Rudy Gestede

midian

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not sure why so many are keen to keep him in the Championship. He has been poor for us, just not clinical enough. If we don't have crossers in the side, regardless of the division, there's no point in keeping him.

I agree he hasn't been clinical enough and missed a glaring chance today. However in the Championship you'd expect us to get more chances at goal against poorer defences. We might as well keep him because who would buy him for a reasonable price based on what we paid? If he has a season like he did at Blackburn we'll be fine at that level. 

Pointless signing championship player at best and is one of the reasons we will be playing championship football this season

Sell Benteke then think Gabby and Gestede will be enough to lead the line?

Laughable

34 minutes ago, chappy said:

He didn't miss that chance intentionally. I like him and think we'd be foolish to get rid of him before going into the championship.

Really? I think it would be foolish for Gestede to be here longer than one day after the window opens in the summer. Ghastly.

54 minutes ago, chappy said:

He didn't miss that chance intentionally. I like him and think we'd be foolish to get rid of him before going into the championship.

Not really, it totally depends on how we play next season. Gestede, without wingers crossing into the box will be pretty much useless in any division. He's at his best receiving crosses onto his head and picking up scraps in the box with his feet, for that he needs a regular supply, and thus for that our style will have to change, because under Garde we do not look to cross the ball often and in fact do not look to commit many bodies into the box when in the final third.

He is a target man of the bygone age , at championship level with some decent wingers he will score some headers so he might be useless there but in the Prem league is is useless as a starter.His first touch is abysmal ,so he can't hold up the ball well enough to bring others into play and he has zero pace or movement so you can't play balls in behind the opposition defence.

His is a cheaper , taller version of Darren Bent you need to put everything on a plate for him and outside the box you might as well be playing with 10 men

Part of the problem is even when we do get crosses in like today, he is the only striker in the box and always crowded out by any defence.

It isn't that hard to defend against one striker (well except if you're our defence).

But Gabby, Ayew even Traore are not strikers in the traditional sense. We are comically easy to defend against and have a comedy defence to go with that. 

His only use is off the bench,  I can't think of 1 decent performance from him when he has started a match, maybe Liverpool away but I remember thinking he was shite before he scored. I can think of several games he has done well in when coming on as sub and he works well as a battering ram against tired defenses.  I'd happily see him sold but can see him being kept due to his record for Blackburn in the championship. 

i still dont get this "with wingers he'll score" "in the championship he'll score"

every time he plays he misses chances, yesterday when lescott hit the post, thats from a gestede header thats going 3ft wide, he missed a hattrick of chances yesterday, 2 of them were sitters

and then you throw in his work rate, offers nothing to our midfield when we have the ball, jogs round a bit whilst the opposition have the ball

ive never known a big man who is supposedly good in the air be so bad at reading the flight of a football, constantly under jumps the ball

Â