Rudy Gestede

midian

This is a genuine question and not an attempt to be revisionist, how many did Benteke score with his head? I can think of 5 straight off.

No one has scored more headed goals in the premier league in the last 3 seasons than Benteke.

I believe that, it's a dying art. Just wondering on numbers.

Great goal. Standing by my prediction that he will score a hat full.

Absolutely, if we cross.

We had so many chances to put the ball into the box when he came on and we didn't. Our wide men need a reality check and I've been saying it for a while but we need a proper winger, one who goes wide and puts the ball in the box. 

It's embarrassing that our full backs are the best chance creating threat.

This is a genuine question and not an attempt to be revisionist, how many did Benteke score with his head? I can think of 5 straight off.

No one has scored more headed goals in the premier league in the last 3 seasons than Benteke.

This article suggests it was 13 goals, not sure how accurate it is. http://basstunedtored.com/2015/07/22/the-truth-about-benteke-and-crosses/

Rudy will have no problem beating that anyway.

We had so many chances to put the ball into the box when he came on and we didn't. Our wide men need a reality check and I've been saying it for a while but we need a proper winger, one who goes wide and puts the ball in the box. 

I don't think it's embarrassing. Amavi looks like a different class to most of the other players on the pitch, and Bacuna is really a midfielder anyway. Gabby is not a winger and from what we know so far, neither is Ayew, but they weren't played as wingers as our Plan A yesterday. That only changed when Gestede came on and we went to Plan B, but like I said, Gabby and Ayew aren't wingers.

It's good we have options now and that Sherwood has a back-up plan, not even O'Neill had one of those really. I'm not too worried about having less possession than a good Bournemouth side who were playing at home in their very first Premier League match. It was a good result for us regardless of how we played in the first half. We defended solidly and though we'd all like to see more possession and more creativity through the middle, let's not forget that we started two new CMs who aren't used to the league and may not be up to full fitness, and the three CMs who started yesterday barely know each other. Not only that, but our two true creative forces in Grealish and Gil were out injured.

We played about as well as we could given the circumstances and we should all enjoy it.

Edited by Ginko

As has been said, this bloke really seems to play like an old school centre forward - Shearer style. Or in Villa terms, Hateley, Lochhead, Gray, Withe. I love it.

But with the players we have, we don't have to rely on route one, as we now have lads who can use the ball on the floor.

Things are looking up.

commentator was saying players like him are difficult to defend these days as these type of players are so rare now

Seeing it again(and again and again) Its the first time in 5 years I've seen a villa player attack the ball from a set piece, since mellberg, laursen & carew we have really struggled with corners.

Erm, Benteke?

Who?

Seeing it again(and again and again) Its the first time in 5 years I've seen a villa player attack the ball from a set piece, since mellberg, laursen & carew we have really struggled with corners.

Erm, Benteke?

he never really attacked the ball though in an aggressive manner on corners though. Most of his headed goals came from Bacuna crosses last season

I don't think it's embarrassing. Amavi looks like a different class to most of the other players on the pitch, and Bacuna is really a midfielder anyway. Gabby is not a winger and from what we know so far, neither is Ayew, but they weren't played as wingers as our Plan A yesterday. That only changed when Gestede came on and we went to Plan B, but like I said, Gabby and Ayew aren't wingers.

It's good we have options now and that Sherwood has a back-up plan, not even O'Neill had one of those really. I'm not too worried about having less possession than a good Bournemouth side who were playing at home in their very first Premier League match. It was a good result for us regardless of how we played in the first half. We defended solidly and though we'd all like to see more possession and more creativity through the middle, let's not forget that we started two new CMs who aren't used to the league and may not be up to full fitness, and the three CMs who started yesterday barely know each other. Not only that, but our two true creative forces in Grealish and Gil were out injured.

We played about as well as we could given the circumstances and we should all enjoy it.

Our guys needed the first half to build an understanding with one another, but Bournemouth's supercharged style of play in that half did not give them the chance to do so. You could see in the second half we were beginning to find our men much better, and carried a greater threat.

He's just a rich man's Kenwyne Jones and a poor man's Mama Sidibe. Maybe also a middle income earner's Bobby Zamora.

Not sure why everyone's getting all excited.

• Like 1

Why was Gestede so cheap compared to other strikes with equally good strike rate. Is he an old fashioned striker who contribute nothing to the team except heading? If he is as good as everyone is saying, why did not any other team get him? Why is Rhodes so expensive? Wickman? I don't get it.

The good thing -- as long as we have the nous to utilise this -- is that if we have Grealish or Gil on the pitch alongside Amavi and other great crossers of the ball, we can switch it up without having to make subs.

Let's say crosses into Gestede aren't working because they are man-marking him, or better yet, he always has two players on him at set pieces or just general play when we cross it in. Firstly, the guy looks a beast and there may be no stopping him anyway. Secondly, if it's not working, we've got an extra defender on him which opens up space elsewhere that hopefully our more creative players are told to keep a close eye out for in case Plan A fails.

• Like 1

Why was Gestede so cheap compared to other strikes with equally good strike rate. Is he an old fashioned striker who contribute nothing to the team except heading? If he is as good as everyone is saying, why did not any other team get him? Why is Rhodes so expensive? Wickman? I don't get it.

because they are British

Rhodes costs twice as much and he wont make an impact in Premier League

One of the pundits made that point momo. It's not even just 'other strikers'. His own teammate who scored fewer goals in all comps is being whored at twice the price. Radio rental.

• Like 1

I can see Grealish getting a lot of assists this season. He put some wonderful balls in the air last season for Benteke and Benteke didn't take the chances. I don't see this guy missing many with his head. As soon as we were linked with this guy I had a good feeling about it. I think he will be a good fit for us. 

This article puts a bit more meat on the bone about Benteke in the air

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11738370/Why-Christian-Benteke-could-be-a-bad-signing-for-Liverpool.html

I absolutely see your point and agree with 99% of what you say. The new CM's, the returning players, the square pegs in round holes, true quality in new signings and the average attackers ;), but it's been years since we had crossing as an option, despite having giants and poachers. Even when we had a true winger option crossing wasn't a feature. 

For me that's embarrassing, it shows the clubs management haven't identified a key outlet for tactical changes. Every top team has options or they struggle, every low team without options struggles too. Leicester were a prime example last year, they changed their play and played to their strengths. We did the same and we survived. 

For a club who is among the elite in world football it's extremely nearsighted to ignore a tactical option. I don't blame the current management, as preseason showed there is a willingness to play that crossing tactic (Robinson did a great job at that), but when you don't have the players capable of either putting the ball in, or the tactics to get it done you're going to lose out in the long run. I hope Sherwood is aware that Gestede cannot thrive on full back crosses alone, he'll need to have strong words with Sinclair to encourage him to actually throw in a cross or two and not wait on the box for an overlap.

Â