Rudy Gestede

midian

Somebody described him as 'chaos theory' and I can see the point. 

His football is ugly as all hell but I have more faith in him to bumble the ball into the net than - say - any single one of our midfielders. 

• Like 1

Of our current squad, he's one of the few I would actually keep. Despite him being bang average in the Prem, down there he could be a great asset if used correctly.

If Garde goes (which is likely), we should just get a manager who will set up to put crosses on his head. But actually bring in some wingers who can cross it.

32 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Tim sherwood? :detect:

If rumours are to be believed he wanted to sign Andros Townsend and Aaron Lennon in the summer to presumably provide service to the cart horse. I'd hazard a guess we had a transfer policy similar to Liverpool's under Brendan Rogers where if the manager gets one player the transfer commitee get one of their players and its a tit for tat that leaves you with a mangled squad that doesn't have any style or suitable formation. 

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If rumours are to be believed he wanted to sign Andros Townsend and Aaron Lennon in the summer to presumably provide service to the cart horse. I'd hazard a guess we had a transfer policy similar to Liverpool's under Brendan Rogers where if the manager gets one player the transfer commitee get one of their players and its a tit for tat that leaves you with a mangled squad that doesn't have any style or suitable formation. 

Those two, especially Lennon, would have been much better than what we ended up with. 

• Like 1

I remain baffled as to why, when so much of what we do is worthless, we haven't tried a simple two proper wide men + Gestede ........flawed and outdated though ut us, I cant see it being less effective than anything else we've tried.  And I know crossing isn't high on our list of good points (what is ?) but a concerted effort of 20 or so a game should yield more than our attacking efforts usually do.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Those two, especially Lennon, would have been much better than what we ended up with. 

Well there can be no doubt they would have enabled a particular pattern of forward play.....and how much do we miss that ?

Let me say right from the bat that I don't rate any of the players very high, but.

Barring injuries, our best chance to do anything for the rest of the season I would play Gestede up front, flanked by Ayew and Adama (sinclair).

Behind them i would have Gana and Sanchez as DCM's and Veretout or Gil in a free more creative role linking midfield and attack

Our defense would still be crap as our goalkeeping, but as we're already down it matters not.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well there can be no doubt they would have enabled a particular pattern of forward play.....and how much do we miss that ?

One possible issue is that Lennon + Townsend would have cost £20m in transfer fees and presuambly would have wanted the same 65K a week that Gabby gets. I doubt we signed any player who's on over 35K a week.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villa89 said:

One possible issue is that Lennon + Townsend would have cost £20m in transfer fees and presuambly would have wanted the same 65K a week that Gabby gets. I doubt we signed any player who's on over 35K a week.

And now we're bottom of the league

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I have no doubt that what you say is entirely correct.  However, what does it say about football when it costs all that to get a guy who can cross a ball !

I can't be the only fan who wonders sometimes whether the difference between those of us who watch, and those who play, is largely luck !

Seriously though, is there nobody in the lower Leagues who has little brain, little movement, doesn't work for the team (thus fitting our player profile) yet could cross a ball that a tall man could head ?  Not surprised we are in such a mess if "cross for tall man to head" is beyond us lol.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I remain baffled as to why, when so much of what we do is worthless, we haven't tried a simple two proper wide men + Gestede ........flawed and outdated though ut us, I cant see it being less effective than anything else we've tried.  And I know crossing isn't high on our list of good points (what is ?) but a concerted effort of 20 or so a game should yield more than our attacking efforts usually do.

I agree. An outdated MON style 4-4-2 would at least make us more competitive. Don't let the full backs past the half way line and play someone on the right and left of midfield who can cross the ball to Gestede. Maybe Bacuna on the right and someone from the youth team on the left who has no fear? play 4-5-1 away from home. 

• Like 1

I just hate how one dimensional this guy is. He looks so bad with the ball at his feet. No first touch, can't pass if it's more than 5 yards, and has zero movement off the ball. Yea if we are going to just pump in 50+ crosses a match he needs to start, but if we attempt to play any type of passing game, he can't be in the team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Yup, crazy. 
It's been the culture of the club for years, clearly Sherwood was trying to change that (or it's all he knew) but look at the nature of Albrighton's leaving, he himself has said the club wanted to play narrow. 
No good mid table team plays narrow, and very few teams in Europe do. 

We bought Gestede and panic bought Traore who never played. No other wing players exist and a whole host of central or round peg/square hole players came in. We also play opposite foot wingers to cut inside.
Narrow with Gestede, wide with Gabby....jesus tap dancing christ! 

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 1

Well I thought he had a good game yesterday, took his goal well and put himself about. Particularly liked the slide tackle he did to win back possession after he made a mistake. Earned his place for the upcoming matches. 

• Like 1

He's one of the few  players I would like to keep for next season. We know his limitations but given the right service he will score plenty of goals in the championship. Be stupid to move him on.

Â