New manager

KJT123

Newsnow is a completely depressing read for Villa fans atm, steer clear.

First the bombshell that Redknapp has ruled himself out followed up by news that Gus is choosing AEK despite being on the Villa short list.

McGrath help us!

Depressing? I read that and thought it was Christmas!!!!

Oh I don't know. I'm still holding on to the hope that they form a 'super band' style management team with Dwight and Pearson.

Ok so let me get this straight: We are looking for a manager with prem experience, good knowledge of tactics, speaks a few languages and preferably a big name to attract decent players.

Ruud Gullit anyone?

Good lord Gullit?! *reaches for revolver and last bullet*

• Like 4

Ok so let me get this straight: We are looking for a HALF DECIENT manager with prem experience, good knowledge of tactics, speaks a few languages and preferably a big name to attract decent players.

Ruud Gullit anyone?

Corrected for you mate.

• Like 1

The term 'Premier League experience', is ambiguous and I won't use it again.

Because in context, I said we need Moyes, because or his experience.

What I really mean is we need Moyes' proven track record of (relative) success. Much like fat Sam, I'm 99% sure he would come in and keep us in the league.

I'm not against Garde, indeed, I find the prospect interesting. But I do think he represents more of a risk than Moyes. Moyes has proven he can do it, in similar circumstances and over a prolonged period.

Both are good options, but if I had a choice, I'd take Moyes because I'd be confident that he would keep us up and progress us.

I also realise that Moyes may not be an optional, because he may not want the job.

I'd be more than happy to take the risk on Garde than recruit a middling failure like Poyet or Pearson.

Exactly. Experience yes, particularly of the situation we find ourselves in, would be useful (though as Sherwood proved not vital). Premier League experience I believe to be irrelevant in 2015. It's not like the days of even Ramos, where they are used to a particular way if life, a more laid back approach to training and a more blood and thunder approach to Saturday 3pm.

On Laudrup, I think he's a bit of a myth. I'd go as far as to say a fraud. I'd be astonished if a club of our size were remotely interested in him. Faulkner has gone, so has Randy for all intents and purposes.

Ok so let me get this straight: We are looking for a manager with prem experience, good knowledge of tactics, speaks a few languages and preferably a big name to attract decent players.

Ruud Gullit anyone?

Hahaha good old Ruud, I remember when he dropped Shearer when he was in charge at Newcastle. That was brilliant :lol:

Basically, people are continuing to confuse "premier league experience" with "PROVEN premier league experience"

Merely having managed in the premier league is not (necessarily) an advantage.
Having had proven success in the premier league absolutely is an advantage. 

That advantage, however, is not vital in a new appointment.

• Like 2

Newsnow is a completely depressing read for Villa fans atm, steer clear.

First the bombshell that Redknapp has ruled himself out followed up by news that Gus is choosing AEK despite being on the Villa short list.

McGrath help us!

One mans depressing is another mans repressing.  Pressing.  

A good thing.

It's quite nice not having loads of leaks to the media.

When we hired Tim Sherwood, I remember it being known days before it happened and it was just a matter of the club confirming it. Now, it's nice that we seem to have a shortlist at least and are approaching a few people.

I hope we're all happy with the end result.

Few papers reporting we're lining up Christophe Galtier (St. Etienne) as a backup for Garde.

Can't access the Sun article but referenced here - http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/28/report-aston-villa-targeting-christophe-galtier-as-potential-she/

Having brought in a host of new signings from French football over the summer, a manager from France appears to be a priority for Villa, and The Sun believe that Villa's latest target is Christophe Galtier.

The 49-year-old, who previously worked in the Premier League as an assistant manager at Portsmouth, has earned a strong reputation during his time in charge of Ligue 1 outfit Saint-Etienne, having helped develop the likes of Blaise Matuidi, Dimitri Payet, Bakary Sako, Kevin Mirallas, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Kurt Zouma and Max Gradel during his time with the club.

A return to English football could now be on the cards for Galtier, but Villa would have to pay compensation to lure him to Villa Park - a huge factor given that Garde is a free agent.

Either way, it seems that Villa are once again looking to France for help, with both of their top managerial targets having thrived in Ligue 1.

They will just link us with any French managers as Garde is obviously on the list. I think as Trent said previously, what happened was the story of Garde broke so quick that it was actually quicker in the press than actual reality. I think weekend is most likely when we'll be looking to appoint someone.

yep, we're going french because its a benefit to the 5 players in the squad we have that speak french, the other 40 odd players we have on our books apparently dont matter...

You couldn't make it up could you..........

yep, we're going french because its a benefit to the 5 players in the squad we have that speak french, the other 40 odd players we have on our books apparently dont matter...

As long as he's fluent in English, who cares?

If he doesn't speak English, your bolded point has merit. Otherwise it's nonsense.

• Like 1