Rudy Gestede

midian

He's not great. Not really a long term solution to our striker problem. But at least he was there to miss those chances, Gabby, I guarantee, would have been either spectating 30 yards back, or slowly waddling forward. 

• Like 2

He was clearly bought just in case we slid into the Championship. He's proven there, has a good scoring record, and now people want to get rid of him?

What we need to do for next season is buy a proper winger or two who will pump crosses to his head.

Edited by Phumfeinz

40 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

He was clearly bought just in case we slid into the Championship. He's proven there, has a good scoring record, and now people want to get rid of him?

What we need to do for next season is buy a proper winger or two who will pump crosses to his head.

I can guarantee that he wasn't bought for that reason.  We wanted to replace Benteke so went with someone who scored lots of headed goals, but whoever scouted him (I believe this was a Tim signing) must have missed that every other aspect of his game is abysmal and that Prem central defenders won't be bullied as easily.  Also, as part of a general transfer strategy where we bought no ready-made wingers to cross to him, it was a disaster and sums up our shitness.

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

It's only a couple of times a game but we have crossed to him, he has had free headers, he's missed sitters on his head, can think of one vs arsenal where he completely underjumped the ball and didn't even make contact, can think of at least 3 this season where we've played it in low and hard to his feet and he's missed a sitter, spurs on Sunday he missed 2 sitters, again when Leavitt hit the post that's a gestede header that's going 3ft wide...

I don't see how he's magically getting better in the championship next season

Look at his record everywhere he's been, Blackburn was a fluke, he has a strike record that would make heskey blush everywhere else

He's simply not good enough to dictate how we should set up as a team, he's been a disaster 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Look at his record everywhere he's been, Blackburn was a fluke, he has a strike record that would make heskey blush everywhere else

I must admit that I knew very little about Gestede when we signed him, and all I was going on was his records and a brief viewing in a cup match on tv. His previous record was my main concern as well when we signed him, he had many years of doing very little, and a couple of decent seasons where he hit it off at Blackburn. Not enough to make him our Benteke replacement in my opinion.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's only a couple of times a game but we have crossed to him, he has had free headers, he's missed sitters on his head, can think of one vs arsenal where he completely underjumped the ball and didn't even make contact, can think of at least 3 this season where we've played it in low and hard to his feet and he's missed a sitter, spurs on Sunday he missed 2 sitters, again when Leavitt hit the post that's a gestede header that's going 3ft wide...

Green put in a good ball other day to a dangerous area and he was on the edge of the box and didnt make a move. Green rightfully had a go at him, it was just before the corner which he made a meal of but turned into a good knockdown :D

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

He was supposed to be Benteke's replacement. 

No wonder we are where we are. 

Nope, Adebayor was going to be Benteke's replacement.

Sherwood totally fudged that waiting and waiting and then not having a plan B.

That decision more than anything has relegated us as awful teams have stayed up before with good strikers as we've seen for ourselves last 5 years.

I don't think he will do it in the championship next year either. He is utterly awful and only had 1 good year with Blackburn he has done nothing before. I reckon he was a one season wonder and can't see him doing it for us next year. 

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I thought he was ok too. Still not as mobile as I'd like him to be but a much improvement over some of the performances he has put in this season.

Still don't want to rely on him next season though.

He was outpaced,out muscle and out fought by Leon **** Brittain. Says it all. Gutless. Nice gloves though.

Need him in the Championship all day long. Like its been said on here, many many times, use him to his strengths and he will get you goals. Its no good having a cross into the stratosphere from Hutton and expect him to get on the end of it. 1 maybe 2 decent wingers, who can actually cross a ball, an he will get his 15-20 for the season.

We can't even take a decent corner, an we still expect this guy to get us goals. I admit he'll never be a Jamie Vardy, but if that overhead went in today, we would all be creaming our pants that he has some quality.

Â