Rudy Gestede

midian

Not sure where to put this, anyone notice the over the top (literally) fan celebrating the Villa goal. Please excuse my foul language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMFgxkm-Emg

Yes I had noticed this. He looks like he seriously whacked the ground. I watched it in super slow mo on my v box very funny

His style of attacking the ball and heading in general is way different to Benteke's. Benteke likes to watch and time his leap, which he does so, so well. However, Gestede literally just throws himself into the ball, which is more probably more beneficial for a team like ours because it relies less on the cross being weighted perfectly or being lofted in. 

No doubt this guy is going to score some more bullet headers via the service he'll get from Amavi, Bacuna, Westwood, Veretout etc.

I think the presence of Rudy in the box will also give more chances to other players. The defence will be so concerned about what Rudy is up to it will allow Clark and Richards and others a bit more opportunity to get some space in the box at set pieces 

• Like 1

Tin hat on - I think benteke missed a fair few on his head... Agree with samjp he almost waited for the ball to come to him and then it was all in the timing, that goal yesterday, much like what laursen use to do (and to be fair Richards did a few times in pre season, and if gestede missed the ball yesterday or even didn't make that run Richards was winning the ball behind him) he went and attacked the ball

• Like 1

As has been said, this bloke really seems to play like an old school centre forward - Shearer style. Or in Villa terms, Hateley, Lochhead, Gray, Withe. I love it.

But with the players we have, we don't have to rely on route one, as we now have lads who can use the ball on the floor.

Things are looking up.

• Like 1

What i was impressed by - and i admit it was only the first few minutes, was his hold up play. There were 3-4 times where he won the ball, flicked on, got fouled, or simply cushioned, controlled and secured the ball for us when under pressure.

This is a genuine question and not an attempt to be revisionist, how many did Benteke score with his head? I can think of 5 straight off.

No one has scored more headed goals in the premier league in the last 3 seasons than Benteke. 

• Like 2

I wasn't putting Benteke down in the slightest by the way, or suggesting that Gestede is better. Benteke's timing and ability to literally take the ball out of the air however he likes is impeccable, second to none the last few years. 

Just think that for example we know that our corners aren't the best, but Gestede is the sort of player that will make the most out of a bad corner.

Â