Rudy Gestede

midian

Seeing it again(and again and again) Its the first time in 5 years I've seen a villa player attack the ball from a set piece, since mellberg, laursen & carew we have really struggled with corners.

Erm, Benteke?

He never attacked corners or free kicks though, most set pieces he spent lingering on the edge of the box. I can only think of 3 goals he scored from corners

Seeing it again(and again and again) Its the first time in 5 years I've seen a villa player attack the ball from a set piece, since mellberg, laursen & carew we have really struggled with corners.

Erm, Benteke?

He never attacked corners or free kicks though, most set pieces he spent lingering on the edge of the box. I can only think of 3 goals he scored from corners

and one of them was a low shot against United :P

Great start. Beast in the air.

Hopefully with people like him and Richards in the team we'll actually start being a threat from set pieces again!

And less likely to concede from them too with a bit of luck. As good as Benteke was in the air he was pants at defending corners. I'm hoping for a Rudy improvement in that department

I absolutely see your point and agree with 99% of what you say. The new CM's, the returning players, the square pegs in round holes, true quality in new signings and the average attackers ;), but it's been years since we had crossing as an option, despite having giants and poachers. Even when we had a true winger option crossing wasn't a feature.

For me that's embarrassing, it shows the clubs management haven't identified a key outlet for tactical changes. Every top team has options or they struggle, every low team without options struggles too. Leicester were a prime example last year, they changed their play and played to their strengths. We did the same and we survived.

For a club who is among the elite in world football it's extremely nearsighted to ignore a tactical option. I don't blame the current management, as preseason showed there is a willingness to play that crossing tactic (Robinson did a great job at that), but when you don't have the players capable of either putting the ball in, or the tactics to get it done you're going to lose out in the long run. I hope Sherwood is aware that Gestede cannot thrive on full back crosses alone, he'll need to have strong words with Sinclair to encourage him to actually throw in a cross or two and not wait on the box for an overlap.

Oh I'm not arguing that we could do with a winger or two. If the Lennon rumours are true then I think the club has identified that as a weakness, so at least we're heading in the right direction.

I think a fair few of us were a bit miffed when we sold Albrighton, too. I know I was. I just meant I didn't find it embarrassing yesterday that our fullbacks were the best crossers on the pitch when it wasn't our Plan A. You're right in that we definitely could use at least one winger who can cross though. I doubt you'll hear any arguments against that.

Tickled me when Eddie Howe described Rudy's Goal Yesterday as " a textbook header from the lower leagues".....sounds more like textbook "sour grapes"

This is a genuine question and not an attempt to be revisionist, how many did Benteke score with his head? I can think of 5 straight off.

No one has scored more headed goals in the premier league in the last 3 seasons than Benteke.

Bony matched him in 2013/2014 with 5 so I think it's 2 years as one was joint with 5

Tickled me when Eddie Howe described Rudy's Goal Yesterday as " a textbook header from the lower leagues".....sounds more like textbook "sour grapes"

Yep, we stepped up a gear in the second half and they couldn't cope. I was expecting more from Bournemouth after the media love fest they were receiving prior to the match, very disappointing. 

That's because the set-piece service during his time with us was piss-poor. He would've buried the corner yesterday just as Gestede did.

The commentators were comparing his header to Shearer just after he scored.

The key difference is that he had his elbows by his side as opposed to aimed at his marker's eye socket/nose/cheekbone.

you never know he might show them elbows against a little rat faced Man City midfielder. Would make him an even bigger fan favourite 

That's because the set-piece service during his time with us was piss-poor. He would've buried the corner yesterday just as Gestede did.
It's think it's more of a case of always being marked tighter. Expect Gestede to get extra special treatment from set pieces from now on. Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I disagree. He would have been at the back post hoping it floats perfectly to him. Westwood has been doing those corners for ages. What we had was movement in  the box. The past few years we've had no movement by players in the area. I don't think Lambert ever worked on set pieces to be honest. 

• Like 1

Isnt the point that was similar to most of deliveries Westwood sent into Benteke. I dont think it was anything different on the corner than he normally delivers

• Like 3

Which makes one wonder why they didn't defend it better considering thats where they came from 

• Like 1

Isnt the point that was similar to most of deliveries Westwood sent into Benteke. I dont think it was anything different on the corner than he normally delivers

But it wasn't similar. I mean, the technique was but the pace and trajectory was not. Gestede met it well but didn't have to generate all the pace himself like Benteke did.

Ironically, the set pieces were tailor made to Bentekes requirements.

He did not want corners delivered like the one that we scored from yesterday-He asked for them to be floated in which is why Westwood & Co took them in that manner.

Now that he's gone, hopefully we'll see some proper set pieces whipped in, not the floated ones that were typical of the Benteke era.

Â