Rudy Gestede

midian

i have simply been singing a natty little tune since Saturday early evening....

there's a striker, a benin striker

called rudy gestede....

very disappointed to hear its pronounced gest-ed....

great start and welcome to the club, rudy!

Tickled me when Eddie Howe described Rudy's Goal Yesterday as " a textbook header from the lower leagues".....sounds more like textbook "sour grapes"

So fitting then for a shit little club who've spent their whole history in the lower leagues.

I don't know what it is about Howe, but his face and manner irritates me.

Same here! Watching his interview after the game yesterday really annoyed me! It wasn't so much what he said, It was his face! Looks like a ken doll!

It came across to me a bit condescending.....like we( bournemouth) played the better football, but got nothing.....Welcome to the Prem Eddie.....You have to be clinical

• Like 1

There's more than just heading that he's better at than Benteke:

"Defenders invariably want to get out the way. It's like a moving car, you don't just stand there - you want to move out the way when it's coming at 30mph.

"He throws himself at it. He's brave. But he's more than a battering ram. His hold-up play is good, his movement is good and he knows his limitations.

"He wants us to get the ball out wide and then get himself into the box. If the boys deliver crosses he will eat them up."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4922138,00.html?

Someone should rewrite the entire song Ruby with lyrics to fit Gestede.

Surely a message to you Rudy is perfect for him.

Something along the lines of...

He's big, he's bad and he's ours (na na na)

He's gonna bring a bright future (na na na)

Time to cross the ball in (na na na)

Creating problems in the box (na na na)

Rudy, a message to you

Rudy, a message to you

(Needs some work but reckon this would sound awesome)

He's big, he's bad and he's ours (na na na)

He's gonna bring a bright future (na na na)

Time to cross the ball in (na na na)

He's terrorising defenders (na na na)

Rudy, a header for you

Rudy, a a header for you

Seeing it again(and again and again) Its the first time in 5 years I've seen a villa player attack the ball from a set piece, since mellberg, laursen & carew we have really struggled with corners.

Erm, Benteke?

he never really attacked the ball though in an aggressive manner on corners though. Most of his headed goals came from Bacuna crosses last season

I remember one against Norwich IIRC from a corner. Absolutely bullied his marker.

I liked Gestede's goal celebration - involving your team mates doesn't seem like too much to ask, but few do.

Anyone else tickled by the cockney commentator going "Phwoar" when he watched the replay of the header? :)

Was it Tony Gayle? He was absolutely loving it on my stream!
  • Like 1

Great Start from Rudy.

I think it's unfair to start comparing him to Benteke. He doesn't have to be as good as Christian in order to be a success. For me, Benteke is the second best striker in the league and expecting a £6m signing from the Championship to match up to our lofty expectations is a little unfair.

Reminds me of Carew. Hopefully Rudy is more on than off like Big John. Carew on his day was unplayable considering how little effort he put into improving in training. I think I watched a programme somewhere where he said that he just cba to practice his weaker foot etc like other strikers. I wonder what Carew would've achieved if he actually put the effort in.

He is much more of a physical presence by the looks of it than Benteke.

Obviously Benteke was very strong and I wouldnt like to say who would win in an arm wrestle but I think I'd put my money on Rudy to win a Sumo Wrestle.

I think that will play a big part in his effectiveness at winning headers in the box.

Benteke had a great leap and with his height won a lot but he was easily nullified if teams surrounded him in the box.

Â