Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

we do sometimes forget that Ayew, Vertout are young, from a different league and English is not their first language.

People were patient with Petrov who too an eternity to bed in.

Angel a legend who was dreadful for god knows how many games, Milosevic, etc etc.

• Like 1

If someone offered £5 million for him today. I'd happily take a £5 million hit on him after only 3 games.....He really was that bad against County. One of the worst performances I've seen from a Villa player considering the opposition.

I don't even know where to begin in replying to this. Im just going to use a reply I had to give in the Tim Sherwood thread......................Bollocks

• Like 3

As someone who went to the game, it's true he struggled to impress but I have certainly seen some positives. Although he was offside an awful lot, he makes very good runs forward, strange for us to have a striker with movement. I noticed this against United when Gana nearly put him in. 

I suspect he will take the longest to adapt but writing him off is just ridiculous. 

• Like 2

He's alright man, he'll be good enough for us certainly. 

He's very enthusiastic, and willing - that will go a long way.  He also has some good midfielders to pass to him now too.

He'll be just fine and dandy.

Donnie - shut up, lol.

• Like 2

Didnt see the game so I can't comment on all the doom much.

However his run drawing defenders away from Traore for his goal is quite noticeable to me at least.

Also the "goal" he scored lookd pretty legitimate to me. If it had counted while not changing his overall performance would have perhaps but a different complection on it.

However his run drawing defenders away from Traore for his goal is quite noticeable to me at least.

I saw this as well, great run. I don't think our midfield is used to a striker who runs into space behind the defenders, maybe once they have played together a bit more they will start releasing the ball earlier and while hes onside.

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

Call me selfish and a bad supporter, but to be honest.

If someone offered me personally £5m for Villa to sell him, even making a big loss, I'd take it :)

Better yet, I'll take his contract over too.

It's WAAAAAY too soon to be writing him off. The scouts will have seen something, that we blatantly haven't seen yet. He's new to the country, wasn't up to scratch fitness wise when he first came and I imagine wouldn't have started at all if it were not for injuries.

Time.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

If someone offered me personally £5m for Villa to sell him, even making a big loss, I'd take it :)

Better yet, I'll take his contract over too.

It's WAAAAAY too soon to be writing him off. The scouts will have seen something, that we blatantly haven't seen yet. He's new to the country, wasn't up to scratch fitness wise when he first came and I imagine wouldn't have started at all if it were not for injuries.

Time.

Yup I think he'll be a good squad player for us, but not a stand out player.

Certainly an upgrade on Gabby once he's settled 

its laughable that people are slating a young player off after 2-3 games FFS!

Our meal ticket Benteke who was here for THREE YEARS was often offside 4-6 times each game.

take a deep breath...  have a pint...  he will come good.  :):cheers:

It seemed like this signing didn't really seem to capture the fans imagination the way some of our other signings did like Veretout and Traore. I don't know if that was because we were being linked to the likes of Embolo and Martial and so Ayew seemed like a let down in comparison. I thought he was going to be like a cross between Eto'o and Dwight Yorke, he hasn't reached those heights yet but I'm sure he'll come good. In fact unless we sign a really big name before the window shuts I reckon he'll be widely regarded as the best striker at the club by the time the season has ended.

• Like 3

Our meal ticket Benteke who was here for THREE YEARS was often offside 4-6 times each game.

Depends what you mean by slating.

I don't thin kit's wrong to criticise his performances so far. They haven't been great. He was particularly bad on Tuesday.

I do think it's wrong to conclude that those performances reflect his actual ability and to write him off for it. I also don't think it's right to slate him personally for it. He's young, in a new country and a new league. It's a big step.

His performances are not immune from criticism, they just have mitigating circumstances that give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

• Like 4

Depends what you mean by slating.

I don't thin kit's wrong to criticise his performances so far. They haven't been great. He was particularly bad on Tuesday.

I do think it's wrong to conclude that those performances reflect his actual ability and to write him off for it. I also don't think it's right to slate him personally for it. He's young, in a new country and a new league. It's a big step.

His performances are not immune from criticism, they just have mitigating circumstances that give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

The early pages of the Benteke thread stand as testimony of why you are right.

That isn't to say Ayew is the new Benteke, obviously but neither was Benteke the new Heskey.

Criticism of performances is one thing, writing off the prospect of improvement in performances over time is quite another.

I saw this as well, great run. I don't think our midfield is used to a striker who runs into space behind the defenders, maybe once they have played together a bit more they will start releasing the ball earlier and while hes onside.
The way our squad is shaping up with so many good attacking midfielders we will need someone to play the unselfish centre forward at times. Like Benzema for Real or how Suarez has adapted his game this year. Suarez makes run after run and mostly it's a decoy. It is so effective when those running with the ball are looking for space.

I'm not comparing Ayew with Suarez by the way just using him as an example of how the very best do it.

It seemed like this signing didn't really seem to capture the fans imagination the way some of our other signings did like Veretout and Traore. I don't know if that was because we were being linked to the likes of Embolo and Martial and so Ayew seemed like a let down in comparison. I thought he was going to be like a cross between Eto'o and Dwight Yorke, he hasn't reached those heights yet but I'm sure he'll come good. In fact unless we sign a really big name before the window shuts I reckon he'll be widely regarded as the best striker at the club by the time the season has ended.

I'd disagree with that - he just hasn't looked very good since signing. We signed a lot of unknown quantities this summer, seeing as the vast majority of the fan base don't watch Ligue 1 or the segunda in Spain, we mainly just had youtube to go on. 

He'll score tomorrow. Quote me.

Is Amanda Acquah flying over then?

I doubt he will get a look in tomorrow (on the pitch) but it's way too soon to be writing him off.

Â