Rudy Gestede

midian

Probably takes the price for worst signing of the season for me, in stiff competition with most other signings.

But if indeed we are going down the "old school, 4-4-2 British hoof/run/proper man/have a pint" -route with our next manager then we might as well keep him.

I think we are getting carried away, If your in a group where most are lazy f****s, it gonna rub off on others. A few we need to get rid of admittedly, i.e Lescott an crew. We need this guy in the championship 100%. Just need to play him to his strengths, Hutton (I know i've mentioned a million times) is not gonna get him 10+ a season with his crossing. He was class last season, believe me its not the player, its the tactics.

Play a half decent winger in the Championship crossing to him every game and he will bag more than a few.

It's worth keeping him simply as if we try to sell him this season teams will only want to pay 2-3m.

If he does somehow have a good season getting 15-20 and we get promoted we can then get rid as we know he isn't good enough for the prem and there would be interested teams when you see the price likes of Rhodes are going for. Gestede was scoring at a similar rate at Blackburn.

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We have made him shit. 20 goals in the championship last season, he's worth persisting with!

No we haven't, he was never going to cut it at PL level. I'd keep him as a squad player in the Championship. If we get promoted he has to be sold immediately 

3 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

No we haven't, he was never going to cut it at PL level. I'd keep him as a squad player in the Championship. If we get promoted he has to be sold immediately 

Someone who is a proven goal scorer in the championship should start not be a squad player. If Ayew stays maybe play the two up together, but if he goes then what type of forward do you think we are capable of signing as a championship club?

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Someone who is a proven goal scorer in the championship should start not be a squad player. If Ayew stays maybe play the two up together, but if he goes then what type of forward do you think we are capable of signing as a championship club?

Is Gestede really a proven championship goal scorer? Yes he had a good season at Blackburn but apart from that his scoring record is Heskey- esque. If he's leading the line next season we'll be nowhere near the top 6.

• Like 4

Gestede is not the greatest at most attributes, but the one where he is exceptional is his heading ability.....we just do not play to his strengths.....its criminal, he is really just a passenger the way we play him......may as well not play him at all ! Play to his strengths and he would score goals and be a major, major threat o

15 minutes ago, deamie said:

Gestede is not the greatest at most attributes, but the one where he is exceptional is his heading ability.....we just do not play to his strengths.....its criminal, he is really just a passenger the way we play him......may as well not play him at all ! Play to his strengths and he would score goals and be a major, major threat o

He's just too limited, you need a forward to be more than just a target for crosses. He literally offers nothing. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's just to limited, you need a forward to be more than just a target for crosses. He literally offers nothing. 

I totally agree but if you are going to play him then you at least have to play to his strengths....otherwise there is no point in playing him! Garde and  now Black in his 1 game have failed to do this, Black just did everything the same as Garde....what is the point ?, hope Black is not in charge for any more games and we appointment new man before next game.

So to accommodate gestede we should change our formation and play with two wide men, who would be ayew, Gil or grealish out of position or traore if he's fit and spend all game crossing?

Or we should just drop gestede and have Gil and grealish play their natural game and then have movement ahead of them from ayew or traore?

I know which one I'd go with

And the argument that we do t play to his strengths and we do t cross to him is undermined by the fact that on the rare occasion that we do cross to him he is missing good chances, Chelsea away, arsenal at home, whoever we played the other week when he missed 3 great chances

So we need to play players out of position and cross the ball to him 20+ plus times a game in order to score a goal? I'm sorry but he simply isn't good enough for that to happen

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So to accommodate gestede we should change our formation and play with two wide men, who would be ayew, Gil or grealish out of position or traore if he's fit and spend all game crossing?

Or we should just drop gestede and have Gil and grealish play their natural game and then have movement ahead of them from ayew or traore?

I know which one I'd go with

And the argument that we do t play to his strengths and we do t cross to him is undermined by the fact that on the rare occasion that we do cross to him he is missing good chances, Chelsea away, arsenal at home, whoever we played the other week when he missed 3 great chances

So we need to play players out of position and cross the ball to him 20+ plus times a game in order to score a goal? I'm sorry but he simply isn't good enough for that to happen

I know which one I'd go for too so don't play him!!!!!!!

Â