Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

Lets just say I for one don't believe the Ayew we are seeing right now is the Ayew we will be seeing 2 months from now.  Once he settles and gels with the club he will show his worth...  my previous post was more pointed at ppl talking of cutting losses and selling him after 2-3 matches!

I have confidence in our staff's scouting and coaching abilities...  I don't believe that they would have spent $10mil on a player if they didn't think he'd come good.

as I said before...  sit back and have a pint- lets watch him grow into a quality player under Sherwood! :cheers:

Agreed, I think he will improve. It is a slow start, but I also feel our formation wont help him. I see him as a second striker and we play 1 with 2 wide men. He is not a wide man IMO (ally Gabby) and isnt a lone striker IMO. Would sit better in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1

Maybe TS knows this and he is there to come off the bench if we need to switch it to 2 up top. But currently we havn't seen him in that role, so tough to judge?

Not impressed me at all in preseason or in the minutes he's played so far this season. He needs time to settle and will get that. Needs to show a lot more though in his all round game.

At present I feel we've been mugged a bit in regards to the fee paid. Our most expensive signing is looking the biggest dud right now, but of course that can all change. I think he will get a few, and turn out to be an upgrade on AW. I hope so anyway.

He's not been very impressive in the first few matches its true. What worried me on tuesday night was just before he came off he won a corner in front of the holte, not far from the corner flag, and he turned away from the flag and walked into the box, head down. Grealish took the corner and Ayew was still walking, he hadn't even turned to face the ball. Made me think hes got no confidence at all.

He's not been very impressive in the first few matches its true. What worried me on tuesday night was just before he came off he won a corner in front of the holte, not far from the corner flag, and he turned away from the flag and walked into the box, head down. Grealish took the corner and Ayew was still walking, he hadn't even turned to face the ball. Made me think hes got no confidence at all.

That's fallout of a striker not having scored in his first few appearances.

Who knows if he'll turn out good for us or not, early indications are not great but without sounding like a broken record on this thread; let's just give him some time.

Plenty of players have looked like world beaters to end up shit (Di Maria) and others have looked shit and turned out great (insert example).

• Like 1

Nothing really to do with Ayew this, but Benteke didn't take time to settle - he scored within about eight minutes of his debut in mid September and had nine goals by the end of the year.

Ayew will settle, I think he probably needs a break so he can watch one or two games and train more, but I think he'll settle and improve.

• Like 3

Nothing really to do with Ayew this, but Benteke didn't take time to settle - he scored within about eight minutes of his debut in mid September and had nine goals by the end of the year.

Ayew will settle, I think he probably needs a break so he can watch one or two games and train more, but I think he'll settle and improve.

I think Gestede took 13 mins so everyone must be shit.

Back to Ayew, I hope our fans have some funny shit to throw at him this week, personally Id take that monster song and try "whats that coming over your wife? its Jordan Ayew, its Jordan Ayew" or somesuch. Solidarity in humour brother :)

• Like 3

I'm not sure what it is you've taken from my post there. I'm certainly not saying Ayew is shit because he hadn't scored in eight minutes (or thirteen) I just wanted to make a point on a few people having said Benteke took time to settle - I think he scored nine goals in his first sixteen games or something similar - he took to it like a duck to water.  

I'm personally hoping for a gallic "Allez Ayew" at some point.

its laughable that people are slating a young player off after 2-3 games FFS!

Our meal ticket Benteke who was here for THREE YEARS was often offside 4-6 times each game.

take a deep breath...  have a pint...  he will come good.  :):cheers:

Depends what you mean by slating.

I don't thin kit's wrong to criticise his performances so far. They haven't been great. He was particularly bad on Tuesday.

I do think it's wrong to conclude that those performances reflect his actual ability and to write him off for it. I also don't think it's right to slate him personally for it. He's young, in a new country and a new league. It's a big step.

His performances are not immune from criticism, they just have mitigating circumstances that give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

The early pages of the Benteke thread stand as testimony of why you are right.

That isn't to say Ayew is the new Benteke, obviously but neither was Benteke the new Heskey.

Criticism of performances is one thing, writing off the prospect of improvement in performances over time is quite another.

To be fair, some of the middle and latter match day threads would make people believe we had a player called Benteskey playing for us.

I'm not sure what it is you've taken from my post there. I'm certainly not saying Ayew is shit because he hadn't scored in eight minutes (or thirteen) I just wanted to make a point on a few people having said Benteke took time to settle - I think he scored nine goals in his first sixteen games or something similar - he took to it like a duck to water.  

I'm personally hoping for a gallic "Allez Ayew" at some point.

Just trying to use some illogical reasoning to make an invalid point. move along. nothing to see here.

He's also suffering very badly in comparison to his brother who's already being touted as one of the best signings of the summer.  Really hope he scores against Sunderland and starts to build the confidence.

He's also suffering very badly in comparison to his brother who's already being touted as one of the best signings of the summer.  Really hope he scores against Sunderland and starts to build the confidence.

It sometimes happens like that, not one to cause a storm but Swansea are playing better than us at present, so that could help him.....also Andre has had 6 weeks pre-season ahead of Jordan,so that could be a factor?

some who have watched both players seem to think, we have the better one ......so we will just have to wait and see.

IIRC BEnteke's record was worse than Kozak's over the same period of games (14?)

Not that that is particularly bad, but it's certainly not as good as it became for Benteke.

Benteke missed a lot of sitters in his early days...free header from 10 yards v Spurs, some awful shooting v WBA etc but you could just tell he had something and it took another two months for that to develop on the pitch.

Can't say I have the same feeling on Ayew tbh, we'll see.

It was not his goals though. His effect was always there. He ripped Liverpool apart. Threw Smalling and assisted that goal. Scored couple of goals that period. So its not just about his goals. Ive seen enough from him in the first couple of games to suggest hes better than anything we have. Its not as writing Ayew off. As some players need formation right for them,confedence and settling time. Weve seen it with Cleverly for example. But to suggest that Benteke didnt have special things in his beginning was really wrong.

he won us three of our first 5 wins. One of the one he didnt win it by himself he came as a sub to score the second.

I think he won us couple of draws too before the new year.

Just watching Andre Ayew in the build up to the ManUre game. He's turned up with some ridiculous shoes on and is strutting around during the warm-up with a sort of cocky, confident arrogance.

Can't help but think that this is what his younger brother is missing at the moment.

Â