Rudy Gestede

midian

We are very much not playing to his strengths by not getting any crosses into the box.

But he's not helping his (our) cause by standing still, not making almost any runs forward. Way to static to be of any use.

If I hear one more person say "Yeah but he's good in the air..."

He's bad at everything, even winning headers. He wins about 5% of his headers from our goal kicks/long free-kicks from the back and the ones he does win are invariably misplaced.

Muck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ooh-Ah said:

He's bad at everything, even winning headers. He wins about 5% of his headers from our goal kicks/long free-kicks from the back and the ones he does win are invariably misplaced.

Muck.

Funny he scored plenty in a poor Blackburn side. Its about tactics and obviously you have to play his strengths. Something Sherwood managed with Benteke

Edited by foreveryoung

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Funny he scored plenty in a poor Blackburn side. Its about tactics and obviously you have to to his strengths. Something Sherwood managed with Benteke

I think his strenths were playing against third rate CBs and trying to earn a PL contract.

Shown zero desire to chuck himself at the admittedly rare crosses put in.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

I think his strenths were playing against third rate CBs and trying to earn a PL contract.

I hardly think the Championship has third rate CB's, its a very tough league which we will soon find out.  

Sorry, chap, but I don't think even Vardy would get many chances scoring goals in this squad. 

Certain players I'm wiling to suspend absolute judgement until we get a new manager in that can build his own team. Gestede is one of them, I don't think we should write him off just yet. He might turn into a useful player in the championship, if we play to his strengths and have a settled team of players that actually care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

To be a success in the premier league you have to be far more than that though.

Gestede has to be one of the worst all round strikers I've ever seen play for us. Usually strikers who struggle to score for us are either at least quick so can cause damage that way (Gabby years back) or can at least hold the ball up and link up play. Ayew's been getting a bit of stick lately but his all round play is lightyears ahead of Gestede's.

Ball just bounces off Gestede's shins, he frequently miskicks shots or just falls over and he's been lucky the ref didn't stop obvious handballs v Stoke and Leicester, just a very un-cordinated player and really a striker I hate to watch.

The modern game requires a lone striker to be able to link with team mates and construct moves. We crossed for fun under MON with Carew and Heskey but at least both were reasonably good at this, Heskey couldn't score but could at least pass to a team mate and hold up the ball.

That's why you see Carroll struggling to get a game at liverpool and West Ham, he's better than Gestede at attacking the ball imo but his all round game is just too limited for the top level.

That said in the championship it's a little more simplistic, defences are a lot poorer down there so I'd hang onto him and see if his confidence isn't totally shot back in a league where he should be more comfortable. We need to have pace alongside him though otherwise it will still look a car crash upfront down there.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I am sorry, I lol'd

Thanks for going back over 9 months to quote this you clearly are a sad individual, also remind me to never be positive about a new signing who performs relatively well in their first few games again!

We've had so many strikers score on their debuts for us, it's natural to get excited over it.

Dublin scored a hat-trick for us and I thought yep we have a good one here and DIon did very well as did Benteke of course.

Baros on the other hand was amazing on his debut and then reverted to utter tripe for most of his time here so it can sometimes cause a false impression.

It was a great header v Bournemouth but what I wanted to see from Gestede was how much he had to offer when opposition teams could nullify him in the air. Next to nothing as it turns out.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Thanks for going back over 9 months to quote this you clearly are a sad individual, also remind me to never be positive about a new signing who performs relatively well in their first few games again!

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Lighten up guy.

7 hours ago, Ooh-Ah said:

Muck.

Guzan goal kicks is not really a way to judge him either is shitty Westwood corners/free kicks

put him in a team with a player like Ashley Young 2008 vintage and Gestede would look absolute brilliant in the air

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Relying on this guy to fire us back up to the PL next season is a gamble I hope the club will not take

Yeah, we should be looking to bring in someone who has experience scoring goals at that level, oh....

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Yeah, we should be looking to bring in someone who has experience scoring goals at that level, oh....

Maybe we can get Amr Zaki? Although that was the PL so he might be too good for us

Season 13/14 - better than 1 goal in 2 games

Season 14/15 - better than 1 goal in 2 games

Yeah, sounds too risky to use this guy we already have on the payroll, let's buy someone else who is guaranteed to have a better record :thumb:

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

well his last line is spot on though, we rarely get crosses into the box which makes his threat minimal

You say this. But I can think of 5 or 6 times this season where Gestede has had absolute golden headed chances, and still fluffed it.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You say this. But I can think of 5 or 6 times this season where Gestede has had absolute golden headed chances, and still fluffed it.

He absolute destroyed Chelsea in the air in 1st half last weekend and wasnt one player near him to pick up 2nd balls

Â