New manager

KJT123

I think Almstadt is calling the shots

If a former Arsenal employee who has a background in the commercial sector is calling the shots then we are totally ****. He shouln't even be a our sporting director let alone calling the shots

That's Collymore spouting nonsense - Almstad's clearly fit for purpose otherwise Fox wouldn't have put him there. You don't hand out jobs to your unqualified mates when your own position is on the line.

If a former Arsenal employee who has a background in the commercial sector is calling the shots then we are totally ****. He shouln't even be a our sporting director let alone calling the shots

That's Collymore spouting nonsense - Almstad's clearly fit for purpose otherwise Fox wouldn't have put him there. You don't hand out jobs to your unqualified mates when your own position is on the line.

No it isnt, he worked in the commercial department at Arsenal and was keen on data analysis so moved into player stats analysis. Arsenal used his stats analysis to sign 1 player which was Gabriel Paulista then he left Arsenal and is now our Sporting Director.

At Arsenal, Wenger has absolute control though and will generally go via his personal scouts. It doesn't mean Almstadt's recommendations were not up to scratch. As with Collymore, the argument against this guy hinges on him not being a 'football man'. Nobody is privy to the job he is actually doing. 

• Like 2

It does feel like amongst the hierarchy that the man they consider their 'football' man is Almstadt - it was highlighted that he and Sherwood were not speaking and soon after Tim goes - it just felt like they were waiting for the grounds on which to dismiss Tim.

No it isnt, he worked in the commercial department at Arsenal and was keen on data analysis so moved into player stats analysis. Arsenal used his stats analysis to sign 1 player which was Gabriel Paulista then he left Arsenal and is now our Sporting Director.

That amount of information doesn't tell you how good he is at his job. The fact that he's from a commercial background is irrelevant. If he's so unqualified for the position why would a club like Arsenal let him anywhere near their recruitment policy let alone signing players. Was he sacked from his role at Arsenal?

(BTW who's quoting who is all over the show here)

from what i heard about laudrup....is that hes a pretty terrible coach/manager.

Name/connections is a slight pull but we dont need him to bring in players soooo

Didn't Laudrup get sacked from Swansea for cancelling training after a defeat to take a two day jolly to Paris? Not the kind of commitment we need from our manager at the moment. Would love an Arsene Wenger / Gary Monk workaholic type who will put the hours in until this mess is sorted out.

Our CEO and Sporting Director are ex-Arsenal, players we've just recruited were at some point on Arsenal's list, and now we are targeting a manager touted as the natural successor to Wenger. I'd be quite happy with us being the aston gooners...

The term 'Premier League experience', is ambiguous and I won't use it again.

Because in context, I said we need Moyes, because or his experience.

What I really mean is we need Moyes' proven track record of (relative) success. Much like fat Sam, I'm 99% sure he would come in and keep us in the league.

I'm not against Garde, indeed, I find the prospect interesting. But I do think he represents more of a risk than Moyes. Moyes has proven he can do it, in similar circumstances and over a prolonged period.

Both are good options, but if I had a choice, I'd take Moyes because I'd be confident that he would keep us up and progress us.

I also realise that Moyes may not be an optional, because he may not want the job.

I'd be more than happy to take the risk on Garde than recruit a middling failure like Poyet or Pearson.

This perfectly sums up my opinion too.

I think given the choice between Moyes and Garde, I'd choose the former for safety.

But I'm happy with either to be honest. Garde is more exciting, but also more risky.

Newsnow is a completely depressing read for Villa fans atm, steer clear.

First the bombshell that Redknapp has ruled himself out followed up by news that Gus is choosing AEK despite being on the Villa short list.

McGrath help us!

• Like 1

I wonder if the any new manager will be stuck with the present fitness coaches? They have been brought in by Our upper management just like the transfer committee.

There's plenty of unanswered question's , Sherwood would know but his  2m pay off would stop any answer being given. Tom Fox needs to be asked these questions but none of the media seem interested in getting to the bottom of our problems. Maybe a leak to the press would help .