Rudy Gestede

midian

1 hour ago, Arj Guy said:

Is Gestede really a proven championship goal scorer? Yes he had a good season at Blackburn but apart from that his scoring record is Heskey- esque. If he's leading the line next season we'll be nowhere near the top 6.

This is what concerns me. He has had basically one good season scoring goals and that is it. His goalscoring record before that was abject. The world is littered with strikers who had one good season. Guy Whittingham anyone? I hope he can do it when back at Championship level but I don't think it's anything like guaranteed. 

5 hours ago, sne said:

Probably takes the price for worst signing of the season for me, in stiff competition with most other signings.

But if indeed we are going down the "old school, 4-4-2 British hoof/run/proper man/have a pint" -route with our next manager then we might as well keep him.

The only team playing "old school, 4-4-2 British hoof/run/proper man/have a pint" football in the Premier League right now is Leicester City.

Suddenly doesn't seem so bad, eh?!

Leicesters front line is pretty much the opposite of ours right now

Vardy can occupy the entire defensive line, clever movement and non stop movement making him incredibly hard to pick up, balls over the top in to space that they use pace to get on to, off the ball they harass and press the ball high up the pitch

That's not exactly gestede is it?

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Leicesters front line is pretty much the opposite of ours right now

Vardy can occupy the entire defensive line, clever movement and non stop movement making him incredibly hard to pick up, balls over the top in to space that they use pace to get on to, off the ball they harass and press the ball high up the pitch

That's not exactly gestede is it?

My comment wasn't a comparison, just that there's nothing wrong with an effective 4-4-2 system.

• Like 1

20 goals or not I don't even want to watch him play. Watching him trying to control a football, make a pass. Watching him trying to shift his lumbering body. Watching him strike a football with all the skill and panache of Carlton Palmer on meth.

Football is about enjoyment, and frankly I would have much more joy not watching this lazy useless **** trott around the pitch hoping he gets on the end of a couple of crosses.

**** me, let' s just sign Gary Megson shall we?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arj Guy said:

Is Gestede really a proven championship goal scorer? Yes he had a good season at Blackburn but apart from that his scoring record is Heskey- esque. If he's leading the line next season we'll be nowhere near the top 6.

12 the season before. I'd say he was improving until he came to us. No certainties in football, you can't come out with a sweeping statement like "If If he's leading the line next season we'll be nowhere near the top 6"

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

12 the season before. I'd say he was improving until he came to us. No certainties in football, you can't come out with a sweeping statement like "If If he's leading the line next season we'll be nowhere near the top 6"

ok well in my opinion I don't think we'll be near the top 6 if Gestede is our main striker

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

20 goals or not I don't even want to watch him play. Watching him trying to control a football, make a pass. Watching him trying to shift his lumbering body. Watching him strike a football with all the skill and panache of Carlton Palmer on meth.

Football is about enjoyment, and frankly I would have much more joy not watching this lazy useless **** trott around the pitch hoping he gets on the end of a couple of crosses.

**** me, let' s just sign Gary Megson shall we?

i agree it's extremely painful watching  players of Gestede's calibre representing Aston Villa. It's a **** disgrace in fact. However whilst Randy is around we just have to accept it :(

I like him.

Gets into good positions, and the tiny glimmers of light we've had this year have been down to this fella.

With better players around him he'll score a respectable haul of goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I like him.

Gets into good positions, and the tiny glimmers of light we've had this year have been down to this fella.

With better players around him he'll score a respectable haul of goals.

He's missed Amavi. He's the one French signing I really hope we keep.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

He didn't play a huge amount at Cardiff, it was mainly sub appearances and of course one season in the prem where he barely featured so bit unfair.

He was very effective for Blackburn down there, not just against lower league, he had good games in the cup v Stoke and Liverpool.

Amavi's injury didn't help, he set up a few goals for him. That hopefully will be an option next season.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

problem for me is he is better as a 2nd half/last 20 minute impact sub like vs Bournemouth and blues. He is not a 90 minute player

Yes, this. I don't much care whether we keep him or sell him, but under no circumstances should he ever be 'Plan A'. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

The only team playing "old school, 4-4-2 British hoof/run/proper man/have a pint" football in the Premier League right now is Leicester City.

Suddenly doesn't seem so bad, eh?!

True, 4-4-2 is not a terrible tactic as say.

But it is incredibly demanding to play nowadays since you mostly face teams with 3 CM's and attacking fullbacks. You have to have players exceptionally suited to this formation for it to work, both wide players and especially the CM's have to work very hard.

Man City played 4-4-2 under Pellegrini (I think?) and that worked rather well for them. And Leicester has done amazing.

Leicester thou have Ranieri who is a tactical master, and Imo they play 4-4-2, but not the classic "old School British" version. Tall guy/fast guy strike force and all about long balls and crosses that we used to love in Sweden.

4-4-2 can work, but I think is one of the hardest, most demanding tactics around.

If we can play it like this, then I'm all for it :wub:

Why Leicester City's seemingly simple tactics work so well

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35553082

Edited by sne

If we keep him he should only be used when we play with wingers to get the cross in. This guy is as mobile as a commemorative monument which is why he should only be played as an impact sub if anything. Said during the summer that we really needed to add to our strike-force and I think it's safe to say that this is more crucial than ever.

4 hours ago, sne said:

True, 4-4-2 is not a terrible tactic as say.

But it is incredibly demanding to play nowadays since you mostly face teams with 3 CM's and attacking fullbacks. You have to have players exceptionally suited to this formation for it to work, both wide players and especially the CM's have to work very hard.

Man City played 4-4-2 under Pellegrini (I think?) and that worked rather well for them. And Leicester has done amazing.

Leicester thou have Ranieri who is a tactical master, and Imo they play 4-4-2, but not the classic "old School British" version. Tall guy/fast guy strike force and all about long balls and crosses that we used to love in Sweden.

4-4-2 can work, but I think is one of the hardest, most demanding tactics around.

If we can play it like this, then I'm all for it :wub:

Why Leicester City's seemingly simple tactics work so well

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35553082

Leicester changed their tactics to 3 at the back during the game yesterday. 

• Like 1

On 30/07/2015 at 11:21, Dr_Pangloss said:

He looks to be in the Shearer mold. Absolutely excellent in the air and a no nonsense finisher on the ground, making sure he gets his shot on target with as much power as possible. Not sure what his hold up play is like, but one things for sure, for him to be effective, we need to be getting lots of crosses in the box.

I am sorry, I lol'd

Â