Rudy Gestede

midian

34 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Rudy is good when a ball is aimed reasonably well to his head.  But he doesn't seem to work all that hard in other situations.  Did he play like that in the championship and change for some reason when he got here?  Or did he never play really well off the ball, but his teammates hit is head often enough that it just didn't matter that he didn't work hard to do much else?

I'm interested because the answer implies something about Aston Villa, or something about the Championship.

In the 2014-15 season, Blackburn played with two wingers, Craig Conway and Ben Marshall. They provided a good number of assist that season. If we had two decent crosses of the ball, I believe Gestede would have scored more goals.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, villianusa said:

In the 2014-15 season, Blackburn played with two wingers, Craig Conway and Ben Marshall. They provided a good number of assist that season. If we had two decent crosses of the ball, I believe Gestede would have scored more goals.

I agree, if you put the ball on his head he's quite accurate.  But that wasn't my question.  Did he work hard to create other options, including space, when the ball was not in flight from a cross?  Because he is not doing that now.  Did something at Villa kill that effort, energy, enthusiasm.  Or is that (when the ball is not in flight from the cross) effort not really needed in the championship?

This may just be wishful thinking, but I think he did do more off the ball when he first came into the side. Am I just dreaming this?

I don't think he's Garde's sort of player and I don't think he knows how to get the best out of him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Rudy is good when a ball is aimed reasonably well to his head.  But he doesn't seem to work all that hard in other situations.  Did he play like that in the championship and change for some reason when he got here?  Or did he never play really well off the ball, but his teammates hit is head often enough that it just didn't matter that he didn't work hard to do much else?

I'm interested because the answer implies something about Aston Villa, or something about the Championship.

Without knowing a whole lot about the championship my guess is it's a more rough and tumble league which would suit Gestede's game a lot better.

The weaknesses in his game are probably more exposed in the fast, open style of the premier league.

Do I think we should keep him? No, because he doesn't fit with the kind of team I would be trying to build to get us back into the PL and further. I'd rather keep Kozak because his movement and positioning are better and I can see him working better with Gil and Agbonlahor and most of our other creative players and strikers. 

10 hours ago, villianusa said:

I think if we signed bog standard wingers like Matt Jarvis we would get best out of Rudy

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think if we signed bog standard wingers like Matt Jarvis we would get best out of Rudy

Garde definitely seems to be working along the lines of flood the centre midfield first and foremost and then use those midfielders to get wide when we have the ball like Veretout and Gil. I think he wants all of his players to do two or three jobs on the pitch whereas the like of Jarvis is only capable of doing one.

During a training session at Bodymoor, Remi walks into the change room, making sure that nobody is hanging back. He turns and notices, that somebody has dropped a turd on the shower floor. Infuriated, he walks outside, and approaches the gaggle of players standing around talking shite. " Right! Which one of you bastards shit on the floor?!" Remi yelled. Rudy Gestede slowly raises his hand. "Me, Boss." he says sheepishly. " But I am not too bad in the air."

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

During a training session at Bodymoor, Remi walks into the change room, making sure that nobody is hanging back. He turns and notices, that somebody has dropped a turd on the shower floor. Infuriated, he walks outside, and approaches the gaggle of players standing around talking shite. " Right! Which one of you bastards shit on the floor?!" Remi yelled. Rudy Gestede slowly raises his hand. "Me, Boss." he says sheepishly. " But I am not too bad in the air."

Â