New manager

KJT123

Didn't Laudrup not want to take training one day because it was raining? And didn't he swan off abroad a couple of times mid-season, leaving his coaches to take training? There's also been murmurings of him being a bit of a snake, moaning if he doesn't get his own way etc.

No thanks. He won a cup with Swansea, but I see him as a similar manager to Rodgers, in that he'd need a pre-season with a team to drill in a philosophy and decide which players he likes. I suppose Remi Garde would require some time too, but I thought I read that he took over Lyon in a similar lowly position (but I might be wrong on that).

There is a huge difference between a gamble and a calculated risk. Perhaps there is something to be said for Premier League experience after all in that it is quantifiable against the risk, if that makes sense (it does in my head). Though there are a whole multitude of risks associated with appointing a manager, of which that is one that ONLY helps to make that calculation easier.

• Like 3

Just adding that even if we had somehow managed to get top 4 in one of the seasons, it would very likely have been a one-off with the meigabucks City threw at it. Also, Lerner didn't become a terrible decision-maker in 2011 - he's been just as bad from the begining, we just didn't know it at the time. 

Progress doesn't just have to be defined by achieving or sustaining CL football though and  I agree it would have been exceptionally difficult for anyone to take us on to those things. But someone could have progressed the club, the scouting, the player recruitment so we didn't continue spunking obscene amounts of cash on average English players I an approach that was never going to be sustainable. But anyway that's the past.

I agree entirely. I think all the eggs were put into one basket and all the effort put into assembling a squad for the here and now with little fore thought to the future. Had there have been a couple more Ash Youngs, Downings and Milner type signings during O’Neills time things could have panned out over the long term very differently. The subsequent sale of those three players covered the whole of O’Neills net spend. Trouble is as you suggest our net stretched no further than English based players.

I think this is why going for someone a bit more left field like Garde is so attractive isn’t it. We may get that long term vision. The only reservation I have about someone like him is, given the dire situation we are in, can he have the required impact on the here and now that I believe Moyes could definitely have. It seems we may be about to find out.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Neil - great little debate by the way. Really making me think even if it isn't necessarily changing my mind. Cheers!

lol, it isn't my point to try to change your mind...I find that near impossible with anyone.  It's just my point to make sure my own point is articulated properly and understood, whether you agree of course is an entirely different matter :)

BTW, "There is a huge difference between a gamble and a calculated risk. Perhaps there is something to be said for Premier League experience after all in that it is quantifiable against the risk, if that makes sense (it does in my head)." - yes it does make sense to me as well.

• Like 1

Didn't Laudrup not want to take training one day because it was raining? And didn't he swan off abroad a couple of times mid-season, leaving his coaches to take training? There's also been murmurings of him being a bit of a snake, moaning if he doesn't get his own way etc.

No thanks. He won a cup with Swansea, but I see him as a similar manager to Rodgers, in that he'd need a pre-season with a team to drill in a philosophy and decide which players he likes. I suppose Remi Garde would require some time too, but I thought I read that he took over Lyon in a similar lowly position (but I might be wrong on that).

Not sure about the raining thing but he didnt really take training and left it to the coaches which is exactly what MON did. Laudrup did bugger off with his wife a couple of times and go on holiday which didnt go down too well especially after they lost on the weekend then he buggered off for 3 days :D

I think there is a fair bit of baggage with Laudrup which puts me off, it's why he didn't last at Swansea and neither did his results.

I don't know about any of the baggage, often this stuff is open to speculation too much and you never know the truth.

But results wise, he took an unlikely team from the championship and cemented them well in the prem.  His last days were not good, and there was a lot of speculation...and the fact it lead to a sacking is always dubious.  Relationship breakdowns often lead to results breaking down as well, and the end of his tenure is too small a sample and from what I understand he's gone on to do well with his next team...

Of course there is another like him, and adds fuel to dougs argument....one Paul Lambert (danger will robinson, danger).

I don't know about any of the baggage, often this stuff is open to speculation too much and you never know the truth.

We do know the truth. It's common knowledge amongst football journo's that Laudrup once cancelled training because he flew over to Paris to visit his daughter and this wasn't his only "misdemeanour". He's unbelievably arrogant and isn't a good manager.

Garde at the match tonight please with a subsequent annoucement that he has signed a three year deal.

I think there is a fair bit of baggage with Laudrup which puts me off, it's why he didn't last at Swansea and neither did his results.

But results wise, he took an unlikely team from the championship and cemented them well in the prem.  His last days were not good, and there was a lot of speculation...and the fact it lead to a sacking is always dubious.  Relationship breakdowns often lead to results breaking down as well, and the end of his tenure is too small a sample and from what I understand he's gone on to do well with his next team...

Of course there is another like him, and adds fuel to dougs argument....one Paul Lambert (danger will robinson, danger).

He didn't get them promoted.

Laudrup doesn't tend to last very long. He did do a very good job of carrying on after Rogers had left though to be fair.

Swansea seem to be the model Fox is trying to emulate where manager/player departures don't completely rock the ship. New personnel seem to slot into the exsisiting structure.

Oh he didn't, I always thought he was in charge for their promotion.

Oh he didn't, I always thought he was in charge for their promotion.

No mate it was Rodgers.

Laudrup wouldn't be great - I think he got found out at Swansea.  Initially did well on the back of Rodgers' foundations, but never pushed on.

Re Premier league experience -  one think that makes me really keen on Garde is that he has experience of the league from playing here for 3 years and although it was a while back, the speed and physicality won't be a surprise to him.  He's also been commentating on the league for Canal+ during his sabbatical from managing so I'm sure has seen more games than most of us.

I've got a feeling in my bones today is the day

Probably would've been done and dusted already if it wasn't for the complications regarding the backroom staff.

If he is at the game today it might be an indication of how far down everything is, my guess is he won't be there though.

Think this will drag on a bit longer but hope it is sorted soon. Really hope we don't walk away at the first sign of struggle with the backroom staff. If they feel he is the one they must do whatever is possible to get it done which I believe they will.

I remember he swaned off to Paris mid week after a bad defeat.  He gave the players the two days off which pissed off the board somewhat.  

He (Laudrup) also still has a bit of a dodgy legal case going with Ajax over player signings. More than a whiff of aul Arry off him to be honest.