even remotely worried. 

tumblr_n4ib4k287E1r09qfio4_r1_250.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I would like to say I'm not worried, I guess I'm not (yet). But I'm a little anxious due to the lack of links to players. Things usually leak out and I know most of it is just bull but it indicates that things are going on. My only real worry is that we won't be signing anybody until we ship some out, in which case I don't think we'll be signing anybody.

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

MON's dealings were a different time and a different set of circumstances,  season started later for one,  not major surgery required for another.

Also,  when you say "the correct amount of time" who's to say which amount is correct.  I think the issue Dave is we are two weeks away from the start of a very important season for Aston Villa and not much has changed on the playing staff,  a playing staff that was one of the worst in our history last season

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

MON's dealings were a different time and a different set of circumstances,  season started later for one,  not major surgery required for another.

Also,  when you say "the correct amount of time" who's to say which amount is correct.  I think the issue Dave is we are two weeks away from the start of a very important season for Aston Villa and not much has changed on the playing staff,  a playing staff that was one of the worst in our history last season

The manager. He has a level of access to the squad that I don't. 

I'm aware of when the season starts and I'm aware of when the window closes. I have thought since the end of last season that no matter what happens with ownership or who comes in as manager one summer will not be long enough to perform the required amount of surgery to get this team promoted. I'm pretty sure you said the same? So why the concern now?

Things can turn around fast though and we could easily see 4 players leave and couple come in during the space of a few days. That's the nature of transfer windows, it doesn't matter what I want. I'm sure RDM would love to get all his ins and outs completed tonight but it just isn't that simple and I refuse to get het up about it. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Last season showed that replacing a load of shit players quickly comes with its own risks. The signing of a new Gk and Cb is going to have a big impact on us. Amavi is like a new signing and is probably the best lb in the league. Adama is like a new signing and has the potential to be top class at this level. Grealish is not going to be like last year and has potential to be the best player in the league. We know Gardner can perform well at this level and then we have a couple of youth team players that could play bit parts. 

The picture is not complete but my opinion on how desperate we are for lots of new players has softened recently. 

Pretty much where I'm at to be honest.

(Who would have thought those words would have been written eh DCJ :D )

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Would you buy any of our shit? No so it's not as easy as "not much has changed" we have signed 3 new players and have likely a couple more incoming. Yes in an ideal world the owner would just buy out everyone we don't want, but it's not an ideal world. As long as we strengthen the playing squad and the subs bench then we may have to live with having some of the shit around not playing. I think RDM underestimated just how little other teams give a shit about many of our players.

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Last season showed that replacing a load of shit players quickly comes with its own risks. The signing of a new Gk and Cb is going to have a big impact on us. Amavi is like a new signing and is probably the best lb in the league. Adama is like a new signing and has the potential to be top class at this level. Grealish is not going to be like last year and has potential to be the best player in the league. We know Gardner can perform well at this level and then we have a couple of youth team players that could play bit parts. 

The picture is not complete but my opinion on how desperate we are for lots of new players has softened recently. 

I've never been one calling for a load of players coming in. As you say Traore and Amavi are like new signings, I think if RDM can screw Grealish's head on he can be one of the best midfielders in the league. However a striker is imperative, and I think we'd be in so much trouble without a cm with some balls who'll run himself into the ground. Even though I'm not calling for a mass cull of our crap players, I think people like Gabby HAVE to go, as much as I'd love to see him turn it around. Players need to see that people with his attitude will not be tolerated any more.

Edited by 7392craig

I suppose the one concern about leaving it late is the scheduling. We are no longer in the prem where teams usually only play 2-3 games in august so by the time the transfer window closes at the end of august we will have played 5 league games already and 11% of the season will be gone.