Rudy Gestede

midian

He was decent against the slower defences of the championship...he didn't need to move as much. If he was shooting and missing, people would be frustrated, but not as much as seeing him just not moving enough.

He really is hopeless. Never makes any runs. instead just walks around everywhere. wins the occasional header but doesn't win enough of them for his height. When he actually does win them they don't go to another player. Waste of space. As terrible as sinclair is i'd rather have him upfront by himself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard said:

In amongst all the "I didn't sign the players" shite that the cockney spouted , thus was one player he apparently did sign . Well done. The ones "you didn't " ; Gana, Ayew, Veretout, Amavi are miles better than the ones "you did" Gestede, Richards, Lescott, Ilori.

I've never been a fan of these transfer committees (or whatever title they are giving themselves), but I shudder to think what we would have ended up with had Tim been handed the cheque.

That's maybe a strange comment given that we are likely to break Derby's record low points tally, but I suppose we may at least recoup our money in the summer on some of the French lads.

He's got 0 movement. That's his problem. Yes he'll win the ball in the air more than not but never clean enough to be of any use - it ends up going somewhere but mark it down as a won header... cant hold the ball up despite the size he is either but his movement is pub league standard.

That's his major major flaw - we lack any sort of movement from any of our strikers (Ayew is getting there for this league...) and that means we never have any options for our midfielders to move the ball onto, and we just end up trying to play in a cross for one man in the box to outjump centre halves and beat a keeper from 12-15 yards with his bonce, when he doesn't even seemingly have a clue where the ball is going to go.

If we had players alongside him who would help him out by dragging defenders away, making runs behind fullbacks so they cant cover up - we might see some benefit from this lamppost, but his movement is so bad that we can't do anything beyond him as the defenders have everything in front of them and its easy. I'd fancy my chances of marking Gustede out of a game - let alone a league 2 centre half.

• Like 3

I actually felt he would be a useful squad member this year, he looked decent enough last year. Biggest problem may be that we clearly needed another front line striker, and intended for Rudy to be a back up. He was given premier striker status straight away following the adebayor collapse and has not done well under the pressure. I'd say sell, but as he has some pedigree in the championship we may as well keep him :/

I thought after that incredible header against Liverpool (and that decent one against Blues) that we had a threat on our hands. But he really has no clue what to do beyond "get your head to the ball at all costs". Kind of shows how good of a crosser Amavi was that he managed to score those 2 goals.

Just now, Keyblade said:

I thought after that incredible header against Liverpool (and that decent one against Blues) that we had a threat on our hands. But he really has no clue what to do beyond "get your head to the ball at all costs". Kind of shows how good of a crosser Amavi was that he managed to score those 2 goals.

In his defence, look at the people we have crossing the ball for him at the moment and have had recently. Hutton, Sinclair, Richardson and Bacuna. None of them are particularly good at it and he's had very few chances come his way as a result. 

• Like 2

I don't think Rudy is a bad player, but he needs to be played in the right system.

We signed him off the back of last season where he played alongside Rhodes. He is capable of winning headers and holding the ball up, but if there is no one to run onto the pass or make a run for him he will falter.

The lack of decent crosses into the box also doesn't help. For the Bournemouth goal he had a run at the ball and a bullet header, he's barely had a decent cross like that since.  

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

In his defence, look at the people we have crossing the ball for him at the moment and have had recently. Hutton, Sinclair, Richardson and Bacuna. None of them are particularly good at it and he's had very few chances come his way as a result. 

I do agree.

But it's not like he's had nothing. He's had 4 or 5 golden chances over the past few games and he's fluffed all of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, piav_k4 said:

Does Rudy just have a low work rate?

Or is it difficult for a bloke of his size to give it everything for 90 mins?

He does seem to be constantly conserving his energy.

when we signed him a saw a little clip on the BBC which showed him closing down defenders  and the commentator / expert  said we weren't just getting a goal scorer but someone who worked hard with lots of energy

can only assume I dreamt that or the BBC showed a highlights reel of the wrong player

33 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

when we signed him a saw a little clip on the BBC which showed him closing down defenders  and the commentator / expert  said we weren't just getting a goal scorer but someone who worked hard with lots of energy

can only assume I dreamt that or the BBC showed a highlights reel of the wrong player

Ha ha - It doesn't sound much like the Gestede I've had the pleasure of watching so far this season.

I do understand that he isn't the most gifted player to have pulled on the shirt and he wasn't signed for his footwork but there does appear to be a lack of effort.

Â