Rudy Gestede

midian

He looked decent because we actually played to his strengths. For the first time this season we started playing the ball forward early to gave him something to fight for a flick on, rather than playing lots of sideways passes and trying to play the ball into his feet. We also tried to cross the ball much more today than in any previous game.

I think he should play against West Brom as Kozak's partners, and we should just play direct and let Ayew and the midfield support. The second half today was the most dangerous we've looked all season, Leicester were hanging on even if they were trying to hit us on the break.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

He looked decent because we actually played to his strengths. For the first time this season we started playing the ball forward early to gave him something to fight for a flick on, rather than playing lots of sideways passes and trying to play the ball into his feet. We also tried to cross the ball much more today than in any previous game.

I think he should play against West Brom as Kozak's partners, and we should just play direct and let Ayew and the midfield support. The second half today was the most dangerous we've looked all season, Leicester were hanging on even if they were trying to hit us on the break.

I'd agree that going direct is probably the best for this team, but Albion may not be the team to play like that against...let's not forget they regularly play with 4 cbs in the pitch, aerial battles are their forte

Edited by mikeyp102

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

I'd agree that goon direct is probably the best for this team, but Albion may not be the team to play like that against...let's not forget they regularly play with 4 cbs in the pitch, aerial battles are their forte

Perhaps - but I think broader problem with our team is we are regularly bullied off the ball and bullied out of games by teams that are physically stronger.

The second half today was a hark back to the MON era when we occasionally had Carew and Harewood up front and played very direct, and teams couldn't handle it. The tone was set by Gestede ad Kozak in the second half - the Leicester defence couldn't defend deep because they were concerned about the aerial threat, and they couldn't hold a high line because Ayew was looking to get behind.

38 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I think the thing that helped him the most was having somebody to actually get on the end of his flick ons.

Too often he's flicking it on to nobody. Not necessarily his fault, but noticeable.

I found the goal amusing. Not sure about anyone else in the ground but I felt genuine shock and a delay before celebrating. Part of it was I saw him handle it (thought with how bad the ref had been, he'd definitely give it). The other part was Rudy actually finished it with his left foot.

Fair play to him though, a lot better performance.

Â